Slipons and engine life?

Sous

Donating Member
Registered
I am sure this has been posted many times before, but I was unable to find a clear answer. If you can find one, feel free to respond with the link.

I have a 2008 Hayabusa with M4 slipons and no other modifications to the engine or exhaust. I am concerned about engine life at high mileage in the range of 50K+ miles. I am not looking for any more performance out of the engine, or any reaction speed to the throttle.

My specific question is this, should I get a PCIII, bazzaz or ECU tune based on the slipons maybe causing long term engine damage. I am mostly concerned about the exhaust valves, but would like to hear from others that have faced a similar issue.

If I can get away with not having a tune done, I will do that. But, if $300 and a tune will prevent the engine from having issues in the future, I will go that route. I want what is best for the life of the engine.

I have heard that you do not neeld a custom tune if you just have slip-ons, but for the little money that you would spend for a tune is a lot cheaper then having the motor rebuilt or replaced. It is always better to be safe then sorry! Good luck.

Here is my 2 cents... there is just a little more exhaust flow with slip ons then stock. The catalitic converter and o2 sensor is still working to keep the bike in the area of fueling it needs to be, even with the minimal decrease of back pressure. I can't see how the engine can be hurt or cause any long term problems with the set up you are running.

I had my old K8 on the dyno to check the A/F ratio (just for fun). At the time I had a pipercross (non race) air filter & Two Brothers slip-ons.

With the O2 sensor & ECU unchanged the A/F ratio was still on the rich side. No worries about running lean & doing any damage :thumbsup:

However, IMO if you do go for PC / Bazza / ECU flash & custom tune your bike will run smoother.

Nothing is needed for a slip-on, but if you get it tuned it will run better, smoother, and get better milage. If you get it tuned I would recommend a Bazzaz.

A slip-on will have zero effect on engine life.

Back