Longevity?

Cassius

Registered
Sorry if this has been answered before - I was not able to find the info.

How many miles is a Gen2 engine good for (I guess that ? applies to Gen1 engines as well 'cause Gen2 are too new)? Assuming that maintenance was done by the book and that the engine was not radically modified (no NOS, turbo, crazy exhaust w/o remapping, etc).

I realize that the answers may be all over the board, but there's gotta some bell curve type distribution at play here.

What goes bad first? exhaust valves, bearings, piston/rings, camshaft chain?

Just curious (I already got some pretty strong data about my other bikes).

Thx!

I don't think the Gen 2's have been out long enough to answer your questions. I know of two Gen 2 owners on this board that have put over 30K and so far no issues to really speak of. I have 12K on mine right now and the only thing I've had to replace was the front brake rotors. That is only because I changed to HH pads and cooked the rotors with too much heat.

I guess the titanium valves, and valve seats, are the first to need maintenance, after 40 000 miles or so. Most bikes needs to get the valve seats recutted long before anything else require attention.

Scar just put his in for maintenance at 40K. Haven't heard of any issues. If you take care of the bike I think you'll see over a 100K before suffering any major issues based on what I've read on several of our Gen I owners. Don't know of any Gen IIs over the half century mark yet. If there is, hopefully they'll speak up.

Sorry if this has been answered before - I was not able to find the info.

How many miles is a Gen2 engine good for (I guess that ? applies to Gen1 engines as well 'cause Gen2 are too new)? Assuming that maintenance was done by the book and that the engine was not radically modified (no NOS, turbo, crazy exhaust w/o remapping, etc).

I realize that the answers may be all over the board, but there's gotta some bell curve type distribution at play here.

What goes bad first? exhaust valves, bearings, piston/rings, camshaft chain?

Just curious (I already got some pretty strong data about my other bikes).

Thx!
Unless you plan to keep the busa for the next 20 years and/or 100k+ miles you'll have sold it wayyy before the engine wears out :laugh:
Modern sportbikes will last most guys forever unless they race or commute lots of miles daily on them :;):

Thx.

Yes I thought the valves would be the first item requiring attention. 40 to 50K mi is in line with some other Japanese products.

Well Big Red One, I made the decision a few years ago to never sell a bike again. I have regretted doing it too many times in the past. I just can't buy a new one as often, that's all, and storage will eventually become an issue. I doubt that I'll ever reach 100K mi with any of them. But the Busa is here to stay.

My gen 1 had over 70k before I decided to rip it out, inspect, and then rebuild it. There was nothing wrong with the engine. There was no excessive wear any where. Bearings even looked good. With regular PM your engine will last a very long time in stock form. :thumbsup:

Back