Long Distance Riding

gaw

Registered
Need some feed back on the comfort factor for long distance riding. I do several trips a year for about a week, doing 400+/- miles a day. Currently ride by Valkyrie for these trips, but this is a heavy bike for the fun twisties in the California mountains.
Currently looking at the all black limited 2003 bike. Got one quote for $10,500 out the door, sounds pretty good to me.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
smile.gif

Sorry this got posted twice, not sure how to remove it!

I haven't taken any extended trips on mine, but riding it 300+ miles in a day is routine. The stock seat is wide and comfy. It allows plenty of wiggle room, so you don't stay locked in one position. The bars aren't as low as many sportbikes, but there are aftermarket clip-ons available to raise them up a bit to relieve wrist pressure. The stock windshield will not keep the wind off your head except in a tight tuck. I don't mind that though, since my helmet is up in the undisturbed air and doesn't buffet like it would if it were right on the edge of windshield protection. Again there are many aftermarket solutions, even touring windshields that come up quite high. The rear of the bike would be agony for an all day passenger, but can hold a remarkable amount of luggage. You can expect to get 180 miles between fuel stops with moderate riding, but if you ride aggresively that number will drop.

You might want to check to be certain that bike is really a 2003. It is my understanding that the all black special edition bikes were only 2002 model year in America. Canada might still have them as a 2003 option. It is just a number of course, since 2002 (special edition) and 2003 (in all colors) are virtually identical. The price sounds good either way.

I think he's right the Black SE is an 02 the 03 is the 40th anv one.The most miles I've done in a day is 370 I did 300 last sat and when I do go out on it I do 150 or better the only comfort mods I have are Gel seat:D and genmar risers taks some breaks drink plenty of fluids and stretch.

I replaced the stock seat with a vinyl/basketweave corbin unit (just like sargent griptex) because I'm so heavy -- the stock seat is very good, however, bettern than most sportbikes.

Also, learn to keep the weight off of your wrists by using your hips. With some practice, you'll be fine as long as you get some gatorade at gas stops. I've done one 500mi day with no ill effects.

I just finished a 800 mile trip on my 02 S.E. Stock seat begins to give me a little burn around 100 miles but if I move around a little I can make it a full 200 miles (I go easy on the throttle and short shift to get into 6th gear as soon as possible) on a tank of gas . I just added a Puig windscreen and I can actually see the top of the instruments as I am riding now. I'll find out how well it works out on the interstate this weekend as I make the return trip out to TX. I've made this trip several times on GSXR's and the Busa is by far a more comfortable ride.

I have done 3 5000-6000 mile trips on the busa with camping gear. I have a ventura rack system for the gear and Corbin seats. No problem with 500 mile days.

I was in your position just a few months ago - I was riding a Triumph Sprint ST and was a bit bored with its handling and wanted something more performance oriented, but still capable of taking trips. I bought an '03 'busa and a set of Tour Master Bags and I am thrilled with the change. I just spent a week on the bike and it was just about as comfortable as the Triumph on long runs and the performance and handling are in another universe. The stock seat is one of the best you'll find - as comfortable as the Corbin that I put on the ST. DO IT - you will be thrilled with the bike!

Kent Sheldon

25,000 miles many of them in medium sized <500-800mile> chunks. Busa is a great touring rig. My wife has no problem with the distance either since I switched to Corbin seats. Other than the seats & tires my bike is stock.

The busa is a great touring rig.  However, there's all kind of modifications to really make it even more comfortable.

1).  Get either genmar or heli bar risers.
2).  Get some TL1000R footpegs.  They match the rear footpegs and give you almost an inch more of legroom.  Only cost about $40.
3).  Get either a corbin saddle, or suzuki gel seat to keep the butt-burn down.
4).  get a throttlemeister throttlelock.  Allow you to rest your throttle hand on really long days over 500 miles.
5).  Get some mirror spacers.  Check ebay.  They're about $30 bucks and extend your mirrors about 1 inch on each side.  Don't have to tuck your elbows to see what's behind you.  Sounds like a small thing but they all add up.
6).  Get a headlight cover.  Keeps rocks from breaking your $350 headlight for about $30.
7).  Get a double bubble windscreen or sport touring windscreen.  You can see all of your speedo and tach without having to tuck and keeps more wind off of you.

That's a basic list, there's lots more things you can do, but for long distance riding, these are probably the best things you can do to make the trip more enjoyable.  My longest day on the busa is 770 miles in about 13 hours, and that was on the stock saddle and stock clipons with no risers or throttle control.  These other improvements could make it possible to do a 1000 mile day easily.

As Big E said, just the footpegs. There's also some spacers that go with the pegs that make it fit better. About $45 total from ronayers.com. If you want, I'll put the part numbers up.

I did a 1000+ in a day on mine a couple weeks ago, here in Alaska. I cut down my footpegs(cut the upper rubber off), raised the handlebars a inch, stock seat (getting a Cobin), throttle meister, and a zerogravity ST screen. I plan on modifying it more this winter, lower pegs about another inch and make some type of adjustable handle bar to change the down and back angle of the bars. I wasn't sore in the butt after the ride (20 hrs) mainly my ears rang for about a houre from the wind noise (earplugs next time) I rode 460 miles 2 weeknds ago, and a two up 270 miles last weekend, 8500 miles in 9 months in Alaska.
The worst thing about the seat is the forward slope which always makes you slide into the tank.
I think if Suzuki would make a version with a wider fairing (more leg wind protection), more vertical wind screen, lower foot pegs, normal adjustable handle bars, easyly removable hard luggage and a few other things the would have the king of all touring bikes. The engine is perfect as is.
Mike:D

Back