Local guy tries to rn down trooper

turb06LE240

Registered
http://www.projo.com/ri....f7.html

I rode with this guys crew a couple times, We are in a small state, SH!T HAPPENS...
But its gonna be a bad year for sport bikes around here, There already talking about a sport bike task force....
AAAssjani.gif

Anyway thats the article from when it first happened, I figured I would wait Marc got cought before I posted it....

You have to be a member to view the link...

Describe what happened, your bud tried to run down a cop??

PROVIDENCE — The state police are searching for a motorcyclist who allegedly drove into a trooper who was trying to stop him at gunpoint downtown Sunday afternoon.

The state trooper fired a shot at the biker, who sped off and was seen by Providence police officers 10 to 15 minutes later on North Main Street, said state police Capt. Stephen Lynch. The motorcyclist is now on Rhode Island’s Most Wanted list.

The biker first attracted attention when another trooper saw him speeding and doing wheelies in the southbound lanes of Route 146, Lynch said.

That trooper, who was heading in the other direction, radioed to another trooper who was on the southbound side and warned him the motorcycle — racing at speeds between 108 and 120 mph — was heading up behind him, Lynch said.

The southbound trooper saw the motorcyclist as they approached where Route 146 connects with Route 95 south and tried to pull him over, Lynch said. Instead, the motorcyclist pulled to the side — and kept going, Lynch said.

The motorcyclist, who was driving a blue and white Suzuki and wearing a distinctive blue and white helmet with a centurion fringe, was then spotted by a trooper who was at a red light at Steeple and Canal streets.

The biker was a few lanes over, at the front of the lane. The trooper got out of his cruiser and walked up to the motorcycle, gun drawn, Lynch said.

The trooper stood in front of the bike and ordered the motorcyclist off at gunpoint, Lynch said. But the biker allegedly revved his engine and ran into the trooper, he said.

The trooper fired a shot at close range, and the state police believe he either hit the motorcycle or the biker. The motorcyclist drove off. The trooper was uninjured, Lynch said.

The trooper, whose name was not released yesterday, has been placed on administrative leave, as called for by the agency’s policy on use of force. A team of detectives from the state police, the Providence police and the attorney general’s office are investigating the trooper’s use of force, standard procedure when a law-enforcement officer fires a weapon in Rhode Island.

The encounter was caught on camera by a bystander. The state police released some of the pictures in hopes that someone can help identify the biker. The motorcyclist faces charges of assault with a dangerous weapon, eluding police and reckless driving.

The state police are asking anyone with information about the motorcyclist to call (401) 444-1000

State police looking for cyclist who tried to run down trooper

01:00 AM EDT on Tuesday, March 13, 2007

By Amanda Milkovits

Journal Staff Writer

A bystander took this photograph of a motorcyclist who is wanted by the state police for allegedly ramming into a trooper who ordered him off the bike. The trooper fired one shot at the biker, who rode off.
Special to the Journal
PROVIDENCE — The state police are searching for a motorcyclist who allegedly drove into a trooper who was trying to stop him at gunpoint downtown Sunday afternoon.

The state trooper fired a shot at the biker, who sped off and was seen by Providence police officers 10 to 15 minutes later on North Main Street, said state police Capt. Stephen Lynch. The motorcyclist is now on Rhode Island’s Most Wanted list.

The biker first attracted attention when another trooper saw him speeding and doing wheelies in the southbound lanes of Route 146, Lynch said.

That trooper, who was heading in the other direction, radioed to another trooper who was on the southbound side and warned him the motorcycle — racing at speeds between 108 and 120 mph — was heading up behind him, Lynch said.

The southbound trooper saw the motorcyclist as they approached where Route 146 connects with Route 95 south and tried to pull him over, Lynch said. Instead, the motorcyclist pulled to the side — and kept going, Lynch said.

The motorcyclist, who was driving a blue and white Suzuki and wearing a distinctive blue and white helmet with a centurion fringe, was then spotted by a trooper who was at a red light at Steeple and Canal streets.

The biker was a few lanes over, at the front of the lane. The trooper got out of his cruiser and walked up to the motorcycle, gun drawn, Lynch said.

The trooper stood in front of the bike and ordered the motorcyclist off at gunpoint, Lynch said. But the biker allegedly revved his engine and ran into the trooper, he said.

The trooper fired a shot at close range, and the state police believe he either hit the motorcycle or the biker. The motorcyclist drove off. The trooper was uninjured, Lynch said.

