I've got this crazy idea...

mike if you can get a power outlet you can use my GPS if you need it..and damn i envy you bro, how many days you planning?

when do you plan on doing this? i am leaving may 15th from raleigh, NC and heading to my aunts house in Los Angeles. dont worry about the ride, just take your time and have fun

This sounds like a great ride and I would be there to meet you in SD. The San Diego people are some of the best and the roads are unparalleled.
Make sure to keep us posted as to the time frame so we can meet.:thumbsup::beerchug:
Bubba

That would be the route any self respecting truck driver would take... but I might suggest a few detours myself..(purely for entertainment mind you).. Most of the Midwest states are pretty dreary.. after you get west? lots of detours to make..

AZ: turn south from Holbrok and run down 77 to 60 (beautiful scenery and you will need it after the I25 run from Albq.)

Salt river canyon defies description but it is pretty spooky looking, it is a 2000' drop if you run off road.. (run during the day).. In fact, I would not ride in AZ during the night. You will want to miss all the animals on the road at night and NOT miss the scenery..

You can actually take most any of the roads in NE Arizona and have quite a ride. (stay off 188, it goes past Roosevelt lake and on up to Punkin center.. it is too much dirt road from that direction.. coming the other way? you can turn around at punkin center and return to Phx.. it is a great "technical" ride.

After you hit Phoenix.. the doldrums sort of start again till you get in to CA (unless you like looking at desert and mountains in the distance :) )

Last edited:
Let me know when you're coming through Albuquerque. We can put you up for the night if you need it and if you're here on a Sunday, we can entertain you with some of the roads out here.

Also, another alternative through AZ is to turn S. at Grants (Hwy 117?) to Quemado, then W. on 60 to Springerville, AZ, then S. on Devil's Highway (141?) to Morenci. VERY nice detour and WILL add some miles to your ride but it's spectacular riding!

Lemmee know!

--Wag--

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'm still working on the logistics but I think I'm looking at departing Chicago on Wednesday, Sep. 23.

I'm still trying to get everything together, find a luggage rack, get my bike in to be serviced, and plan out a final route. I'll be sure to keep you all updated.:beerchug:

Mikey, Mikey, Mikey...it's totally do-able.

I know we've been playin' phone tag for the past 3-4 days about this subject, but I can hook you up, bro.

I swear we'll pin down some details and get you hitched up.

Talk to you tomorrow. :beerchug:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'm still working on the logistics but I think I'm looking at departing Chicago on Wednesday, Sep. 23.

I'm still trying to get everything together, find a luggage rack, get my bike in to be serviced, and plan out a final route. I'll be sure to keep you all updated.:beerchug:

I'll be at the Dragon when you roll through St. Louis. Good luck with the trip.

Back