Lol at my insurance

eric wiseman

Registered
So I'm looking at the vin of a bike I'm interested in. I emailed my insurance chick about options. Here's what I get.......

"Motorcycle policies run for 1 year. You don't get an option of putting just storage coverage on the bike when you're not riding it. However, if you were to choose full coverage, we could always drop most of the coverage when you're not riding it. Note: You would never want to ride with just this coverage in place!!! ($357 per year)

If you're getting it financed, the financing company will require full coverage. This gets VERY expensive for a bike.

100/500 deductibles are $1,946/2,640 per year ($5,201.89 total annual premium). This does not include uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage (additional $600-700). The reason for the high additional premium for this coverage is because if you are hit by a car, the car owner's insurance will pay for your medical expenses. If they are not insured, you insurance company would then have to respond. Only $1,000 for medical is included in the above quote. Motorcycle insurance is not like car insurance and doesn't automatically give you unlimited medical coverage. If you want more, you have to pay extra. This is also expensive as injuries on motorcycles can be very severe. If you wanted to increase the medical benefit to $5,000, it would be an additional $56 to the above premium. You can get up to $120,000 in medical benefit.

If you wanted to increase the deductibles to 500/1000 = $1,591/1,853 per year. (Total premium ($4,059.89).

Now, if you just want "PLPD" (Liability only) with $1,000 Medical it gets cheaper - $615.89 per year.

FYI - these are the premiums if paid in full. It will go up some if you choose a pay plan.

This is through Progressive. You would get a multi-policy discount with them for having your Auto & Motorcyle through them. I have one other company that is sometimes competitive too that I can check with, if you really get serious. I figured this would at least get you started. Any questions, just let me know!"

So here's the question. How do I rig it to afford it? I'm 25 in sept which is usually a break. 4 points for a burnout (not reckless or careless) and a 5-10 over. With cycle endorsement.

What do you guys use?!?!?

Do a search on insurance. Seems like it was a big thing on here a while back. Mine is exp also 1250 a year and i am 51. I have it with Formost. I have heard that Alstate is cheeper but because i have a speeding ticket they will not cover me (What a Joke:rofl:) Best of luck but i think at your age it will be hard to get. Sorry

no points, married, 25, they wanted to charge me 3600 a year. i own the bike, so i told em to eat me.:laugh:

I was going to say switch to State Farm but I don't think they will let you switch with previous tickets. It might be best to just wait until you don't have any tickets and then do the switch.

I use State Farm, $900/yr But I'm 36, married, no points. So I suppose your age and points accounts for some of the cost, but not $5k Progressive wanted $2K for my coverage, which is why I shopped around. So check others.

I was going to say switch to State Farm but I don't think they will let you switch with previous tickets. It might be best to just wait until you don't have any tickets and then do the switch.

Yeah, that might be an issue.

I use Progressive...$300 or so for a full year, for full coverages.
But then again, I am 58, and have no points, and a solid credit rating. Believe it or not, one of the biggest determinants of you rauto/bike insurance premium is your credit rating. The better the rating, the lower the price for any given coverage. Best advice I can give is to shop around, and buy the least coverage/highest deductible that makes sense for you. For example, if you already have group medical insurance where you work, you might not want to buy medical coverage on yourself via the bike policy.

Good luck,
CW

$300/yr for a Busa? Holy crap. I paid $160/yr for my Harley, but my Busa coverage jumed over 1000% with Progressive, hence my move to State Farm.

State Farm runs me $26/month for full coverage with 100/100 deductibles - Progressive is whacked if they think anyone is going to pay that much! In 2 year's time you've paid for the cost of the bike in insurance costs alone! Geico ran me $51 year prior to switching to State Farm for 250/100 deductibles. I have homeowners and 2 other vehicles with SF, Geico was bike only so take that for what it's worth. I think Geico was very comparable but I get much more personalized service with my local SF agent.

Progressive quoted me $2500/year so I switched my truck and the busa to S.F. for $15 more per month with better coverage on the truck!!! I am 27 and not married, no tickets either.

I pay 600 a year for my busa, 37 clean record. We have full coverage on Juli's bike too, but since it is never ridden, and I cant seem to sell the blasted thing, we have full coverage but what they call non-drivable insurance. It meets the lenders requirements, but costs a ton less than if it were on the road. State Farm here.

Dang. Yeah I think medical at work kicks in soon so that'll be nice, but I'm wondering about just getting it and just storing the bike for a year. I wish we had class to drop points in mi. 5 grand a year can get me a stock used with a few miles in 2 years. I'm not excited at all.

24zm0yo.jpg

???

I pay 320/year with State Farm. 3 other vehicles and homeowners all together gives me a good discount. I'm 27 and married. I had Geico before and they were pretty good too, but they wouldn't give me homeowner's insurance because of the Pitbull.:moon: so I switched.

I have USAA, not sure if they allow for new coverage on bikes but mine is about $400 a year give or take. 36, married, no tix/pts

So it looks like the best bet keeping a clean record the going to state farm. I'm pondering plod which is totally stupid but at least I could go to the local hangout a few miles down and back and not be screwed. Looks like it's gonna suck for a year or 2 either way. :whistle:

So it looks like the best bet keeping a clean record the going to state farm. I'm pondering plod which is totally stupid but at least I could go to the local hangout a few miles down and back and not be screwed. Looks like it's gonna suck for a year or 2 either way. :whistle:

If you manage to clean it up and switch to State Farm you will have to keep it clean. They have been known to drop people rather easily.

Great lol. Good to know in advance then. Ugh. I've gotta figure out how I can massage the system to drop it a bit cause that's rape.

Back