The trooper, whose name was not released yesterday, has been placed on administrative leave, as called for by the agency’s policy on use of force. A team of detectives from the state police, the Providence police and the attorney general’s office are investigating the trooper’s use of force, standard procedure when a law-enforcement officer fires a weapon in Rhode Island.

The encounter was caught on camera by a bystander. The state police released some of the pictures in hopes that someone can help identify the biker. The motorcyclist faces charges of assault with a dangerous weapon, eluding police and reckless driving.

The state police are asking anyone with information about the motorcyclist to call (401) 444-1000.

PROVIDENCE — A four-day search for a fugitive motorcyclist ended yesterday afternoon as the state police arrested a Providence man who, the police allege, led authorities on a high-speed chase Sunday that ended with shots fired and one officer being driven into.

Mark Costa, 33, of 158 River Ave., Providence, was arrested around noon at an acquaintance’s apartment, according to state police Capt. Stephen Lynch. Costa was charged with assault with a dangerous weapon (the motorcycle), reckless driving, eluding a police officer, and resisting arrest.

The police identified Costa as the suspect and secured an arrest warrant Tuesday after receiving several tips. Costa’s picture — snapped by a bystander during the police confrontation Sunday afternoon in Providence — had been posted on various media outlets following the incident.

Prompted by the tips and subsequent investigation, the state police fanned out yesterday morning and checked locations in Providence, Woonsocket and several communities in Massachusetts before at least seven officers — from the state police fugitive unit and some detectives — found Costa in an apartment above Epic Auto, at the intersection of Valley Street and River Avenue in Providence.

“We found him hiding in some tires in the attic,†Lynch said, explaining that Costa had stacked several tires in the attic and was standing inside them.

After a brief struggle, Costa was taken into custody.

Until his arrest, the police were not sure whether the suspect had been shot in Sunday’s confrontation. Authorities learned yesterday that Costa had been shot, according to Lynch. It’s unclear whether the bullet hit his motorcycle, a Suzuki that has yet to be recovered.

The police yesterday also named the trooper who fired the shot. Trooper Brendan Doyle has been placed on paid administrative leave while the shooting is investigated, a standard practice in police shootings.

The police confiscated a motorcycle helmet, which had a distinctive Mohawk fringe, and a jacket and pair of jeans that they believe Costa was wearing Sunday when, the police say, he led them on a chase at speeds between 108 and 120 mph.

After losing the police on Route 146, the motorcyclist, who was driving a blue and white Suzuki and wearing a blue and white helmet with a centurion fringe, was spotted by a trooper who was at a red light at Steeple and Canal streets.

The biker was a few lanes over, at the front of the lane. The trooper, Doyle, got out of his cruiser and walked up to the motorcycle, gun drawn, Lynch said.

Doyle stood in front of the bike and ordered the motorcyclist off at gunpoint, Lynch said. But the biker allegedly revved his engine and ran into the trooper, he said.

Doyle fired a shot at close range, and the state police initially believed he either hit the motorcycle or the biker. The motorcyclist drove off. The trooper was uninjured, Lynch said

They ended up gettin him, it was just a matter of time, I heard he wishes he pulled over  
wow.gif
 oops  Lets see what happens now
lurk.gif

not a doubt about it he would have got away clean if there wasnt a girl with a camera phone nearby,
He was on the longest straitest least busy high way in the state, not to mention one of the only ones left with no cameras.. Tough luck, some might say he deserves what he gets for acting up on a public street, others say we all do it... Im not sure how I feel yet, cause Im here and I know him and I know our local troopers {in general}... Its a tough call.
One thing I do know is that its gonna bring a lot of heat to the rest of us, with plastic on our bikes.....  Hasnt even went past 60* yet and already 2 fatalities and a few front page stories... And now we have 7 inches of snow as of today
firedevil.gif

What a jerk off that guy is. People like him give the rest of us a bad name. Sport bike or cruiser. Glad they got him

Fleeing Felon, I don't think so. Yes, this will be interesting. Dude should have pulled over. Positive ID would have been a biotch. I'm sorry but I don't pull people that leave my line of sight, because I couldn't in good conscience testify to it being them.

Wow!
wow.gif

If they can prove it was him, photos and the bullet wound(CSI magic), he's done for.

Can't understand why he choose to ride right at an officier with a gun drawn....

