Long read in regards to the motorcycle crash

thrasherfox

BUSA
Donating Member
Registered
I was going to post this in the daiily Journal site for everyone to read but they only accept 1000 character chunks, so I figured I would post it here and put a link there.

Here is what I wanted to say:

Jen70,

You are ignorant. thanks for the labeling of the sports bike community.

I am a sports bike rider and I have been riding sports bikes for over 20 years, started with a Suzuki 750-ES and I currently own a Hayabusa

Statistically speaking, most statistics are made up off the top of someone's head in relation to their own personal experience. Please do not state in a public forum that 99% of sports riders want to show off and ride out of control a lot.

Yes, there are some squids out there but the ones that are stupid and act like a squid are usually removed from the gene pool pretty quick. The rest of us are left to deal with the stigma that a small few have created.

In my 25+ years of riding sports bikes I have seen a large amount of people on cruisers who are weekend warriors. They purchase big expensive cruisers so they can ride to the local bar on Friday, slam a few beers then ride home, and that is the extent of their riding. Seen quit a few of these weekend warriors try to go on a real ride and try to out ride their bike and slam it into a mountain or off a cliff because they are not familiar with the machine.

I myself prefer to go on long rides, either by myself or with a small select group of trusted riders with no one else around so I can enjoy the roads and the ride. I don't stunt my bike, I don't hang out with other "bikers"￾ so I can look cool. I ride for the ride. I have put up to 900 miles in two days before on a bike

Would it be fair for me to say that 99% of people who ride cruisers are weekend warriors? No it wouldn't.

So how about instead of us expressing a "us vs. them"￾ mentality we just agree that we share a common love of riding and drop the inner squabbling between cruisers and sportbike riders. It is stupid

Yes there are lot of tools on "crotchrockets"￾ giving the rest of us a bad name, but lets remember it is not the bike, it is the rider, it is the individual. Lets not place a blanket label on all of us, because the people I do associate with are pretty respectful and courteous towards others and if any of us have a need for speed we either take it to the track or take it out in the middle of nowhere where we wont hurt anyone else.

As far as Nick and Candice goes. All I can say is dayum. Sad, my heart goes out to all the friends and families, I have said a few prayers for Nick and Candice and have been trying to follow up on updates for the two. It is sad.

But friends and family, make no mistake about it, Nick fugged up. Don't make excuses for him, don't keep saying how nice of guy he is and how nice of a girl Candice is. Heck I don't doubt any of that for a minute. But honestly, even in my younger and foolish days I never would have had someone on the back of my motorcycle and jeopardized their lives as he did. What is sad is if he makes it through (Last I heard Nick was still in critical condition and not fully lucid and Candice had been downgraded to stable (I hope this is accurate)) He probably wont remember what happened.

We as humans are going to make mistakes, sometimes they are simple mistakes, sometimes severe mistakes but we make mistakes. What is important is what we do when we make a mistake. We need to learn from our mistakes so we don't repeat them. He needs to know what he did, how he screwed up so he doesn't make the same mistake, and maybe people close to the situation wont make the same mistake

To the friends and families, I have no idea whatsoever what the general mind set is. I am guessing the elders (parents, aunts uncles etc) deep down inside know Nick screwed up, but it doesn't matter because that isn't what is important, what is important is helping them (Nick and Candice) get through this.

I am guessing however some of the younger friends "might"￾ be trying to put the blame on everyone else BUT Nick

"the bar shouldn't have served them"￾

"the police shouldn't have lit up their lights"￾

"it was the vans fault they squeezed Nick into the cruiser"￾ (never heard that, it was a totally fabricated scenario but I have seen it happen)

This current generation between the ages of early teens to late 20's have somehow or another adopted a philosophy of non acceptance of personal responsibility, it is "everyone else fault, not mine"￾

Wake up and smell the coffee folks. Start taking personal responsibility for your actions, and hold those accountable that you care about for their actions. Don't make excuses for them so hopefully they will learn from their mistakes

As I said, we all make mistakes, doesn't mean we are bad people. I have made some real bad mistakes in my life, just got lucky to not have to pay the price that Nick and Candice are paying at the moment. But I acknowledge that and have always accepted personal responsibility for my actions.

My advice to the families and friends of Nick and Candice, support them, help them. But when they fully recover, and when the time is right, don't feed them bull crap about how it was someone elses fault, don't try and say police were chasing them and they were justified. Let em know they screwed up.

