Low rpm power loss & top speed way down

Ok, finally have it torn down a bit. More to come tonight. I have not pulled plugs but I’m right there. I got stuck and air box, filter, and the stacks ??? I think that’s what the air intake to the system is called if not please correct so I can learn as I go. Anyway. The entire thing is saturated with oil. The filter, the air box, the outside of the (stacks), and the wire to the fuel injectors. I’m hoping my pics upload so you can see. I’m also including pics from surrounding areas and you will see there is no oil leak or oil anyplace but on the air box around the stacks holes, and anything within one once of that. In the pics you can see the bottom of air filter is saturated with oil. I know where all my oil went now. Question is how is it getting into air box and you can even see on air intake to motor it’s been going there as well. Lots of debre in there as well. Obviously bad. Lol gotta laugh, just paid for entire lower end to be fixed.

Just pulled one of the plugs. This is from #3 cylinder. I don’t know good from bad or other wise so please help here as well. Replacing all four obviously. I already ordered the k&n air filter. But if it’s just going to get saturated again.....

Thanks for all your help and support. I can take anything a part and put it back together like I found... it’s just I do not have the experience to know what it is I’m looking at, so thanks for being my eyes as well.

Jai
C1891D42-3205-42CD-8495-AFB2B9A39646.jpeg

E0BF5717-7DEB-449B-B775-2EB064D6F5A2.jpeg

88BDDE5C-9835-4ECB-B4B5-D9514CC9CDD6.jpeg

63518EB9-05B2-490C-9292-A31E99BAB322.jpeg

Your crank is building pressure and blowing it into the airbox.

Generally there are two things that make oil get pressurized enough to blow into the air filter.

one is over filling the crank case
the other is piston ring blow by causing exhaust gases to pressurize the crank.

As you mentioned you are no longer needing to use oil, you might have had a stuck piston ring.

Did the bike sit for any length of time?

The plugs look fouled as well, they should be a light tan color. When I take plugs out, I use a piece of cardboard and number which plug came from which cylinder, this gives me a snapshot of the health of each cylinder. This way if one plug is very fouled, you can look closer at a particular cylinder. At least all your plugs look the same more or less...

A compression test needs to be your next order of business....sooner rather than later, this will tell you what is going on.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input. Started watching video on compression test right after I posted the last set of pics. I’m picking up the kit in the morning to get it done.

The only time it sat was 6 weeks while they rebuilt the lower end and I received from elbow surgery. Other than that it’s ridden daily with exception of heavy rain.

I am hoping for a stuck ring being the issue. It is still no longer using oil. Each time I added oil I was careful to only go half glass. I’m pretty sure I did t over fill but I can not guarantee unfortunately. Sometimes holding that bike up bending over to see that little window is harder than it probably should be.

Again, thanks for the input. I will report back in the morning with compression test results.

Jai

Sorry....
So fouled plugs. Do they look fuel rich fouled as I was told will happen more since the ecu flash. Or fouled otherwise?

Jai

Good morning and happy Easter to those who observe the day!

Ok, I’ve pulled all plugs, bought a pretty good compression tester, and performed the operation. Here are the results as well as pics of all plugs now. The plugs left to right are 1-4.

Comp test:
1=171
2=168
3=170
4=168
I am hoping my gauges are just a little low on picking up pressure and at least consistent I. Doing so. As spec say something like 171-228. I’m close. Is this close enough to be strong?

Plugs:
I have no idea what good or bad looks like. I bought new plugs to put in.

Air filter:
Bought a new one. I am hoping in the week and half that I had to keep adding oil I over filled once and that is what caused all this in the first place. I’m going to clean everything up and recheck every other day for issues.

Summary.....
I still have no idea what caused all this and still very much welcome tests trials and ideas.

Jai
F3C700F3-DB61-455F-944B-072ED7BE4ED8.jpeg

1496F79A-0A2B-4BE8-ADA3-AD6F3DFE0BAD.jpeg

62BF0C4E-1F26-488E-9A48-328119E9233D.jpeg

6C2C9894-D117-4049-B07E-1DC36E36258A.jpeg

8C18CAA2-3C11-46E3-8DBC-2A2BB3BDD669.jpeg

….so, you overfilled once? If that's the case, there's where your oil came from..

Compression looks OK and none of them are low enough to show any piston ring blow by.

Plugs all look pretty close to the same so a new set should sort that out.

Put in the new plugs and filter, give the throttle bodies and air box a good cleaning and it should be GTG.

….so, you overfilled once? If that's the case, there's where your oil came from..

Compression looks OK and none of them are low enough to show any piston ring blow by.

Plugs all look pretty close to the same so a new set should sort that out.

Put in the new plugs and filter, give the throttle bodies and air box a good cleaning and it should be GTG.

Cleaned everything good. Put air box back on after changing plugs. For good measure changed oil. It runs better than it ever did!

Here is issue: at front of airbox on bottom is a spot for a rubber hose. I never took one off. What is supposed to be here? Also on rear brake side bottom of box is another spout for a large hose. Never took one off here either. What is missing?

Thanks guys!
Jai

Cleaned everything good. Put air box back on after changing plugs. For good measure changed oil. It runs better than it ever did!

Here is issue: at front of airbox on bottom is a spot for a rubber hose. I never took one off. What is supposed to be here? Also on rear brake side bottom of box is another spout for a large hose. Never took one off here either. What is missing?

Thanks guys!
Jai
Gen 1 guys will have to jump in with those hoses...

Sounds like the flapper valve is missing its vacuum hose, you need to find that hose and connect it otherwise you will have a vacuum leak at that hose... not good.
The big ‘spout’ as you put it, on the back of the air box right hand side( rear brake side) is for the PAIR valve hose. If your bike has had the entire PAIR valve system removed, that spout on the air box needs to be sealed off.
If you still have all the PAIR valve gear still on board, you need to find that hose and connect it to air box ‘spout’ hose fitting.

My Gen 1 1999 had 129,000kms and the compression is around 210psi each cylinder, so I would say yours is at the lower end of the scale for ring sealing health.
One thing you could try is to put the crankcase breather hose into a small plastic bottle, ride around for say 50 miles, then check how much oil is in that bottle.
This is a good test to look at the amount of heavy breathing the engine has, caused by compression blow-by from the rings.

Sounds like the flapper valve is missing its vacuum hose, you need to find that hose and connect it otherwise you will have a vacuum leak at that hose... not good.
The big ‘spout’ as you put it, on the back of the air box right hand side( rear brake side) is for the PAIR valve hose. If your bike has had the entire PAIR valve system removed, that spout on the air box needs to be sealed off.
If you still have all the PAIR valve gear still on board, you need to find that hose and connect it to air box ‘spout’ hose fitting.

Hey thanks for replying! Pair valve has been removed so I will stop that one up. Now, the cranck case hose is going to the back center spout on the box. Back meaning furthest middle spout. The one I still no longer have is on the front of the box in the center. Not the tiny hose that is going to very center of box. But forward towards handle bars. It’s a big spout.

Hey thanks for replying! Pair valve has been removed so I will stop that one up. Now, the cranck case hose is going to the back center spout on the box. Back meaning furthest middle spout. The one I still no longer have is on the front of the box in the center. Not the tiny hose that is going to very center of box. But forward towards handle bars. It’s a big spout.
You're getting it, keep it up.....

OK, that spout at the very front of the airbox should have a short breather hose attached to it . . . go to 2:31 on this vid and you will see it.

it's number 11 on this diagram.
1586728956818.png

Back