Local guy tries to rn down trooper

Now I will state again I don't have any sympathy for the perp. But any cop that stands in front of a moving vehicle is a few cards short of a full deck. The officer involved created a situation that was likely to take it to the next level. Read post No. 10, would you ever even think to hit something as large as a man on your bike? Chances are you would do it and remain upright.

Jessie and Sprog got ran over and the Kaw stayed upright! Hell I think it was even doing a wheelie at the time.

I would have stopped when He shot at me.
guns.gif

Boy, 7, arrested for riding dirt bike on sidewalk
Baltimore mayor apologizes; mother says son was just sitting there

Updated: 3:35 p.m. PT March 16, 2007

BALTIMORE - Police arrested a 7-year-old boy, handcuffed him and hauled him down to the station house on a charge of riding a motorized dirt bike on a sidewalk.

Then, according to his mother, Gerard Mungo Jr. was handcuffed to a bench and interrogated before being released to his parents.

"They scared me," Gerard told The Baltimore Examiner before breaking down in tears.

Mayor Sheila Dixon apologized Friday for the arrest, and Police Commissioner Leonard Hamm said it would be investigated internally.

The arrest came after an officer saw Gerard riding his dirt bike on the sidewalk in east Baltimore on Tuesday, police spokesman Matt Jablow said. Hamm, citing the internal probe, declined to discuss how the rest of the incident unfolded.

Kikisa Dinkins said her son was sitting on the bike with the motor off on the sidewalk when an officer grabbed him by the collar and pulled him off.

"I told them to let go of my baby," Dinkins said. "Since when do you pull a 7-year-old child by his neck and drag him?"

Dinkins said she called for a police supervisor to intervene, but the confrontation continued to escalate after the supervisor arrived.

"They started yelling at him, 'Do you know what you did is wrong, son?'" Dinkins said. "He was so scared he ran upstairs."

Police arrested Gerard and confiscated the bike.

Dinkins said officers fingerprinted him and took his mug shot. Hamm could not confirm that and said those actions would not have been normal procedure in a non-felony case.

‘He’ll never be the same’
Dinkins said the arrest scarred her son. "This has changed his life," she said. "He'll never be the same."

The Police Department's zero-tolerance arrest policy — begun under former Mayor Martin O'Malley, who is now Maryland's governor — has drawn complaints that such arrests occur most often in poor, black neighborhoods. Gerard is black.

Hamm said the officer had the option of talking with a parent or confiscating the bike. He said that although the city is concerned about nuisance dirt bikes, the arrest "was not consistent with my philosophy of trying to solve problems in the neighborhoods."

The mayor, who appeared Friday with Hamm, said she also planned to look into the case.

"It is clear to me that the arrest was wrong, that the officers on the scene should not have arrested the child, and on behalf of the City of Baltimore I apologize to the boy and his parents," Dixon said.

(hondpwr @ Mar. 16 2007,22:15) I would have stopped when He shot at me.
guns.gif
I am stopping when he pulls me over. If people start shooting at me ... I am white, my natural reaction is to run away as fast as possible.
biggrin.gif

(Nekosohana @ Mar. 17 2007,03:38)
(hondpwr @ Mar. 16 2007,22:15) I would have stopped when He shot at me.
guns.gif
I am stopping when he pulls me over.  If people start shooting at me ... I am white, my natural reaction is to run away as fast as possible.  
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif

That is one crazy story... I do not think in any way the cop should have shot at him. maybe hit him with an asp, but not shot him... he should sue.

(Turbo-Torch @ Mar. 16 2007,22:07) Jessie and Sprog got ran over and the Kaw stayed upright!  Hell I think it was even doing a wheelie at the time.
On of my crew hit a medium sized dog and fell, I fell one time when hit a mail box {dont ask , young dumb and full of vodka}.. But I think if you hit a cop trying to stop you, your going down... We have some pretty big troopers {I know a few fom my old gym}, and he would have grabbed on and made sure the bike ended up onthe ground..
I seen vids of people bouncing of cars horses ect and staying up, anything is possible, but I know if it was me, and I was trying to get away I wouldn't be hitting anyone.....

I'm fairly certain that that's NOT how Chuck Norris would've handled it.

(Devil Dog @ Mar. 16 2007,21:52) I have no sympathy for idiots like this.  One less retard off the road.  You wanna do wheelies, speed, and break laws....then fine.  I got no problem with that....  I do have issues with trying to run down a cop or leading a high speed chase.....now your endangering innocent people.
Agreed, 100%. What an a$$hat!

