Bluetooth Lids/MP3/GPS/Cell Phones

JINKSTER

I Love my Wife!
Donating Member
Registered
so...according to verizon it's "that time" again and daddy gets to upgrade...i'm thinking that i recalled something regarding a helmet company that manufactures a bluetooth equipped lid complete with integral earphones and built-in microphone to both take calls or listen to tunes from your mp3/cellphone in a wieless fashion...the question is two part...

1. What helmet manufacturer makes the best factory installed oem bluetooth equipped lid?

and...

2. What's the badest azz'ed mp3/gps/cellphone currently on the market?
rock.gif

I was looking at both the (touchscreen) "VENUS" and/or the "VOYAGER" at the verizon kiosck while upgrading my daughters broken pos cellphone to the enV i got her last night...but daddy wants to hook'im self up with a new mp3 bluetooth equipped lid to rock wireless while riding O-Ren..what say my busa bretheren and...

TIA, L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

I have the Voyager and I have yet to have a problem with it yet. I can't say to much about bluetooth on it but the MP3 player is nice..

I have a Zumo 550, with Scala Rider Fm. IT works pretty good. Do some research as to what phones suck with bluetooth..Mine drops off alot, it is irritating. I'm gonna get a new phone too soon..:)

BMW makes a bluetooth helmet that looks pretty cool. I dont know the price or a supplier but it is called System V Bluetooth helmet if you want to dig up some more info.

2757643665464176.jpg

Nolan had a display at the Intl Cycle Show and I checked out their helmets with the N-Com system. They appear to be pretty cool, but I don't know anyone who has actually tried one.

From their website:
Nolan N-Com

Thanks to the new N-Com communication system by Nolan, you'll always be connected to the world. No matter where you are, you can use the N-Com system to communicate on your mobile phone or listen to music on your MP3 player, or to connect to a Bike-to-Bike Radio to communicate with other bikes. Moreover, you can talk via intercom with your passenger (Bluetooth or cable).

as far as phones the v9m, i can mod the heck out of this thing, it is a work of art.

ok hear we go:

For helmets with built in bluetooth. NOLAN all the way. The N-com system is the pimpness.

If you love the lid you already have. Go Scala Rider`s latest and greatest, th Q4 (I think) you can sync up to 3 bluetooth items, have a team set (you and your rider) and still have bluetooth rider to rider (up to 300 feet) coms also. The new kit fits on most lids with out a problem and they are releaseing a HD headphone set in either 2nd or 3rd qt this year that will replace your existing headset and mounting bracking also adding a aux jack for more things to plug into. The Q4 kit is gona be 199.

You can sync up like your phone, ipod and GPS all at the same time, still have rider to pass coms and then also have rider to rider coms. Pretty cool if you ask me.

as for phones. If you want the hotness from Verizon, you have to look at the motorola Q music edition. Full PDA with MP3 and stereo bluetooth (this is a must for using it with headphones, most bluetooth out there now is stereo mono, look for bluetooth 2.0)
Its a great phone that I think has gps and full internet. Very handy when your sitting on your butt waiting for something.

If I can help out any other way just let me know.

Josh

Ryders Connection

P.s. I see everything you need for your bluetooth hook up except the phones

ok hear we go:

For helmets with built in bluetooth. NOLAN all the way. The N-com system is the pimpness.

If you love the lid you already have. Go Scala Rider`s latest and greatest, th Q4 (I think) you can sync up to 3 bluetooth items, have a team set (you and your rider) and still have bluetooth rider to rider (up to 300 feet) coms also. The new kit fits on most lids with out a problem and they are releaseing a HD headphone set in either 2nd or 3rd qt this year that will replace your existing headset and mounting bracking also adding a aux jack for more things to plug into. The Q4 kit is gona be 199.

You can sync up like your phone, ipod and GPS all at the same time, still have rider to pass coms and then also have rider to rider coms. Pretty cool if you ask me.

as for phones. If you want the hotness from Verizon, you have to look at the motorola Q music edition. Full PDA with MP3 and stereo bluetooth (this is a must for using it with headphones, most bluetooth out there now is stereo mono, look for bluetooth 2.0)
Its a great phone that I think has gps and full internet. Very handy when your sitting on your butt waiting for something.

Josh

Ryders Connection

your the man i myself am going to pick your brain as soon as i get my own question in order..
bowdown.gif

Just ordered mine from Josh. After talking to him about the capabilities of the new Q4 I am all over that. Hopefully it comes in soon.

Josh, let me know when you expect it in.
beerchug.gif

ok hear we go:

Josh

Ryders Connection

well?...sounds like great info Josh...and it appears that Nolans N-Com lid IS the way to go..thanks man...but i do question wether or not that flippy looking sunvisor rig will hold up to the occassional ludicrist high triples my busa sometimes does....remember...i broke a visor on my scorpion exo 700!
laugh.gif

anyways...tonights the night i have time available to upgrade my cellphone to a new bluetooth enabled mp3/gps cell...i'm looking at the following shortlist...

1. Venus

2. Voyager

3. Navigator

My selection is limited to cellphones currently offered by verizon...and any recomendations, insight, advice or opines are welcome...thanks folks and?...L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Not sure which one to point you towards... I will say that I heard the touch screen one, voyager I think, gets scratched up pretty easy and quickly. I'm waiting on the new Treo800 to come out or I'd be going with the Moto Q. I'd definitely get the insurance on one if you dont have it already.
beerchug.gif

Just so you know, Nolan makes the BEST flip up lids on the planet. Only draw back to there lids are the point where the chin bar and main part of the helmet meet, its kinda wide and looks a little funny to me from the front. But there is a good reason for this. Nolan is the only maker on the market that uses solid metal hinges. Most others use only part metal and then plastic for the rest. That makes for a lighter lid but a chin bar that is not up to DOT.

And as for there extrunal sun visor. I know for a fact its good up to 170. Been there done that. Liked it alot. And when your not using it at night, it does not whistle at you goin down the road.

Josh

okay folks...in speaking with Josh of Ryders Connection earlier today i decided on and commited to buy not one but 2 Scala Rider Q4 units...however...price hasn't been set yet as we also discussed this being a good kick-off for a possible group buy...and to help you understand my reasoning behind this selection?...here's the thoughts that went through my head...

"Nolan N-Com":

okay..yeah..it's the flip top pimper with a true intergral bluetooth/com system buuut?...

1. What if i don't like the lid for any number of reasons/possibilities or drop/crash it?...the com system is built in...integral...ya lose one?...ya lose'im both...lid and bluetooth com system.

2. $600 Beans?
rock.gif
....okay...I dropped $498 on my shoei X11...cause it feels light on my head...especially at speed...so i don't want metal hinges hanging off the side of my head..nor do i want a system that's not transferable from lid too lid.

"Scala Rider":

Currently marketing at $199 per unit...bluetooth...mp3...bike too bike rider to rider intercom/chatter channels (that don't use your cell minutes)...and mounts or transfers to any lid you like...and for $200 less than the $600 nolan n-com you can wire up and icom two lids?...for under $400?...sign me up!
smile.gif

Do yo thang Josh...group buy!
smile.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

smile.gif

Back