Does it ever disappoint you?

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
When you read a new motorcycle magazine cover to cover and are left without satisfaction? I subscribe to Cycle World, Motorcyclist, Rider, Sport Rider and Motorcycle Consumer News. Why can't motojournalists capture the incredible thrills of true "sport touring"? Why can't they talk about what it's like to ride an aftermarketed Hayabusa, zx-14, BMW etc., loaded up and ridden for days up a coast, through the mountains, exploring goat trails, either with friends or alone. That is the singlemost thrilling thing I do in this sport and am amazed how hard it is for me to find similar experiences in print. The Rock Store in the Malibu mountains, Alices Restaurant, the Dragon, special places motorcyclists go (and visit when on long distance tours)...I don't know, something isn't ringing my bell in these publications!

Thanks for allowing this rant. Doyle (ps I do A LOT of sport touring with various types of bikes and, when properly set up, nothing is better than my HayBus!) Doyle

IMG_5683.jpg

DSC04941.jpg

DSC04747.jpg

DSC04930.jpg

I used to get Cycle world but that started getting dull about 2 years ago. I still like Sport Rider best of all but it's definitely not sport touring specific. How much can you really say though at this point that hasn't already been said. I think it would be hard to keep fresh material in a motorcycle publication. I dropped my subs and just pick and choose at this point.

I only subscribe to two magazines and if I get one every 3 months that actually interests me, I'm happy.

Most of what's being published today is just, junk. I'm starting to collect magazines from the 1930s-50s

I think if you lived around here or I lived out there we would be great friends. You and I like the same kind of adventures it sounds like. :)

Tis why I cancelled all my subscriptions years ago. I will go flip thru them at the newstand and if something strikes my fancy I will buy it. This goes for magazines for all my hobbies.

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

I think if you lived around here or I lived out there we would be great friends. You and I like the same kind of adventures it sounds like. :)

Then get on out here Holmes! There's so many places to explore! Doyle

(below pic of me saving you a spot!)

DM_46917.jpg

Check out a magazine called "Rider"

It's what you are looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Check out a magazine called "Rider"

It's what you are looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Rider is my favorite but even they don't get to the "knee puck" levels of sport touring and put too much into "big twin" impressions(I'll shut up now lest I be called an irresponsible squid).

Why can't motojournalists capture the incredible thrills of true "sport touring"? Why can't they talk about what it's like to ride an aftermarketed Hayabusa, zx-14, BMW etc., loaded up and ridden for days up a coast, through the mountains, exploring goat trails, either with friends or alone

The guys that ride like this have no time to write about it:laugh: You have a better chance of finding some Sport Touring comparison between different bikes on youtube than a magazine

Lets face it bikes don't change much year to year, every once in a blue moon a new model comes out and trying to fill a magazine every month with the little changes they do make to a cycle 1 a year it's amazing they can roll out a new mag every month.

What you are wanting maybe is to know the best roads to ride state by state, dining and lodging locations and maybe things to do while touring, I don't see any of those mags you named giving one or a group writers on different touring bikes a week or two to go touring on their tab.. If they do let me know I want that job, I know how to write :whistle::laugh:

If enough subscribers ask for a ST shoot out I am sure they will do one, I am tired of reading these long articles on how they have removed 1/2 and ounce from here or there and got 5 hp from doing something and it's a whole new animal this year :laugh:

European magazines are much better. I think the best one is Bike. CW had a shootout this month between the liter bikes. They seperated the bikes by price with the Aprilia, MV, Ducati in one group and the BMW, R1, GSXR, Honda & Zx10 in the lower priced category. They then tested them on different parts of the track so you can't really compare the 2 classes. This is such an obvious attempt to rig a test its not funny. How do you not test the BMW against the top cost bikes? They also selected the Honda over the BMW, which is stupid on face value.

THe bottom line is reading CW is like talking to a slesman in the showroom. It's just not worth the paper used to print it.

I have to agree with ya Doyle... nothing better than finding new roads to explore...And the Busa does a great job in that role. It is quite abit more of a sport bike than say a connie 14/st1300/Fjr etc..... I think the Busa is truly a multi role machine..especially with it's mind bending power and great handling for what it is....

2012-06-29 18.06.48.jpg

Remember, without the last pic.....we couldn't have gotten to the 1st and 2nd ones!

DSC04837.jpg

DSC04989.jpg

DSC04983.jpg

Speaking of magazines, hell yes I have a problem with them. I'm a big guy and even my BKing has my legs cranked up to tight. The little tiny guys that write the articles are comfortable on anything. Every bike out there has roughly the same distance from seat to foot peg. Made for midgets.:banghead: If the US magazines started banging on this issue the manufacturers would increase that distance and make all of our bikes easier to ride.:bowdown: (I don't want a cruiser, they are too slow.) So, we keep getting bikes that kill my 55 year old knees and legs. If I could increase that seat to peg distance by 4 inches I'd be in hog heaven! I have to use Vicoden and keep my rides to three hours right now.

So the magazines drool over uncomfortable bikes made for Asian midgets. Oh well, I will martyr on...........

that sign there says impassable during wet weather guess that doesnt mean snow huh:laugh:

I like RoadRUNNER. They go to a lot of different places on different kinds of bikes, not just Harley dressers or BMWs with all the pricey adventure kit. They provide maps of the trip, local color, decent photography, facts & info about the area plus the bike and gear that did the trip. I'll use their map and alter it for where I want to go and what I want to see. While they don't mention triple-digit touring, I have a feeling it's happened but they accidently forgot to include it in the article.

Back