Long rides

rtvegas

Registered
Greetings Boardmembers=)

I currently live in Henderson Nevada (pretty close to Las Vegas). One of these days, I'd like to ride my Hayabusa to San Diego California, or Phoenix AZ.  I'm basically asking experienced riders for tips on how to be prepared for a 400-500 mile ride.  

Thanks in advance for the help,

Ray

Plan your route, figure in fuel, food, water stops, dress for safety and weather... other than that enjoy the ride...

On long trips I take a tire repair kit that includes plugs, patches, inflator, chain lube as you should lube the chain every 300 - 500 mi.,spare key for the bike, Honda cleaner and polish for the bugs! Hope this helps. Almost forgot a tool to remove the front tire and wheel. You can get one from one from one of the board members, I think it's KKatan, or make one from a 15/16 hex head bolt and two nuts.

<!--EDIT|GSXcite
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147915310 -->

If you PM your bike before the trip you should be ok, carry a cell for anything major... maybe a AAA card too... let me know if you ride to Phoenix... I am coming to Vegas for bike week in Sept, 14-17.. maybe we can hook up and do some riding or Spearmint Rhino...

If you PM your bike before the trip you should be ok, carry a cell for anything major... maybe a AAA card too...   let me know if you ride to Phoenix...  I am coming to Vegas for bike week in Sept, 14-17.. maybe we can hook up and do some riding or Spearmint Rhino...
Thanks again for the advice...  I'm looking forward to taking my long ride.. Of course, I can always start off with shorter rides.. I think the Spearmint Rhino is only about 30 miles from my place =) LOL

400-500 ride is a ncie medium ride. Just take it easy and stretch each time ya stop for gas and stay hydrated. Get ya a good mp3 player and you will be there before you know it.

I just rode to Vegas and back from Phoenix a couple weeks ago. It can be boring. I wiched I had an mp3 player or my satellite radio with me but I forgot it. Also think about things for comfort like dropped pegs or bar risers. And yes stop often and stretch. I have a stock seat and my behind was aching after about half way. It was 275 miles one way. Let us know when you head this way and maybe I can meet you somewhere for the ride into town.

Man, I've made several long trips, and the best advice I can give is this. Prepare for the very worst situation you can Imagine and pack accordingly, otherwise enjoy the trip, relax, and know your prepared for any unforseen events...makes the ride even more relaxing. Stay safe, and watch out for them cagers.
cool.gif

Hmm, air compressor on board, FM Radio & CD Player (yes, I know, I'm old school.
biggrin.gif
), siphon hose, spare set of pegs & levers, spare wire, electricans tape, pliers, two screw drivers, leatherman, granola bars, water, laptop, cell phone, headset, two visors- clear and dark, 3 sets of gloves, camera, 4 memory cards, video camera, chargers: phone, camera, vid camera, electric vest, electric handgrips, Bagster Tankbag, 8 maps, saddlebags, Tobin Seat, throttlemeister definitely!!, earplugs, asprin, and as sense of adventure. Mighta missed something, but that was last weekend.

Oh, and take your time, long days work well when you space it out. Did 600 mile day on busa couple days ago.
tounge.gif

Img_2361-SodaLakeRd.jpg

<!--EDIT|pashnit
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147939543 -->

Pashnit has it all, he also has a semi truck just off camera with 3 spare bikes and a beer miester in it!!!!!

Seriously, make sure your tires are in good shape and proper pressure, fluids and oil are good. Cell phone with a full chagre and a charger, charged music player, cash and credit card, spare gloves, the Honda wash and rags, and a good Zen aproach to the road.

I like to get off the bike between 60 and 150 miles, for gas, pee, drink, stretch, and bike condition checks. The most I've done on the Busa without getting off is 200 miles. The tank was on fumes and I was pretty cramped up and had to pee something feirce.

Most of all do not get in a hurry and enjoy it. Now, I did not say go slow, just do not hurry, that will make you a statistic quick.

firedevil.gif

Its only a day ride, don't sweat it.  ENJOY!
+1

it's only 274 mile from LV to LA, you might have more fun if you go through havasu down to I10 and then to San Diego. It's a longer trip but not as many cars and more 2 lane road, weather shouldnt be a concern this time of year maybe a little rain in San Diego. It's only 3 tanks of gas each way, so think of it that way instead of miles and it's no big deal at all. Have fun and enjoy the ride.

There was just a post on here a few days ago about this. But here is my 2 cent's worth. Tool-wise carry only as much stuff as you are comfortable wielding alongside the road. Why bring all the tools if you have no intention of trying to use them? Things like tire repair kits and tire pumps are amazingly useful in a pinch but most folks will never use them even if they had to. Same reason I throw a can of Fix-a-flat in the wife’s Expedition. I know there is no way in hell she would try to change a tire on that thing. But a can of fix-a-flat is a piece of cake and may get her home or out of harms way. At a bare minimum I carry my flashlight and multi-tool with me, as well as a cable lock. Think about it, if you get stranded and need to abandon your ride along the road in the middle of nowhere, a cable lock will at least make it a lot harder for the scumbag that comes along to roll it into the truck and make off with your disabled steed. I had to do that one time and it sucked out loud. I even put the bike in top gear and took the shifter and clutch lever with me. But thats just me.

I might have missed it, but CARRY A CREDIT CARD and notify them of your trip. Why
rock.gif
, because you'll be doing multi gas stops for LOW purchases which is a RED flag to the Card Companies of a stolen card. You'll play with the chance that on the next stop the card will not go through (VOICE OF MANY PEOPLES EXPERIENCES) . Other than what the others said, just sit back and enjoy the trip. Some take a lot, some (like me) take only what I need. An AAA Platnum Card (covers bikes) , $$$$$ , credit cards and a small aray of tools and ties. With bike cleaners (bug problems) and towels.
500 miles isn't a really long trip, yea to someone who hasn't done one it is, but you'll do OK if you just relax, take your time and enjoy. Then before you know it, you'll be at your destination
wink.gif
. You might want to do a couple of 100 milers before you go, just to get use to riding that far.
cool.gif

DaCol. - Never thought about the Credit Card issue, and it makes complete sense.

Ok, it has been said a few times tha 500 miles is not a log trip....this may be the case if conditions are Ideal. Unfortunately this is not always the case. On a recent trip I made, it took me 4 hours to cover less than 50 miles...no traffic, and posted speed limit was 70 mph, and I had no mechanical problems. I'm not kidding when I say conditions were deadly unsafe. I guess the SW part of the US has different weather conditions than the MidWest, but it never hurts to be "Prepared" - ok, flame away for the BoyScout soapbox mini-preaching session.

not being paranoid here but how about something to protect yourself from scumbags. Do not know how good you are with your hands or how comfortable you are carrying/using a weapon (gun or knife). Also need to consider the local laws vs. concealed carry (gun or knife).

You're a potential target if you have a breakdown in a deserted stretch of highway (lots of that on the 15), all the more when it is at night. Yes, it is preached to NOT resist and give up your stuff.

Once again, not meaning to be a "party pooper" but just sharing my 2 cents.

try a shot of jack each time you fill the tank, JUST ONE SHOT, you wont feel the effects of the alchol, but the next day your body will tell you that you didnt really ride very far at all. I know some of you may flame me on this, but it works great, I did it all the way from daytona beach to long beach and never got sore at all riding an avg of 700 miles a day. But remember only one shot per tank of gas!!!

Back