Why no road tests or direct comparisons for zx 14?

drumminman

Donating Member
Registered
that some mag should have done a full blown test. The most comprehensive article I've seen is the one comparing it to the Yamaha FZ 1. The article was about sport touring and how these two stack up, but they're not even similar!

When the Busa came out in '99 Motorcyclist did an in depth review and comparo with the Blackbird. Seems a natural to do a Busa/ZX 14 comparo!

Does anyone else find this extremely odd?
rock.gif

Not really since the 14 is all hype and anyone who knows anything knows it...

There isnt enough of a threat to the Busa to make a big article about it.. it is just another production bike in a long list of production bikes that was sold as a Busa beater and fell flat on its face

all these mags will not do a comparison on the busa an 14.because thy know the Busa is in a class all bye itself.LONG LIVE THE KING.
super.gif

I wonder who will get the power band fixed first the zx-14 or the R1? Both of them are comparatively weak down low (where most of your time like it or not is spent) and then rip on the top end. The Hayabusa succeeds on the street because of its seamless smooth torque curve, as does the GSXR 1000. I heard Yamaha may go back to 4 valves next year to get that hole in the middle filled in. I read of some of the zx14 guys taking one set of butterflies out of the throttle bodies to accomplish the same. And you know damn well Kawi tore down many a Hayabusa in the product development phase to see what they needed to do to topple it. Maybe Motorcyclist shoulda compared these two instead of the FZ1-ZX14 comparo they did.

When a magazine comes out with a comparison of the Busa and ZX-14, I don't think you guys are going to be very happy.

When a magazine comes out with a comparison of the Busa and ZX-14, I don't think you guys are going to be very happy.
Why, just because the 14 "MIGHT" be able to beat me to the next Stop Light with the right rider
rock.gif
wow.gif
! My answer, "OH" ya want'na race, OK, is that 1000 in 24 or 1500 in 24 or 36 hours
laugh.gif

Sorry Guys, I'am kinda getting tired of hearing about how the STOCK 14 can Beat the STOCK Busa by .00000002 sec in a 1/4 mile run. Which to me isn't even a race, it's just no big deal on the street. EGO's - EGO's - EGO', how tinder some must be. And to those I say, "GET A LIFE" because the new KTM Sportsbike Twin coming out with 160 hp (or the Duc MotoGP rep. with 220 HP and 402 lbs) at the rear wheel is going to deflate it, no matter what you ride now  
race.gif

My email to MC,

"How can you guys even compare a Kawi ZX-14 against a Yami FZ1
rock.gif
That’s not even a “Apples to Orangesâ€, it’s more like “Apples to Cherriesâ€. Why didn’t you guys compare the “new King, Kawi 14†against the true competitor that it was truly made to go up against?…. The almight Busa. Sad to say, the FZ1 falls short of even competing with GSXR-1000, or CBR-1000RR, much less the oversized, battle ship rear looking, side George Foreman Grill, ZX-14. And you put the Busa in the page behind the Compro article??? Okay, how much did the Kawi Rep spend on dinner and party for you guys the week before you decided to do the “Comparoâ€? I know that the Water Grill in Downtown have some pretty good seafood and heard that Spearmint Rhino has some pretty nice looking girls."

Anybody out there play shuffleboard? See the game is played like so. You step up to the line and cast your puck (or stone or whatever they’re called) down the table and hope to be closest to the scoring line without going out (into the sand) of bounds. But then your opponent has the option of A)throwing his puck where he chooses, B) trying to hit one of his own pucks to better its position or C)hitting your puck and trying to knock it either out of scoring position or off of the table completely. See where I am going with this? For the sake of brevity lets say Kawi went first (ZX11) and they were looking pretty good for a while. Then Honda (CBR11) stepped up and barely nudged the Kawi puck off the table. Then Suzuki stepped up (Busa) and punted the Honda deep into the sand. Then Kawi stepped up and threw again(ZX12). They missed the target (Busa) and teetered off the end of the table into the sand. So now Honda had to run home and asked BMW (K12) to sub for them against Suzuki and Kawasaki. Suzuki was at the bar hitting on the waitress when Kawi decided to take another shot (2nd generation ZX12) and again they missed the mark and teetered off the table into the sand. BMW steps up and throws and it goes way wide and falls off the side of the table. Suzuki who by now is thinking their pretty well set with the waitress and suddenly sees Kawi sneak over and take yet another shot (ZX14) out of turn! This time Kawi misses the Busa but pulls up just about dead even with the Busa at the edge of the table. So Suzuki says to the waitress “hold that thought little lady this wont take but a momentâ€￾ and saunters over to the table for some good old fashioned pay back!