And the rest of you riders out there who don't wear helmets or other kinds of gear, damnit what are you all thinking!! Holy crap. Please!! Wear your gear. I am 46 and have worn gear all my life. I have gone down with out hardly any personal damage. If Nick was wearing a helmet and other gear, I bet there would be a high probability he would be out of the hospital now.

A helmet would not have saved Candice's leg, but she would probably be more coherent and ready to deal with what she needs to deal with. And who knows, "MAYBE"￾ just maybe a good set of thick leathers could have saved her leg (pure speculation)

If you are not used to wearing helmets they will probably suck at first, but trust me, if you get a good quality light weight helmet you will get used to it. Don't take chances with your life.

I have not seen many fatalities of riders who were wearing full gear, most of the motorcycle fatalities I have seen or heard of were a result of no gear primarily no helmet. You people are not invincible, anything can happen at anytime. Don't dress for the ride, dress for the crash.

In closing, again to the family and friends of Candice, my father in-law lost his leg in a motorcycle accident just last year, a cement truck hit him. Similar to Candice, leg was severed below the knee but it was so shattered they had to amputate above the knee. We have learned a lot from helping him physically and emotionally over the last year, while I am sure you all are probably getting all the support you need, if you need or want any insight as to what to possibly expect, what you can do to help leave me a message here on how to contact you and I will try to offer what experience I have. You can PM me or post your email address or whatever.

I wish everyone the best, family, friends, Nick and Candice and yeah, right now isn't the time to be dogging on them, they need support.

I don't know the prelude, but you did a great writeup... no bs, no bashing, just the truth
beerchug.gif

Good write up. That was loooong though. The last time I read a post that long was a Project novel
cool.gif

winkold.gif
wonder when we'll get another one?

I don't know the prelude, but you did a great writeup... no bs, no bashing, just the truth
beerchug.gif
Here are the links

http://daily-journal.com/archives/dj/display.php?id=423498

http://daily-journal.com/archives/dj/display.php?id=423512

http://daily-journal.com/archives/dj/display.php?id=423542

http://daily-journal.com/archive....=yamaha

Then make sure in each article you check out the related stories

I think I got most of them.

Also read the readers comments at the bottom of each article

As a "cruiser" rider - thank you for expressing these thoughts for many motorcycle riders - no one wants to be "stereotyped" into one type of rider or the other by the brand or style of bike they ride.  KUDOS to you for your entire post.

And thank you for saying what others are trying to get across to his family & friends - DON'T make excuses for him, if he even recovers, he will have to face up to what he's done.  

Maybe I'm a total b*tch for saying this, but I find it infuriating to read things like "the cops caused the wreck for turning their lights on" and "the van caused the wreck because they forced him into the Goldwing" and "the Kankakee cop should have radioed ahead to Bradley cops because their station is on Broadway, so they could've gotten traffic off the road".  

WTF???  Because this guy chose to fly down a busy street (yes - even at 1:15 am that road is busy - evident by the number of witnesses!!!) - was the traffic supposed to part like the Red Sea for him & get out of his way??  We are talking about an approximate 8/10 of a mile from 5th Ave where he was first spotted by the Kankakee officer to the site of impact at Broadway Street, at 100 MPH. I am completely dumbfounded by those who have suggested there was even time to radio ahead, position an officer and clear the roadway.

I wish the "family" & "friends" who are making all these excuses would have seen just how these scene looked that night, debris and blood everywhere.  I wish they would have seen Nick (and the Goldwing driver) covered in her blood & tissue.  I wish they would have seen the horrified looks on the faces of the witnesses and they recounted the incident to those of us who came upon the scene minutes after it happened. I wish they had seen Candice, bloodied, broken, twisted and torn... crumpled on the ground like a dirty rag doll tossed away by a child.  I wish they would have heard the Goldwing driver as he sat on the curb, "oh my God... oh my God...".  

Maybe then they would understand the outrage that I and so many in our community feel about this senseless, preventable incident.

Thrasher your right up, long but good, hit it on the head in my opinion. I wish them the best of luck in their recovery. I pray for the families involved and especially for the Gold wing driver. Nick's decisions led them to this point. No one forced his hand, no one made him run.

Sunspot, if anyone wants to call you a b*tch for your thoughts, then I hope to be labeled the same! The excuses are lame, at best, and just a way that they are dealing with the situation ( I believe). Maybe once this has all settled down a bit people will be able to look at it and see that 1 - He ran of his own accord at 100 MPH, it doesn't matter whether or not the cop hit his lights and chased, he shouldn't have run in the first place. 2 - Radios are fast, but not that fast. There is no way they could have done anything about it, so it's just another lame excuse. 3 - My grandfather used to always so "You get to lay in the bed you made" and he made a mess of that bed....

