Lets talk about lids.

(BigSimp @ Nov. 30 2006,09:43) I notice no one seemed to like ICON helmets. Why is that?
Uhh, Loud
smile.gif

Actually I've been wearing an ICON for the past few years and I've been looking for something better for almost as long. I'm not exactly unhappy with ICON, but...

1) It's loud
2) Vents are good for nothing

Not that it's miserable, but I would also like a better, quieter lid.

The high end Shoei seems to fix best, but I hate to spend the money just to find out it's no better.

hmm...

(g17 @ Nov. 30 2006,02:08) rf-1000
I did extensive research on this exact subject (probaly way more hours than my wife cared for) The RF-1000 wins by 2 decibels over the Arai in the 500$ or less category. The next noticable difference (-10 decibals) brought you into the 1000$ category. I have a RF1000 and love it. Went down with it and it protected great. Landed head first and everything and didn't even get a headache afterwords. You can ebay them for 225 for solid colors.

(smokin_gunz @ Dec. 01 2006,04:35) almost new black X-11, size XL for sale. fits slightly losse on me so selling.
Send me some pics of it and asking price. Been wanting an X-11.

I wear a XL Arai RX7 and also have a Suomy Extreme Dragon in XL that I will try on next week when I get back from Iraq.

Back on subject: Top priority when choosing helmets is fit. Pick the best you can afford and go with whichever fits you best. Use earplugs and the noise issue will be taken care of.

i like how light the shoei are compared to a freaking ICON . ( learned my lesson)

In helmets, you get what you pay for .

No point owning a $13000 motorcycle and riding it with a 90 dollar helmet.

(hionbusa @ Dec. 09 2006,00:07) In helmets, you get what you pay for .

No point owning a $13000 motorcycle and riding it with a 90 dollar helmet.
+1

i like my shoei's. rf1000, rf900 & x11. I also have a KBC, think its force rr

x11 has best ventilation & is quiet.
i got into shoei helnets b/c of SCCA racing.

i am thinking about trying the new Shark hemlet but waiting for a few more reviews.

Lamb has owned 2 Shoei, both about 15 years ago. Now Lamb uses the Arai Quantum and it fits perfectly! It is louder that the Shoei, no question. However, from lookinfg at the Shoei at the dealerships lately, it appears that the quality has decreased slightly. It almost looks like the helmets don't go as far down onto the neck area as they did a few years ago. The visor system on the Arai does grab the air more than the Shoei. No DOUBT!!!

I have a Shoei, a KBC, and two HJC CL-14 helmets. The HJC is the least expensive, but is the best of the bunch as far as noise is concerned. A little heavy though.

(V8N3T @ Nov. 30 2006,07:36) I got the Arai Quantom 2 Tattoo Blue, was quiter than my first helmet the Blue/Silver RF-1000. And it fits MUCH better. Thats why I went with arai, they have different shells for different shaped heads. They are pricey tho, but well worth it in my eyes.
Same bucket, same results.

Another perk of the Arai Q2 is it's amazingly lightweight. The combination of fit, finish, and weight makes for good riding.

(Old School @ Nov. 30 2006,09:47) Scorpion Exo-700. I have had the best Arai and Shoei have to offer. Scorpion is quieter and costs less than $200!
smile.gif
On my melon, the Scorpion Exo-700 isn't as quiet as my Arai Quantum II. It's also considerably heavier and the visor is harder to change (though not by much).

For the price-point though, it's a great purchase, which is why it plays backup to the Arai.

my arai quantum f 2001 model is loud as he11. the windjammer 2 does help reduce some of the noise.

anyone got a Schuberth??

I've had HJC, Suomy, Shoei
depends on the vents, Suomy wasn't adj=like the other 2
Prolly my X11, it's not that quiet

Back