To be continued…

Anybody out there play shuffleboard? See the game is played like so. You step up to the line and cast your puck (or stone or whatever they’re called) down the table and hope to be closest to the scoring line without going out (into the sand) of bounds. But then your opponent has the option of A)throwing his puck where he chooses, B) trying to hit one of his own pucks to better its position or  C)hitting your puck and trying to knock it either out of scoring position or off of the table completely. See where I am going with this? For the sake of brevity lets say Kawi went first (ZX11) and they were looking pretty good for a while. Then Honda (CBR11) stepped up and barely nudged the Kawi puck off the table. Then Suzuki stepped up (Busa) and punted the Honda deep into the sand. Then Kawi stepped up and threw again(ZX12). They missed the target (Busa) and teetered off the end of the table into the sand. So now Honda had to run home and asked BMW (K12) to sub for them against Suzuki and Kawasaki. Suzuki was at the bar hitting on the waitress when Kawi decided to take another shot (2nd generation ZX12) and again they missed the mark and teetered off the table into the sand. BMW steps up and throws and it goes way wide and falls off the side of the table. Suzuki who by now is thinking their pretty well set with the waitress and suddenly sees Kawi sneak over and take yet another shot (ZX14) out of turn! This time Kawi misses the Busa but pulls up just about dead even with the Busa at the edge of the table. So Suzuki says to the waitress “hold that thought little lady this wont take but a momentâ€￾ and saunters over to the table for some good old fashioned pay back!

To be continued…
???Huh????Que?
rock.gif
?

sorry, I follow your analogy... but that's a interesting story... So who goes home with the pretty waitress at the end for a ride, Grand-pa?

<!--EDIT|eynlai
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151714202 -->

If they go head to head, Kawasaki will have to answer the questions at the end of the day. Questions being how does it feel to come up short AGAIN...

Motocyclist did a pretty comprehensive article on the ZX14. I don't like Tim Carrithers much and think he is biased against Suzuki, so his article blows as far as I'm concerned. However, they did get into the meat of that bike... (especially since it can grill meat!!! HAR!)

In my opinion, even with Carrither's boneheaded bias, it didn't convince me that the ZX14 is the new king...
rock.gif
The following month, he did an article on the busa... kinda back-peddling from his previous month's comments.

I was thinking about buying a G. Foreman grill after reading that article though... i wonder if that was some kind of sublimal message thingy...
tounge.gif

Why, just because the 14 "MIGHT" be able to beat me to the next Stop Light with the right rider
rock.gif
wow.gif
! My answer, "OH" ya want'na race, OK, is that 1000 in 24 or 1500 in 24 or 36 hours
laugh.gif

Sorry Guys, I'am kinda getting tired of hearing about how the STOCK 14 can Beat the STOCK Busa by .00000002 sec in a 1/4 mile run. Which to me isn't even a race, it's just no big deal on the street. EGO's - EGO's - EGO', how tinder some must be. And to those I say, "GET A LIFE" because the new KTM Sportsbike Twin coming out with 160 hp (or the Duc MotoGP rep. with 220 HP and 402 lbs) at the rear wheel is going to deflate it, no matter what you ride now
race.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
super.gif
super.gif

+1

bowdown.gif

bowdown.gif

bowdown.gif

super.gif

My email to MC,

rock.gif
That’s not even a “Apples to Orangesâ€, it’s more like “Apples to Cherriesâ€. Why didn’t you guys compare the “new King, Kawi 14†against the true competitor that it was truly made to go up against?…. The almight Busa. Sad to say, the FZ1 falls short of even competing with GSXR-1000, or CBR-1000RR, much less the oversized, battle ship rear looking, side George Foreman Grill, ZX-14. And you put the Busa in the page behind the Compro article??? Okay, how much did the Kawi Rep spend on dinner and party for you guys the week before you decided to do the “Comparoâ€? I know that the Water Grill in Downtown have some pretty good seafood and heard that Spearmint Rhino has some pretty nice looking girls."
trad again, we did not compare the 14 with the FZ 1 the MAGS did...

My email to MC,

rock.gif
 That’s not even a “Apples to Orangesâ€, it’s more like “Apples to Cherriesâ€.  Why didn’t you guys compare the “new King, Kawi 14†against the true competitor that it was truly made to go up against?…. The almight Busa.  Sad to say, the FZ1 falls short of even competing with GSXR-1000, or CBR-1000RR, much less the oversized, battle ship rear looking, side George Foreman Grill, ZX-14.  And you put the Busa in the page behind the Compro article???  Okay, how much did the Kawi Rep spend on dinner and party for you guys the week before you decided to do the “Comparoâ€?  I know that the Water Grill in Downtown have some pretty good seafood and heard that Spearmint Rhino has some pretty nice looking girls."
trad again, we did not compare the 14 with the FZ 1 the MAGS did...
Read it again. I was just CCing you guys on my email to Motorcyclist. Not anyone on this board. MC = Motorcyclist. They might publish, they might not. But I got my .02 in.

Agreed, the 14 is all hype, but is does make better hp than a busa. recent dyno run with an arrow pipe it was good for 188hp ( at 6000 ft above sea level) My busa is good for 175 with a full yoshi and filter. The 14 must first get to 6000rpm before it begins to go, by then the busa is down the road.......
A 1400 busa here makes 205 /210 hp, better than any 14 kwaka.

Back