love bug season in Texas

busa_bill

Life - tastes like chicken!
Donating Member
Registered
I hate these things!!!
Can't go anywhere without getting the bike and me covered with the Texas plague.
Going to try mounting a bug zapper to the front faring.
DIE! DIE! DIE!

Honda cleaner going quick. Why God, why???

rant - vent
mad.gif

Same problem here in North Fla. Driving around in my work van yesterday I had to pull over 3 times to clean my windshield. Gonna make for some interesting ridind this weekend.
sad.gif

While riding around crop land that has been harvested i get pounded with those big ol grasshopper things. They feel like a rock hitting your helmet.

after all the rain in west texas. i keep a big can of lemon pledge and plenty of rags.in the hump.pledge works really well on bugs.and its cheap.

For anyone that doesn't know what they can do:
This is on my old Katana.. one day of riding..

bugs.jpg

The bugs can get out of control!!

I thought about getting a tear away sheild.

(LadyHawk @ Sep. 08 2006,06:47) For anyone that doesn't know what they can do:
This is on my old Katana.. one day of riding..

bugs.jpg
Those are the varmints right there.

Yes psycho, I ride in the woods. Lots safer that cager blondes on phones. The trees watch were they're going.
biggrin.gif

We can all thank the University of Florida (The Gators) for bringing them into the world.  The crappy thing is they have no predator other than an automobile or motorcycle.  They are full of some acid type fluid and no birds, insects, or animals will eat them.

So, like everyone who has experienced them would tell you, make sure you wash them off immediately because they will eat your paint off pretty darn quickly, and the longer you leave them on, the harder it is to scrub them off.  

Coming from a Florida State Seminole Fan, what can I tell you, the Gators have introduced a menace to society.

GO NOLES !!!

are they anything like sequidas? those things feel like your getting pelted with golfballs. a normal size sequida is about the size of your big toe(size 10 foot). THUNK!

woops spelled it wrong, there spelled "cicada" here is a picture of the bastages. they swarm when they are out of the larvae state.
CicadasCB-08.jpg

(mjb1206 @ Sep. 08 2006,13:22) We can all thank the University of Florida (The Gators) for bringing them into the world. The crappy thing is they have no predator other than an automobile or motorcycle. They are full of some acid type fluid and no birds, insects, or animals will eat them.

So, like everyone who has experienced them would tell you, make sure you wash them off immediately because they will eat your paint off pretty darn quickly, and the longer you leave them on, the harder it is to scrub them off.

Coming from a Florida State Seminole Fan, what can I tell you, the Gators have introduced a menace to society.

GO NOLES !!!
That's super!
An engineered insect with no natural predator.

Next we'll find out we paid for it through some Federal grant.
That would be the ultimate screw!

(mjb1206 @ Sep. 08 2006,13:22) We can all thank the University of Florida (The Gators) for bringing them into the world.  The crappy thing is they have no predator other than an automobile or motorcycle.  They are full of some acid type fluid and no birds, insects, or animals will eat them.

GO NOLES !!!
Love bugs are not the result of a genetic cloning experiment gone wrong, nor were they unwittingly loosed from a research facility charged with studying exotic insects. They also weren't bio-engineered as a natural solution to the mosquito problem. (Love bugs do not eat mosquitos: the adults do not eat at all, and larvae feed on decaying plant material.) These overly amorous critters are native to Central America; the best guess as to how they came to these United States places them as undiscovered stowaways who arrived by ship in Galveston or New Orleans around 1920. They migrated into Florida in 1947 from Louisiana, looked around, liked what they saw, and decided to stay. Their natural capacity for reproduction took care of the rest.

Barbara "it's a bug's life" Mikkelson

you can read more here: http://www.snopes.com/critters/lurkers/lovebugs.htm

(silverfreak @ Sep. 08 2006,06:09) after all the rain in west texas. i keep a big can of lemon pledge and plenty of rags.in the hump.pledge works really well on bugs.and its cheap.
Where in West Texas are ya?

Back