Looking for Turbo Bracket Ideas ???

arthur39

Registered
Anyone have ideas or pictures of a bracket supporting the weight of the turbo upwards, so not all the weight of the turbo is on the header? I'm thinking of welding a tab on the the housing and running a "kicker" somewhere to the engine, just seeing if anyone has a tested and true solution, I thought this might help prevent stress cracks on the header, it is alot of weight to support, thanks in advance

Anyone have ideas or pictures of a bracket supporting the weight of the turbo upwards, so not all the weight of the turbo is on the header? I'm thinking of welding a tab on the the housing and running a "kicker" somewhere to the engine, just seeing if anyone has a tested and true solution, I thought this might help prevent stress cracks on the header, it is alot of weight to support, thanks in advance

We have done several billet turbo brackets for customers with Hahn kits, which are notorious for cracking headers. We tie the exhaust flange to the front of the motor - it takes some weight off the header, and helps to isolate the vibrations that a turbo hanging in the breeze sees . . . so far, none of these setups has cracked a head pipe.:whistle:

aurthur let me get some time to sketch something up
I think using the oil cooler mounting points with a bracket going to the exhaust housing flange (that goes to center section) would work good

Would it be worth the time to make something with rod ends...so that you can bolt the ends and the adjust the center section to a point that is just right? That would require a straight line...it may not be feasable. Good luck in your efforts...if you make a bracket please post a pic.

thanks, Chris, I was definately thinking of bolting to the exhaust housing, and maybe welding a tab to the intake and making a "V" to a set point on the engine just not sure where to bolt it to on the engine, I have to take the intake side off to move the outlet for the up pipe anway, so I thought this would be a good time to do this, Ill try to get some pics this weekend,

ryc1966 I'm also entertaining the thought of using turnbuckles, so I can adjust the centers, I have 2 nice aluminum ones I'd like to use if I can, otherwise just a straight bracket

I beg to differ
They do still tend to crack

Well I am a certified tig welder in medical and if there are no flaws and nothing hitting it then possible pore materials being used? You would not believe some of the nice pretty welds I have seen under x-ray that are no good at all. And yeah I do understand the materials are on the thin side it takes alot of years to be able to weld this type of stuff and not crack just from poor welds. I do also agree it should be braced up before even connecting to the turbo for the use of removable gaskets.

it is stainless and tig welded, it is not new, and it did have a couple of stress cracks by the flange, i had it repaired and ceramic coated, I am trying to protect my investment, and not have to deal with a stress crack in the future

header.jpg

Back