Looking for gear donations for my sons

thrasherfox

BUSA
Donating Member
Registered
I am picking up 2 dirt bikes form my dad that he has no use for for free.

They need some work but I have a friend that is going to help me get them running..

However I have never had dirt bikes so my sons do not have any gear.

Looking to see if anyone has any gear out there they are no longer using and is just sitting around..

My 3 sons are:

14 - 5'10, 155 pounds

13 - 5'5, 130 pounds

9 year old 4'? 60 pounds

Need primarily dirt bike helmets

then after that, gloves, chest protectors, boots typical stuff

not wanting anyone to buy new stuff to give me, nor give me anything they are using.. honestly looking for stuff that is no longer use to anyone.

Funds are tight and have been for awhile but I really want to get my boys into riding dirt bikes for numerous reasons and figure if I am getting two dirt bikes for free I can pass that up.

of course I will pay shipping cost, and if someone wants some money for some gear, if it is a real kick arse price will probably scrounge some money up.

If no one has anything no big deal, I will just get gear as I get money or run across good deals, just figure I wont let them ride with out certain gear and the sooner I get the basic gear the sooner they can ride...

Thanks on behalf of my sons and from me in advance for any help anyone can offer..

Ron

Ron ... you know that I've got "stuff" laying around. Please PM me your addy. I'll out it in the mail on Monday.

Your 14 yr. old is bigger than me
wow.gif
He's gonna be a monster
super.gif

Oh and sorry no gear. Wasn't smart enough to wear gear on the dirt

Hey Dude

Don't have any gear that would fit the boys, let me know if ya need some help getting the bikes running
wink.gif

Just got back home today, was gone for a week going to a Architecture course

I feel dain bramaged..

Course was given by to professors from George Mason university.. I think they fire hosed us with a semesters worth of gradutate level DoD architecture..

Yeah I know.. I am whining again…

Thanks for the offer everyone!!!

(sageronin @ Feb. 03 2007,07:51) Ron ... you know that I've got "stuff" laying around. Please PM me your addy. I'll out it in the mail on Monday.
DJ – I will call you.. I know you have stuff laying around.. but you know me and I don’t want to ever take advantage of you. You are one of the most awesome, selfless people I have ever met and I know you would probably give me anything I asked lol.. and for that reason I will accept some stuff from ya.. but want to talk to you first ok bro.. your friendship means a lot to me and I never want to take advantage of that
smile.gif

And you really need to take a vacation and get your but out here so I can repay your hospitality. You can stay at my place and I will let you ride my motorcycle. I will see if I can get Rich to come down and have him take you on some of our roads out here.. I can follow in my truck
biggrin.gif

I will probably call you tomorrow....

(BA BUSA @ Feb. 03 2007,18:13) Hey Dude

Don't have any gear that would fit the boys, let me know if ya need some help getting the bikes running
wink.gif
Rich – LOL.. you have NO idea what you just offered yourself up for lol.. one bike is a Honda Xl350 dirt / street bike.. I want to basically make it totally dirt.. but it has probably been sitting since the stone age.. my dad said he is sure it has rust in the tank, lots of stuff broke and missing off it.. the good news it is in better shape than the other bike
smile.gif

The other bike is a Kawasaki, I think it might be like a 50cc. Want to get that one running for Dallas.. but it also has been sitting and doesn’t even have a carburetor on it.

Both bikes need a crap load of work (more work that I remembered lol )

And.. as much as I hate to spend any many, and my wife is probably going to shoot me, I couldn’t pass up this deal. A friend is selling me one of his sons 250cc dirt bike for $500.00. the thing is immaculate. His is upgrading both his sons to larger bikes… I really didn’t want to by anything at this time but for what I am trying to do with my sons (another positive sport to involve them in) I didn’t think too many deals like this come up often. So I crapped out the money.

So at least I will have one good bike that runs well and they can start riding as soon as I get some gear for the two older boys. But Dallas is going to have to wait until I can get the smaller bike running “IF†I can get it running..

The good news is if you can help me with it, they have a motorcycle junk yard about 20 minutes from my house and with your help, and the age of the bikes. I am thinking we might be able to get the parts needed real cheap to get them running.

Let me know when you might have some time to come down. Free lodging and meals
biggrin.gif

(heavybusa @ Feb. 03 2007,17:56) Will a street helmet work?
Heavy – Thanks for the offer on the street helmet.

Trying to get an actual dirt bike helmet for them I . I know beggars cant be choosers but I am thinking with dirt bike riding it is a lot more intense and a dirt bike helmet I think offers better vision, lighter and a little more open so you don’t feel claustrophobic.

None of my boys have ever road before so I want to try and make it as easy on them to control the bike without other issues.. but thank you very very much for the offer.. it is greatly appreciated…

(thrasherfox @ Feb. 04 2007,00:28)
(heavybusa @ Feb. 03 2007,17:56) Will a street helmet work?
Heavy – Thanks for the offer on the street helmet.

Trying to get an actual dirt bike helmet for them I . I know beggars cant be choosers but I am thinking with dirt bike riding it is a lot more intense and a dirt bike helmet I think offers better vision, lighter and a little more open so you don’t feel claustrophobic.

None of my boys have ever road before so I want to try and make it as easy on them to control the bike without other issues.. but thank you very very much for the offer.. it is greatly appreciated…
beerchug.gif

(Black Bird Killer @ Feb. 03 2007,08:06) Your 14 yr. old is bigger than me
wow.gif
He's gonna be a monster
super.gif

Oh and sorry no gear. Wasn't smart enough to wear gear on the dirt
Yeah.. I think my 14 year old is going to be a big man..

I am extremely gear paranoid..

Was talking to someone a while back, real sad thing. a ladies son was a senior in high school, was about ready to graduate in a month and already enlisted in the Marine Corp (going in as soon as he graduated)

Was out quading and killed himself...

Not sure if gear would have saved him or not.. but I feel I am kind of in a catch twenty two. I feel as a dad I need to protect my sons, but I also need to teach them everything I can.

So I am guessing out of the three boys, at least one, or maybe all are going to want a street bike at some time.

My 14 year old asked me last year when he can get a Busa.

My 13 year old is a thrill seeker and I have taken him up to 120 on my Busa ( I had him wearing my wifes leathers and a street helmet) and he got a kick out of it..

So as young men, eventually if they want a motorcycle, they are going to get one, one day if I agree or not.

So with that in mind. I want to teach them myself, start them out on dirt bikes and equip them with all the knowledge I can possibly get into them about safety and riding..

I am going to be paranoid and worried about them riding dirt bikes.. but the more gear I can get on them, the better I am going to feel and hopefully if / when they do go down they wont get hurt too bad
smile.gif

One of my middle sons friends who is 13 was dirt bike riding and hit a wall of dirt, compressed the forks all the way, broke the handle bar and he broke his collar bone….

So accidents are probably going to happen, I just feel as their dad I need to teach them the importance of gear and hopefully minimize their injuries
biggrin.gif

Moved to Wanted because.. well that is where I should have put it in the first place..

Thought about this on my 4 hour drive home today lol

Back