Long Distance Riding?

I did 300+ miles several times on my bike with no comfort mods, no problem, though my lower back was a little stiff towards the end.

All I changed was the stock seat to a Corbin and Helibars. That's it. I've done 800+ miles a day (15-16 hour rides with no problem at all).

When did 250 become long distance...that's just a sprint to Robbinsville and back :)

My Busa is stock and fits me really well.

On my and pbghost's 3500 mile Colorado trip, the worst part was the long drives out of and back into Texas. I had some burning on my inner thighs and a little tightness in the lower back (bad back anyway, so I guess it was good?). Other than that, I was very surprised how well I held up on my first long road trip.

...tobin, 3/4" bar risers, buell pegs

IMG_0746.JPG

No issues with this 51 year old body other than stiff legs after a long ride...but I get those after sitting for too long in one position in an armchair these days.

Of course, I went to the Busa from a Ducati, so it's like a waterbed in comparison!

Yep you have all the info you need. Myself mine's lowered a bit with factory covered seat and pegs and no heli bars. I have no problems. My longest day has probably been 600mi.

Been well over the 400mi mark many days around indiana. Been close to 500mi mark in NC,TN,GA,KY at the busa bash with no probs

Good enough to lead professional tours on. :thumbsup:

Clicky

Now go read this:

Clicky

Last edited:
My longest day ever was 500 miles. Unless I'm forgetting a ride in there somewhere!

Never have had any problems. A 300 - 400 mile day is pretty typical, actually.

--Wag--

There's more to long distance than just the bike mods. 400 miles is just a fun day ride. I've posted this a few times before, looks like a good time to refresh :)

Here are my tips for long distance touring. I've done multiple 600 - 800 mile days and 2000 plus mile weeks on the Hayabusa.

Modifications to the Gen 1 Busa: 1 1/4" bar risers (offset by 1" lift in the rear and 1/2" drop on the front), TL1000 pegs, AudioVox Cruise Control, Puig double bubble screen, +1 front sprocket.

If you are planning on running long distances, here are a few tips:

1. You should work your way up to it. There are ways to build up your endurance, but it requires lots of riding. Seat time is the best way to increase your riding distances. I know, I know, it's a sacrifice

2. Earplugs! I can't stress earplugs enough. The constant wind noise, and engine noise will wear you down. Not to mention the damage to your hearing.

3. Hydration is VERY important. Make sure you are hydrated before leaving, otherwise anything you do on the road is just playing catch-up. If you can stand wearing a small backpack while riding, I'd suggest getting a Camelbak, and learn how to drink from it on the move. It's not too hard to get the bite valve up between the chinbar of the helmet and your chin. Getting dehydrated will seriously tire you out, and you'll be taking alot of extra time at gas stops if your trying to rehydrate standing still. I drink about a liter of water per tank of gas. Slamming a redbull at each gas stop won't keep you hydrated on a long ride.

4. Compression shorts (aka bikecycle shorts under your leathers) believe it or not these can reduce saddlesore a great deal.

5. Do not rely on pills and caffine to get you through. A regiment of aspirin or Ibuprofin can mask the damage your doing to yourself.

6. Meals should not be huge, but modest in size. So no double quarter pounders and fries for lunch. Too much food will cause what some of us call 'food coma' not a good thing to go into while trying to ride. But don't try to exist on Powerbars and Gatorade. Eat sensibly.

7. Something as simple as a Throttle rocker (less than $20), can help exend your range. A cruise control of some type is better, but they're more expensive and depending on what you get can take some adjusting to get right.

Hope this helps.

plenty of 400+ days and the only comfort mod is a Throttlemeister as my wrist/hand would start to ache after a while...i also dropped the bike about 3/4" so my feet would go flat on the ground...i'm a little shorter than a lot of riders around here at 6' and i have short, thick legs so i think i may fit the bike a little better while it is still stock...like others have said, work your way up to the longer rides before you start changing things out :beerchug:

I did all the mods below and am very comfortable on long trips. I got rid of my Gold Wing after I got used to the Busa. It will tour with the best of them, but is just not a good for 2-up.

When did 250 become long distance...that's just a sprint to Robbinsville and back :)

My Busa is stock and fits me really well.
Yea I think we ran 200 miles just to get to your neck of the woods and back for an afternoon of riding :) the stock seat bout killed my tail... Corbin :thumbsup:

I use to log some long rides. Got use to the position after a while and never modded the bike for comfort. I found that laying across the tank helped too.

Try using your torso more than your arms to support the weight. It helps.

Well folks i think the info you have all given is just great, however before people start taking the :whistle: 250 miles on the roads in Europe are very different to 250 miles on the straight roads of the USA! 250 miles can often take over 8 hours of your day with breaks because of all the hairpins, and villages. Thanks for all the help though, very much appreaciated.:beerchug:

There's more to long distance than just the bike mods. 400 miles is just a fun day ride. I've posted this a few times before, looks like a good time to refresh :)

Here are my tips for long distance touring. I've done multiple 600 - 800 mile days and 2000 plus mile weeks on the Hayabusa.

Modifications to the Gen 1 Busa: 1 1/4" bar risers (offset by 1" lift in the rear and 1/2" drop on the front), TL1000 pegs, AudioVox Cruise Control, Puig double bubble screen, +1 front sprocket.

If you are planning on running long distances, here are a few tips:

1. You should work your way up to it. There are ways to build up your endurance, but it requires lots of riding. Seat time is the best way to increase your riding distances. I know, I know, it's a sacrifice

2. Earplugs! I can't stress earplugs enough. The constant wind noise, and engine noise will wear you down. Not to mention the damage to your hearing.

3. Hydration is VERY important. Make sure you are hydrated before leaving, otherwise anything you do on the road is just playing catch-up. If you can stand wearing a small backpack while riding, I'd suggest getting a Camelbak, and learn how to drink from it on the move. It's not too hard to get the bite valve up between the chinbar of the helmet and your chin. Getting dehydrated will seriously tire you out, and you'll be taking alot of extra time at gas stops if your trying to rehydrate standing still. I drink about a liter of water per tank of gas. Slamming a redbull at each gas stop won't keep you hydrated on a long ride.

4. Compression shorts (aka bikecycle shorts under your leathers) believe it or not these can reduce saddlesore a great deal.

5. Do not rely on pills and caffine to get you through. A regiment of aspirin or Ibuprofin can mask the damage your doing to yourself.

6. Meals should not be huge, but modest in size. So no double quarter pounders and fries for lunch. Too much food will cause what some of us call 'food coma' not a good thing to go into while trying to ride. But don't try to exist on Powerbars and Gatorade. Eat sensibly.

7. Something as simple as a Throttle rocker (less than $20), can help exend your range. A cruise control of some type is better, but they're more expensive and depending on what you get can take some adjusting to get right.

Hope this helps.

+ 1... million!

As so many have posted, mods and practice get me ready for longer trips. I'm very comfortable--except--butt ache! I've switched to the Suzuki gel seat, but it doesn't seem to make much difference. I still want to explore other options--so--suggestions??

Back