(JINKSTER @ Mar. 17 2007,08:19) I'm fairly certain that that's NOT how Chuck Norris would've handled it.
Chuck would have roundhoused the bad biker as he passed at a high rate of speed....KAPOW!

(turb06LE240 @ Mar. 16 2007,20:51) [H]e is over 30 and still blowing wheelies on the back pegs, and he really ddnt have much chioce {in his mind} to run because he has a ton of previos charges, no licence ect. ect. ect.
The guy has no business on the road in the first place.

Everyone gets the urge on an open road, but if you want to pull stunts and race, find a track day. Maybe the city ought to sponsor some of these to let all the sports-bikers get it out of their system.

ya, baby...that's the group I want to be associated with, what an idiot. Running is just plain stupid. There are sooooo many people out there that have no business on a bike it's not even funny. Lock the sob up, take the bike and use it on the new task force. Sometimes I'm embarrassed to even own a sportbike.
rant.gif

my input is as follows: running =stupid pulling gun on a speeder= chicken shid action..... i guess it was better than running the speeder over (which is what almost always happens), what it amounts to is two morons who crossed paths.

I don't know about RI, but in MO traffic violations are normally Class C misdemeanors and at worst Class B misdemeanors. Running is a Class D felony at best. Let's see, misdemeanor or felony. Humm... I think I'll take the misdemeanor.

WOW yea I am thinking that the cop was partially in the wrong as well. I hope we are kep[t posted on the outcome of all this

Hmmm ... Why did the cop pull a gun on him in the first place? I agree with most of the posts - e.g. don't run, stunt in isolated or at least clear areas but ... I'm a stopper ... clean record, active duty mil usually helps ... I just don't get the gun part unless the cop ran the plate and knew there was a record/warrants? Guess I'm saying you could get shot pulling a wheelie? In your own country? That's a little out there methinks.
argue.gif

as much as I wana flame the LEO-cuz I gots no luv for 5-0....
that cop had a right to APPROACH the bike w/gun drawn-becuz the rider fit a description, was headed same direction, etc....so there was a real threat to the officer already-he blew thru a block by Cop1, so Cop2 went to plan B-show of force...
anytime I see a gun, i expect it to be used, so me???.....I never thought I was faster than a bullet, and since I cant tell how good you shoot from lookin at yer face??-i stop when i see guns, period.

did the rider deserve a bullet for his actions? wether or not he was trying to hit the Cop is irrelevant-he was ordered to stop, and REFUSED to follow orders.
In LEOs eyes-who's to say what other laws this guy is willing to break? I wouldnt wait to find out-better safe than sorry. Rider obviously didnt feel any guilt for what he did-and according to TrboLE he's done this before, so?
rock.gif

he's gunna pay his dues-ridin' w/no DL and previous record-just pain DUMB to be ridn wheelies. He gets what he deserves-caught up tryn to hide in some damn tires???!! thats even MORE funny-goes to show how SMART this cat all-around
all_coholic.gif

I havent had a valid DL for a year-you dont see me flying around tryn to dodge cops n run roadblocks...becuz I DONT WANT TO GET SHOT AT.
guns.gif

Alot of input from people that were not there I think. Alot of room for what the guy did what the cop did etc and so on. At least some had the balls to say they would or wouldnt run and not just attack the biker or the cop. There is a whole bunch of room for how this whole thing was handled wrong by both parties. Imagine if the cop shot this guy for what speeding doing a wheelie now there is a dead guy maybe with kids and a family awful big consiquenses for such a small mistake. What if he shot this guy and the bike mowed down someones kid on the side of the road. What if the asshat just stopped and took his lumps. I guess because everyone else is I will throw in my opinion. I reposes cars for a second job. When some idiot comes out and chases me passes my wrecker with orange light blazing and tries to ram his own car off the road knowing he is 4 months behind in payments it kind of amazes me. I deal with LEO all the time. Running is a mistake but it happens there should be a cutoff when it is just to dangerous to chase someone. Pulling your gun ina situation that you dont know what this crazy Mofo did and why he is running is probably not a bad thing but hearing on the radio that the guy is wanted for speeding and stunting and pulling that trigger is not OK Why not just run his ass over with the car easier no worry about a stray bullet hitting someone else. Hell you could get a plow truck from up north here and every speeder or runner you find just run them down the plow will push them right off the road too so traffic can keep going. I dont know if the guy tried to hit the cop I dont know if he had even stopped or not or if the cop shot at the front of him or shot at him going by or tried to shoot the guy in the back I wasnt there. Depends on what happened = what shoudl happen. Hopefully the investigation will show and whatever (even firing the cop) happens is in accordance with what happened that day

Back