Neutral Coasting

KanjiBusa

Seizures Suck!
Donating Member
Registered
Anyone know why when you put the bike in neutral to coast down a big hill, then when you are ready to put it in gear, you pull in the clutch and shift up, and it makes a terrible grinding noise? anyone notice this?

KB

i usually engage the clutch for a few seconds and then give a really solid upshift. it doesnt grind but u can def feel the bike gettin into gear

Not that I do it often, but I find it goes into gear much smoother if you pop/blip the throttle (get the RPMs up) just before kicking it into gear.

When coasting down a hill I normally just pull the clutch in, but not take it out of gear. The only time I do that is if I'm coming to a red light. I'm normally in 3rd gear so I just pull in the throttle, kick it down to neutral, and release the clutch. If the light changes to green while I'm still rolling, that's when I pull in the clutch and pop the throttle before I kick it into second.

I noticed this early on my 05 busa.  I honestly believe that this causes the 2nd gear problems notorious on the 05 model year.  Coasting in neutral, when you engage first or second most of the time it will make a horrible grinding noise and jerky shift.  I have since stopped coasting in neutral and will only engage it when at a complete stop.  I know it isn't proven, but I know it can't be good for the gears.

Yeah, mine's done that, too. I try to stay away from coasting in neutral for that reason.

(KanjiBusa @ Apr. 18 2007,19:26) Anyone know why when you put the bike in neutral to coast down a big hill, then when you are ready to put it in gear, you pull in the clutch and shift up, and it makes a terrible grinding noise? anyone notice this?

KB
If you're coasting down a hill in neutral @ 60, the trans is always doing 60. The engine is at
idle(clutch and trans input shaft turn @ the same speed as the engine)...you need to bring the
rpms up to the right speed for the trans to engage properly  
wink.gif

(BA BUSA @ Apr. 18 2007,22:08)
(KanjiBusa @ Apr. 18 2007,19:26) Anyone know why when you put the bike in neutral to coast down a big hill, then when you are ready to put it in gear, you pull in the clutch and shift up, and it makes a terrible grinding noise? anyone notice this?

KB
If you're coasting down a hill in neutral @ 60, the trans is always doing 60. The engine is at
idle(clutch and trans input shaft turn @ the same speed as the engine)...you need to bring the
wink.gif
+1
No synchronizers in bikes tranny.

Why would you coast when you have a 6 speed gearbox
rock.gif

Not recommended as you have not got complete control of the bike  
mad.gif

(BA BUSA @ Apr. 18 2007,21:08)

KB
wink.gif
Yep, What BA said...yep...that's it...

I coast in neutral all the time, as sometimes there's adequate gap between myself and the stopped vehicle at a light. Usually at very low speeds and I ride the rear brake ever so gently.

Now if the light goes green, and the vehicle ahead of me starts to pull away, a quick blip of the throttle makes the second-gear-grab a smoother endeavor, but it takes a bit of practice to see where the shift is the smoothest in this type of a manuever to rid yourself of gear collision. Gear collision is NO BUENO !!!

Now on a descent, shall we say on Mt. Chalreston chasing DOT-ORG members, I'm ALWAYS in one gear or another, clutch in periodically. Control is the word here.
cool.gif
There's still a need to try and match rpm's though if you accidentally drop into neutral.
super.gif

I should go out to my garage and show you pics of why you don't coast in the big N. I have a motor out of my 05 and the reason it is out you ask? Crappy second gear. mind you this bike has 9200 miles on it. And I take of it. So now I guess it has to get a 1432 kit.
firedevil.gif

(NightCrawler @ Apr. 18 2007,21:51) When coasting down a hill I normally just pull the clutch in, but not take it out of gear.
+1...much safer that way...not as much chance of messing up my tranny and if some complete #%&@* moron decides to do something completely idiotic in a cage, all i have to do is pop the clutch and twist the wrist and i am in control of my bike...it would be a bad feeling to see a grill looming in the rear view mirrors and have to take that extra second to try to get it back in gear before i could get out of the way
beerchug.gif

Any bike training I've done or manuals I've read all recommend that you never ever ever ever coast the bike in neutral at any speed. As Deldewey stated "Not recommended as you have not got complete control of the bike ". As far as I know, this is also stated in the Hayabusa Owners manual.

I'm non-plussed as to why anyone would ever want to do this. Just pull in the clutch and leave it in gear, or else leave out the clutch and let the engine-braking do it's job.

Crappy second gear? I tend to disagree. Big Yamahas also had the 'crappy second' rep for years (like the vmax and xs11). My max is fine @25K. It comes from crappy upshifts dragracing more than anything. But yea, if I coast down a big hill I just pull the clutch and leave it in gear.

(BA BUSA @ Apr. 18 2007,21:08)

KB
wink.gif
Yeah, I've try that and it didn't work, cuz even if you bring the RPM up to the whatever speed...you only have choice of 1st or 2nd gear...and the coasting speed is like 40 or 50? results are the same...slaming into gear...
So, I try not to do that in the first place...but, if I have to do this? then I slow down to 20~30...or put it in 6th gear and let it ride...

(Youkai @ Apr. 18 2007,20:36) I noticed this early on my 05 busa.  I honestly believe that this causes the 2nd gear problems notorious on the 05 model year.  
never heard of any notorious 2nd gear problem? i have an 05 myself---you know somthing i dont ?

(labs 4 sale @ Apr. 19 2007,11:27)
(deldewey @ Apr. 18 2007,22:54) Why would you coast when you have a 6 speed gearbox
rock.gif

Not recommended as you have not got complete control of the bike  
mad.gif
+1
+2 just asking to strip or break tranny teeth off...

Back