"Wake up and smell the coffee folks. Start taking personal responsibility for your actions, and hold those accountable that you care about for their actions. Don't make excuses for them so hopefully they will learn from their mistakes"

There were enough of these excuses for sure. Unbelievable.

It will not be a pleasant future for either of them. This topic still saddens me.

r8

thanks jeffery, I appreciate your support of my thoughts & words

there are a good many posts on the Journal's pages that have been removed, some inflamatory, some not

I have tried very hard not fall into stereotyping anyone in the remarks made there, but I find myself over & over again thinking those posters who are placing blame with everyone BUT Nick must be of the same age group he is in... the remarks reflect such  inexperience (in life, cycling, etc.) and immaturity... maybe I'm reading way too much into what they say, but all the "defending", all the seeking to place blame with the bar, the cops, the other drivers on the road that night....... well, it goes right along with my very first post on the very first story released.... foolish, reckless & irresponsible... they seem to see nothing wrong with his extremely poor choices, they make me feel like they just want everyone to overlook HOW & WHY this incident occured.

But after what I saw that night... I can't.  I haven't had a normal night's sleep since that night.  We were minutes away from being right in the middle of all that ourselves on our bike (southbound, turning from North St. onto Kennedy my husband usually chooses the left-hand lane).  Only because our friends' daughter asked me back into the house to help with a quick computer issue, did I dismount our bike, run back inside for less than 5 minutes and then run back out to remount & leave.  The second officer going to the scene passed us on North Street just as we turned onto North Street.

And I cannot let go of this, admittedly I have a huge issue with it, and I feel like either the "friends" don't get it, or they just don't give a d*mn - it is one thing if he had been riding alone & chose to drink & drive recklessly... but it is an entirely different matter to put someone (especially someone all the "friends" and "family" claim is the love of his life) on the back of your bike and do what he has done.  Yes, I also feel she should have not even gotten on the bike with him having been drinking - however, ultimately her safety was his responsibility.

there are a good many posts on the Journal's pages that have been removed, some inflamatory, some not

I have tried very hard not fall into stereotyping anyone in the remarks made there, but I find myself over & over again thinking those posters who are placing blame with everyone BUT Nick must be of the same age group he is in... the remarks reflect such inexperience (in life, cycling, etc.) and immaturity... maybe I'm reading way too much into what they say, but all the "defending", all the seeking to place blame with the bar, the cops, the other drivers on the road that night....... well, it goes right along with my very first post on the very first story released.... foolish, reckless & irresponsible... they seem to see nothing wrong with his extremely poor choices, they make me feel like they just want everyone to overlook HOW & WHY this incident occured.

But after what I saw that night... I can't. I haven't had a normal night's sleep since that night. We were minutes away from being right in the middle of all that ourselves on our bike (southbound, turning from North St. onto Kennedy my husband usually chooses the left-hand lane). Only because our friends' daughter asked me back into the house to help with a quick computer issue, did I dismount our bike, run back inside for less than 5 minutes and then run back out to remount & leave. The second officer going to the seen passed us on North Street just as we turned onto North Street.

And I cannot let go of this, admittedly I have a huge issue with it, and I feel like none of the "friends" get it, or they just don't give a d*mn - it is one thing if he had been riding alone & chose to drink & drive recklessly... but it is an entirely different matter to put someone (especially someone all the "friends" and "family" claim is the love of his life) on the back of your bike and do what he has done. Yes, I also feel she should have not even gotten on the bike with him having been drinking - however, ultimately her safety was his responsibility.
Bloodbrother just made a post and I "think" it was in reference to my post here.

He made references to people being "know it alls" and that they are just defending their friend.

I dont even know bloodbrothers relation to Nick and Candice, but if he knows them well it probably does hurt to see anything negative written about this friends while they are in the hospital.

I posted that it wasn't my intention to keep stirring the pot, I was just hoping to try and do something that might have some good come out of this (i.e. more riders start wearing their darn gear).

And because I he seems to be close to the situation I don't think he realizes that it looks like a lot of people have been dropping little innuendos about them not being fully responsible.

And again, just for me I have a hard time putting any blame on Candice. I know what others have said but in my mind in the end she was a passenger who had no control over the situation.

And no one has really said much about the gold wing rider, just as Candice had her leg severed, the gold wing rider could have just as easily had his leg ripped off on impact also. He was just realy lucky.

Just need to keep everyone in prayer...

