Local tuner screwed me, need help getting it streetable

105/105 is a pretty good allround for a street bike , bigger numbers are usually for more race oriented stuff
stock timing should work ok though ,, if the exhaust numbers are so low it will not idle without sounding like a huge cammed car , your in danger of hitting valves to pistons if you rev it up
i expect its something more like vac leaks on the map sensor line, or a check valve inline instead of on a tee , or check valve reversed , be lots of black smoke

Thanks. The last tuner I had it to has done a dozen of these kits. I asked him specifically about the MAP sensor and he say's it all checks out OK...

Stopped by the shop at lunch today. The cams are retimed to 105/105 and it still isn't running well down low. No vacuum leaks and the 1 way valve for the MAP sensor it on the T and installed correctly. When it's running in neutral, between 2500 and 3000 RPM it leans out off the gauge. Outside of that range, A/F is 13.5 - 14.5. Goosing the throttle and it will dip down below 13.5. Didn't play with it too much. Everyone is scratching their heads now....

Idle fuel pressure? Any ecu tuning? You could bump up the idle maps.

Idle fuel pressure is 43#. The rev limiter was raised and the top speed restriction removed. I think he unified the timing maps, but nothing was done with the fuel maps down low.

Do you have any more info such as injector size, fmu or pcv with pressure sensor or pcv pti? motor size? compression? if its leaning out and killing the motor then more fuel.. whats your PC map look like (providing we get the rest of the details)?

Do you have any more info such as injector size, fmu or pcv with pressure sensor or pcv pti? motor size? compression? if its leaning out and killing the motor then more fuel.. whats your PC map look like (providing we get the rest of the details)?

Just got the bike back from the original engine shop. Cams are timed at 105/105. The injectors are stock. Standard PCV, no pressure sensor. Stock bore/stroke. Compression is 150#+-10. They cleaned and tested the injectors. 2 of them were cruddy which is probably why it wasn't running on 2 cylinders. They also fixed a problem with the TPS, which I think the tuner should have found before sending me back to the shop that originally did the engine work. It's running on all 4 cylinders again, but is still running rough. Hopefully now its just a matter of getting the A/F correct.

Things are looking up, Dennis.

I hope so. Now I need to figure out where to go from here. Neither of the local tuners left me with a good impression. I don't know if I can afford to crate her up and ship her out to someone else to finish up from here.

If I were you I would call Brian at WIN racing and schedule something with him where you could bring it up to him and stay there until it's done, and then bring it back. You might have to stay the night but a cheap hotel and some gas would be worth it to me to have the bike running right. Otherwise shipping it to Rob or Frank isn't a bad idea.

I've had a chance to play with her. She's rideable now that the injectors are clean and the TPS is fixed. The tune is still way off. My AEM gauge isn't seeing the tach signal now. The 2nd tuner told me he had disconnected the gauge while he was troubleshooting the problems (he didn't find any of them). The gauge is reconnected, but isn't seeing the signal. Just another thing I need to fix. But at least I'm getting closer to being able to actually ride her on a daily basis.

Dang with all the issues you've been having, I'm wondering if this will ever be in my future.

Dang with all the issues you've been having, I'm wondering if this will ever be in my future.

Look at the guys who HAVE had their bikes done by experienced and qualified turbo/tuning shops. See how their trip has been, what the feedback is. If you carefully choose the right shop from the beginning, you'll be turning up the boost and shifting in the breeze for years after . . . . :race:

Look at the guys who HAVE had their bikes done by experienced and qualified turbo/tuning shops. See how their trip has been, what the feedback is. If you carefully choose the right shop from the beginning, you'll be turning up the boost and shifting in the breeze for years after . . . . :race:

Words of wisdom there. Most of my problems are the result of choosing the wrong tuner. One of them spent 4 hours trying to tune it, the other 6. Neither of them identified there was a problem with the TPS, even though I got charged diagnostics fees. Neither of them identified that 2 of the cylinders weren't firing correctly (infrared thermometer pointed at the manifold is all that's needed for that) to find the dirty injectors. Those should have been near the top of the list. They replaced plugs, coils, map sensors, rerouted the fuel line (made a mess of that), disconnected add-ons,... trying to guess at what the problem might be. She runs smooth now, but is way too rich. She's at 10.5-11.5:1 not under boost. I've started playing with the fuel pressure settings and PCV fuel map to get it right under 4,000 RPM. It will need to go back on a dyno to get above that.

I hope so. Now I need to figure out where to go from here. Neither of the local tuners left me with a good impression. I don't know if I can afford to crate her up and ship her out to someone else to finish up from here.

Was one of those tuners Rudy at Quicktime Motorsports? I ask because I considered getting some work done there. Feel free to send me a PM if you don't want to name names publically.

Back