Turbo Header Cracked..........

kawiboy11

Donating Member
Registered
Ok, my bike has been at this shop in Omaha for 2 months now.  It was on the dyno finally on Friday.  Get this, they guy is tunning the bike & was 75 percent done when one of the the Turbo Header tubes cracked!  My god, what else could go wrong with it!  This is the question for you guys, can I have the crack welded to finish the dyno, then get a new header later on?  What can I do to get the bike done, fast? The problem is my header is not of a kit, it is something someone made, & I guess he did not do a very good job.  Help me out if you can!  
mad.gif

Edited for language. Professor

P1040982.JPG

Throw some JB weld on it and finish the dyno tune then get it welded after!

I was thinking of using JB weld, then getting it fixed after the dyno is finished. I will get pictures of it and post them. I don't think though, the JB weld will hold up to the high temperatures, I think it's got a max of 600.

Get it fixed right and JB weld is not it. Next thing you know you'll be looking for a new wheel for your turbo from a chunk of JB weld that let loose and went through it.

Get somebody that really knows their tig/mig temps, cause if you run the
bead too hot, you can weaken around the weld and crack that.
I suggest a scrap patch over the crack with a tig low temp bead around the perimeter.

(Luvanicebum @ Jul. 01 2007,14:50) Get somebody that really knows their tig/mig temps, cause if you run the
bead too hot, you can weaken around the weld and crack that.
I suggest a scrap patch over the crack with a tig low temp bead around the perimeter.
So you mean basically weld a small patch over the existing crack?

Cody

Yes, you'll need to patch across it to make it stronger. You need a GOOD welder and stay away from JB weld. Look for an experienced welder that is/was aircraft certified.

IMO get a new header now. If the material was compromised to start with, you don't really know the integrity of the header and may find additional problems during the remainder of the test. I would also opt for a manufactured header v. homemade because of the problem. Haste does make waste. Good luck regardless of what you do.

If it cracked once it will crack somewhere else again, be ready. Is it cast or stainless steel?

Primarily what your looking at on this one particular header tuber is this:
The bend of the header made the wall thinner in the very spot where the
freshly fired, hottest gasses hit before making the bend downward. In other words this concept wasn't foreseen and a thinner guage header material was chosen.
In order to save this header and another crack in another tube at the same spots. While you're at it, drop a small half round patch on all of them at the bend. Approximately 2"long and 1 1/2" wide. Probably wouldn't take much more time and you'll save yourself from having to tear the bike down again.

Or buy a manufactured header if you have to cash.
Good luck.

I would buy a manufactured header, but I don't think it will fit the current turbo set up I have? They are all different flanges that connect to the header depending on what turbo kit you go with , right? So, let's say a Mr. Turbo header would not work for me, my only choice is to get the same header, made again, by a professional.

(dadofthree @ Jul. 01 2007,15:31) IMO get a new header now. If the material was compromised to start with, you don't really know the integrity of the header and may find additional problems during the remainder of the test. I would also opt for a manufactured header v. homemade because of the problem. Haste does make waste. Good luck regardless of what you do.
I will get a new header, though, we just want to get the bike finished, meaning off the Dyno, the place is 75 % done with the tunning, so we just want to patch it for the short term and hope it holds up till it's done on the dyno.

Then, I can get a header made or ordered.

(kawiboy11 @ Jul. 01 2007,16:34) I would buy a manufactured header, but I don't think it will fit the current turbo set up I have?  They are all different flanges that connect to the header depending on what turbo kit you go with , right?  So, let's say a Mr. Turbo header would not work for me, my only choice is to get the same header, made again, by a professional.
My fab guy could make your header from stainless....all I would need is the current one you have and the type of flange T3-T4 and so forth let me know. He does outstanding work. He just made an intake, header unit for me on a custom T-Rex project I am working on as well as a custom 2.5 inch full exhaust system....

(GPW @ Jul. 01 2007,17:29)
(kawiboy11 @ Jul. 01 2007,16:34) I would buy a manufactured header, but I don't think it will fit the current turbo set up I have? They are all different flanges that connect to the header depending on what turbo kit you go with , right? So, let's say a Mr. Turbo header would not work for me, my only choice is to get the same header, made again, by a professional.
My fab guy could make your header from stainless....all I would need is the current one you have and the type of flange T3-T4 and so forth let me know. He does outstanding work. He just made an intake, header unit for me on a custom T-Rex project I am working on as well as a custom 2.5 inch full exhaust system....
i would be interested in that, i'll let you know

Back