Long Distance Riding?

Recce

Registered
Now, this question goes to all of you who ride more than the obligatory 10 miles to work and back.

How do you find the bike on let’s say a 250 mile day?

What hurts (if anything) wrists, shoulders, neck etc?

What mods would you suggest (if any) to make the bike a comfortable mile muncher?

Over to the experts:bowdown:

Heli bars, buell pegs, throttle lock, tobin seat. All are a good start. :thumbsup:

250 miles is easy enough. I think on long rides the thing that hurt the most was my azz on the OE seat.

My first ride on the busa was 249 miles from the dealer to the house!! No issues for me!

It's different for everybody...I have stock seat, bars, and pegs. Ride it first and see where you feel the aches and pains. 250 miles is a short day for me... :whistle:

It's different for everybody...I have stock seat, bars, and pegs. Ride it first and see where you feel the aches and pains. 250 miles is a short day for me... :whistle:
400+ now we are going for a ride.. got a number of 700M days... I think Lisa is the real marathon rider myself :) (LCB)

I have Heli risers and a gel seat and feel fine after a 250 mile day. I will be doing a 600 mile day in a few weeks. I will REALLY know what I need to improve after that :laugh::beerchug:

Like BA Busa and Warbird said give the stock bike a chance before you go changing things you don't need to. Heli bars and after market seats are great if you need them. I am 6' 5 270 lbs and love the stock bike. The seat to me is very easy on the butt on long hauls and the stock bars give me no problems at all. Of course I ride everyday that I can for as many miles as I can.:laugh:

Some of it is just getting your body into shape so that it can deal with the ride. I don't mean that you have to work out every day (all though this would help) just ride the bike often. Any type of sports bike puts the body in a postion that makes the rider use muscles that most people today don't normally use. After a week or two of riding the bike if you still have aches and pains then go for the above mentioned remedies. Otherwise you can use that money on tires and gas.:thumbsup:

stock everything for me but I lowered the bike 3/4 of an inch with spacers in the triples now the bars are 3/4 inch higher, I have to admit my back feels allot better now

This is what I did. The Buick.

I'm old however. :laugh:

r8

010.jpg

I put 11,000 miles on my '08 last summer. (I live near Buffalo so the riding season is just a few months). That includes 2400 miles in one week to the Dragon & back. I'm 6'6", 210#, and I love the 'busa-- fits me well. I did go for the footpeg mod and heli-bars. The foot peg mod was necessary (long sticks for legs--LOL) --the heli bars I could have lived without!

+1 on what everyone said. My wrists hurt like hell when I first started riding this bike, so I put helibar + genmar risers on mine to help. Made a big difference.

I also believe the my body adjusted to the ride position, which takes a few miles for the proper muscles to gain strength and adust to the riding position. I would probably be fine now without the mods, but they did help me alot with the first 2-3000 miles as I adjusted.

Mine is still as it came from the factory, and it has been all across the US. I have ridden as much as 1017 miles in a single day, and that was with 65 mph speed limits.

I make several long trips in a year, so when I first bought the Busa I kept my 1200 Bandit around. After about a year I sold the Bandit because I never rode it. I will be the first to admit that the Bandit is more comfortable than the Busa, but it never mattered.

I took mine on a 400 mile round trip this last summer when it was completely stock and I had a 40 lb back pack on my back. What hurt the most was my shoulders, but I blame that solely on the back pack. Other areas that started hurtin were my butt and my right hand. I've gotten a tank bag now and a throttlemeister so I think the shoulder/hand issues will be gone. I've been thinkin of going the tobin seat route but we'll see what happens, money permitting.

Wrists get me worst - especially around town.

Gel Seat and Buell pegs are a must IMHO

Jza

Cheers for all the replies guys. Will have to wait and see what happens in April around Europe.:beerchug:

I was not happy with position with helibars so have went for ABM comfort kit
it is great for me but would not suit everyone
P10100122.jpg

Stretching out before and after a ride IS essential! Having a leg cramp when you ride is debilitating and potentially dangerous!!

Back