(SpeedAdict @ Mar. 16 2007,17:18) What a jerk off that guy is. People like him give the rest of us a bad name. Sport bike or cruiser. Glad they got him
I agree for the most part, he is over 30 and still blowing wheelies on the back pegs, and he really ddnt have much chioce {in his mind} to run because he has a ton of previos charges, no licence ect. ect. ect.

I wont lie, I will bring the front wheel to 11 o clock when theres a little audience and NO danger to innocent bystanders. Or maybe bring the rear tire up when coming to a nice clean dry red light, I also buried my old busas speedo more than once... And I know every single guy I ride with has RAN {because I was with them on a few occasions}
Im by no means proud of these things, and I really dont know why I do them, because Im 27 years old I have 2 kids, houses , businesses, and a lot to lose. ITS A SICKNESS, I actually bought a gsxr1000 so I can still go hang wheelies with my freinds once and a while cause the new turbo busa, probably wont be able to stay up for more than a few pole lengths..

The fact of the matter is, if you get spotted on one wheel or speeding and theres an open rode ahead of you, theres a very good chance you will get away. Most cops will just hang back call it in and try to remember you for next time... He cought some bad luck, the cop jumped in front of him with his gun out, he got scared rolled his wrist got his bike shot and kept on going...
I heard from people that where at the scene, he was no where close to hitting the guy and the cop was jumping in front of him. He wasnt gunning for him, anyone knows if you hit someone you will probably also fall, not a good idea o fall with more cops rite behind you.......
Anyway I have mixed feelings about this, It wasnt me, and I dont know what I would have done, If there was a nice clear highway in front of me and a couple troopers hanging around, I might take off....

Wow will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Shoula coulda woulda!

Dont know what I would do. 99.8% sure I would pull over if it was me(clean license etc.. , but with no license etc etc etc thats a different story especially if he rides like that

(Charlesbusa @ Mar. 16 2007,20:50) Wow!
wow.gif

If they can prove it was him, photos and the bullet wound(CSI magic), he's done for.

Can't understand why he choose to ride right at an officier with a gun drawn....
Remember he was stationary at the light when approached. Remember he had a weapon pointed at him. In many, many instances today, regardless of automobile, motorcycle or on foot, criminals run. Don't ask me why because I don't know. This guy may have a clean record I don't know, but you have a lot of wanted people out there, and you have people that just barrowed their buddies stolen bike, etc.

In review I think the better tactic would have been to come up on his six and grab hold of him. My 2 cents. I wasn't there so it doesn't matter.

I have no sympathy for idiots like this.  One less retard off the road.  You wanna do wheelies, speed, and break laws....then fine.  I got no problem with that....  I do have issues with trying to run down a cop or leading a high speed chase.....now your endangering innocent people.

Just read a few threads down. No DL, under suspension, and long criminal history. I'll be surprised If the officer isn't punished as well, given what I have read tonite. Of course, what I've read may not reflect the facts or all the facts.

sorry but you should never run... its selfish and dangerous and isnt worth the risk. if you dont have a license then its obvious you shouldnt even be on the bike...

The story doesnt really telll the truth they try to make the cop look good, truth is he was out of the car waiting for him, jumped in front of him and drew his gun. The bike never actually stopped.. . He didnt know about the pictures, until later, so he was still out riding around, thinking they didnt have a clue who he was, meanwhile they had pic inside his helmet...

Running is a stupid thing to do and this guy deserves to be punished for it. However, since when is evading arrest and speeding deserve a death sentence? The cop had no business taking a shot at the jerk. Next thing you know they will be shooting us out of the saddle for minor infractions stating, "I thought he was going to run". I have no sympathy for the perp, but deadly force was not warranted.

Yeah, if your caught, your cuaght. Its really not worth running. I'm 59 and I still take mine to the top once in a while, but if I was cuaght, I would pull over. Running only makes things worse.

(dmrowe @ Mar. 16 2007,22:05) Running is a stupid thing to do and this guy deserves to be punished for it. However, since when is evading arrest and speeding deserve a death sentence? The cop had no business taking a shot at the jerk. Next thing you know they will be shooting us out of the saddle for minor infractions stating, "I thought he was going to run". I have no sympathy for the perp, but deadly force was not warranted.
Those offenses are not worth shooting at someone, but assault with a deadly weapon is. If someone is trying to run you down with a vehicle that is a little different than just evasion.

Back