The Best Hayabusa Tuner

Frank Adams

Registered
I'd like to hear from some of you that has had your bikes tuned on by someone you think could possibly be the best?

I'll bet there are less then 6 Busa tuners out there that really know how to use a power commander on the dyno?

Oh well...tell us who your pick is and why?

just a quick note for credit where it's due.
the lead developer for pc2 applications at dynojet is Mike Kracamier,he is the head electrical engineer,and works out of the belgrade,Montana office. The zx-12 pc2 project was the work of electrical engineer Chad Beauregard,who also works out of Belgrade. Mr. Belcher works out of the Las Vegas facility. This info was passed on to me by Chad. Got this e-mail today--chuck will be working on tuning the prototype map--To: hankbooth@aol.com

File: HankZX12.map (3936 bytes)
DL Time (TCP/IP): < 1 minute

Hank,

Here's the preliminary map to go with the prototype you have. When Mike
Belcher comes up with a different map, I'll let you know. There may be
some firmware changes before we go to production that will change the map a
little, so please keep in mind that this map was built as a test map for
the proto on your bike. Thanks for letting me use your bike for
development, and I look forward to hearing how it runs.

Chad Beauregard
Dynojet Research

[This message has been edited by Hank (edited 24 June 2000).]

Frank--- I posted a small report and pics at labusas.com under the zx12 side called "dynojet results" I also posted before and after dyno charts. they did a nice job.

Hank, My hats off to you!

All the zx-12 guys should really be thankful you dedicated your bike to this testing!

I wish you the best.

Sorry guys, I'll still put my money on Mike in Vegas (yes I went to his class, and we do have a Dj 250).

Remember that this is racing season. Mike attends many events. (with the dyno in the truck), Out race bike is on the dyno every AMA race thanks to DJ and Mike. Make does not have much time to make maps for new bikes.

There is a big difference between creating the PC-2 for a bike, and mapping it on the dyno. Sure the guys in MT do the electrical work and the are great at what they do, but Mike *IS* the man when it comes to mapping a bike.

absolutely.the man is mike belcher head of pc2 development at dyno jet.he does dynoing and pc2 mapping for a living so he is the man for mapping and not just peak power.

I'd have to say your probably right MH.

I don't know how well his power commander classes are but I know there is some tech's that have been through it that still don't know sh!t?

I think most of the problem is these tech's don't know how to read a dyno graph right to make the right changes to the pw2 map tables?

Understanding the pw2...I'd have to say that the Busa is still a notch or two below where it could be once the bigger dawgs learn how set the values while useing the DJ-250.

Right now their setting maps with the bike on the dyno and not doing any settings for the ramair.

We all know what timing can do for ya....how many maps have you seen that have much changes in this area?(not many at all)

The playing around hasn't even started yet!

(wait tell this time next year?!)

Jeff, since you been through his class why don't you give a brief discription on what you were taught?

Tell Me how you know by looking at a graph that it needs this particular % of fuel added or subtracted at that throttle (%)?

I've learned a lot with the pw2 but one thing I haven't played with is timing. Have you?

Your exactly right on this one frank, all this potential right in front of us and we really arent using it yet. That little box is the answer if you have the 250 and the knowledge of the software and graphs.

I have only had experience with one, but that person won me the AMI dyno shootout in Daytona at bike week. Lee Shierts at Lees Performance. I know there are other people out there that can get the job done, but an awful lot of Busas that were "tuned" by others down there, tried to knock me off and couldn't! Some people claim higher numbers, but on the same dyno under the same conditions, they just couldn't get it done.

Thanks for the info Jeff.

Do you think they could make one of these maps at the race track?
There is a AMA Prostar race next weekend that I'm sure Dyno-Jet will be at?

Jeff...2 more questions.

1. What would be some good things to ask a Dyno-Jet tech before you let put your bike on the dyno?(you know...to make sure he knows his stuff?)

2. What does the #2 table do? what is the secret with it?(if there is one)

Thanks

[This message has been edited by frank adams (edited 25 June 2000).]

Frank, if the people with the dyno are from DJ and they have the time, I would say they could make you a map quickly. If you are needing just top end work, they can play with table #1 and the figures in the 100% TP area.

Now for the questions:

1) Ask if they have attended to PC2 tuning class in Las Vegas. To spend money for air/hotel/class does say they are serious about tuning. After they have attended class, they are authorized to use the "approved" logo (see the below web page)

http://www.olathesuzuki.com/dyno.html

2) Table #2 is for HD, not Suzuki bikes. So it's not used. Ask the technician about table #2, if he replies anything other than it's not used, go find a tech that has been to class.

3) For fun, ask what type of car Mike Belcher drives and where he keeps it.
(It's a '73 Dino and sleeps right behind the dyno room).

Got to give props to "Lee's Preformance" true speed junkies. Maybe if I kiss-up enough I can get a hook-up on a stage 3 head.

Neville, are you peeping this . . . . . .

Later,
Michael Lee
Team Charlotte

Frank, I would love to... right now I very little time. My real job takes me to LA every other week, back here on the weekends (dyno runs & mow grass), then there's the AMA race program.

Here is just a quick bit, all I have time for now (grass to mow, wife, ride bike, etc)

On adjusting timing........ you need a dyno.

Adjust timeing until torque stops increasing. To do this it needs to be done in real time. The standard DJ software will not allow this. They do have a version that gives real time info on torque, but so far I have not got a copy. Thay have this on the dyno in the trailer that goes to the races.

The target fuel air ratio that DJ suggests is 12.8 - 13:1. Certainly in some cases, a bike will perform better with a lower/higher number (richer/leaner), but for the day-to-day street rider the target is 13:1. Much different tuning for the street -vs- the race track (road race, not drag strip).

Really 4 steps (DynoJet 250 with brake - must have, or just pull your hair out):
0) insure bike is TPS/other stuff is set correcttly (tire, chain, etc.)
1) tune 2-5 % throttle position (table #3)
2) tune 10 - 80 % throttle position (table #1)
3) make 4th gear roll-ons (no brake) to tune 100% TP
4) adjust timing for torque max (table #4).

Real simple with the brake, you just run each throttle position at a fixed rpm and change the f/a mixture for proper level (13:1). Might take 1.5 - 2 hours to create a map from scratch (better you get the faster is goes).

End result is a flat fuel/air ratio curve (13:1) over the entire rpm range. It may not
give the best peak HP, but will deliver the best rideability (full range of throttle)

[This message has been edited by jeffw (edited 25 June 2000).]

Back