I have tried very hard not fall into stereotyping anyone in the remarks made there, but I find myself over & over again thinking those posters who are placing blame with everyone BUT Nick must be of the same age group he is in... the remarks reflect such inexperience (in life, cycling, etc.) and immaturity... maybe I'm reading way too much into what they say, but all the "defending", all the seeking to place blame with the bar, the cops, the other drivers on the road that night....... well, it goes right along with my very first post on the very first story released.... foolish, reckless & irresponsible... they seem to see nothing wrong with his extremely poor choices, they make me feel like they just want everyone to overlook HOW & WHY this incident occured.

But after what I saw that night... I can't. I haven't had a normal night's sleep since that night. We were minutes away from being right in the middle of all that ourselves on our bike (southbound, turning from North St. onto Kennedy my husband usually chooses the left-hand lane). Only because our friends' daughter asked me back into the house to help with a quick computer issue, did I dismount our bike, run back inside for less than 5 minutes and then run back out to remount & leave. The second officer going to the scene passed us on North Street just as we turned onto North Street.

And I cannot let go of this, admittedly I have a huge issue with it, and I feel like either the "friends" don't get it, or they just don't give a d*mn - it is one thing if he had been riding alone & chose to drink & drive recklessly... but it is an entirely different matter to put someone (especially someone all the "friends" and "family" claim is the love of his life) on the back of your bike and do what he has done. Yes, I also feel she should have not even gotten on the bike with him having been drinking - however, ultimately her safety was his responsibility.
+1
thumb_up.gif

Nice write up!  I rode through there and stopped in the parking lot of Big Lots tonight.  I sat there for awhile and watched many harleys go by with the throttle wide open.  They may have just been doing it because they saw me sitting there on the busa, who knows.  I do believe that I saw what looks like a skid mark from the front tire of a motorcycle as it low-sided to the ground, but not sure.  

I had the original thread deleted, but feel free to start over.

It is amazing how much this is stirring up....
While not trying to
deadhorse.gif
- this incident and the reaction has been a very long time coming - its the sort of thing people have talked about for ages (**someone is going to get hurt riding that way**) and now that it has actually happened, the community is outraged not only by the incident, but by those who claim to be close to the rider & passenger making excuses & trying to lay the blame with anyone but the operator of the motorcycle. Maybe it all is a bit
ohthedrama.gif

There are a great number of inexperienced, reckless motorcycle riders (hell, there are also a great many experienced yet reckless riders as well!) be they Harley, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Busa, or whatever riders who get out there and behave as if no one on the road exists but them, and ride with a "how dare you be here on MY road" attitude.

We live on the old "Easy Way Bumps" road - which is a good mile straight stretch from the railroad tracks to Tower Road. The motorcycles are terrible out here, racing at all hours of the day AND night. It had slowed over the last 12 years up until it was resurfaced early this spring. Now, its like they've rediscovered a "great" place to speed, race, stand on their seat, run wheelies for that mile. Not caring this road runs along a neighborhood with many small children. And not-so-small kids on bikes, skateboards, etc.

People in our community are SOOOOOOO TIRED of the reckless riders, and yes, they do lump us all into the same pot. Myself, I've been given such disparaging looks from people in their cages, sitting in their yard, walking down the sidewalk, in check-out lines in stores & gas stations - just for being a rider (obvious by my gear & attire). Those looks come whether I'm riding with my husband as his passenger, or I'm solo or with one of my kids. And that's with my tattoos covered
tounge.gif

I do apologize - I don't mean to sound as if I "blame" Candice, however I also don't think it was intelligent to get on that bike after Nick had been drinking. Maybe I'm wrong for feeling she should take a bit of responsibility for that, but that is my opinion.

Sunspot, I will agree with you again.  I don't "blame" Candice for what happened, however, her own choices led her to that point.   It is not fair that his recklessness caused her so much hurt, but there were chances for her to step out and make a decision that could have prevented this.

And for the record, I am in his age catagory
tounge.gif
and I think his actions were terribad. I never ride without gear, a passenger will never get on my bike without gear, and no booze pass the lips when I am riding. Just the way it works. It's a set of rules and choices I make. His age is no excuse, the bar is no excuse, the officers actions are no excuse. It's decision he made that put him there. Sad but true.
deadhorse.gif

and now that the dead horse is deader...

And for the record, I am in his age catagory  
tounge.gif
and I think his actions were terribad.  I never ride without gear, a passenger will never get on my bike without gear, and no booze pass the lips when I am riding.  Just the way it works.  It's a set of rules and choices I make.  His age is no excuse, the bar is no excuse, the officers actions are no excuse.  It's decision he made that put him there.  Sad but true.
thumb_up.gif

r8

Back