Legality of dump for turbo

Jayabusa

Registered
I'm trying to figure out the legality of the dump pipe vs. exhaust and could use some hlep. I am looking into getting a Turbo soon, I love the look of a dump pipe but from my understaning in California and Kansas mufflers are required. I am in the Navy stationed in California but my residence is still Kansas which is why I ask about these two particular states. Thanks for any help.

I thought that you had to have a CARB certified modification in order to pass inspection in CA.

A would be greatly surprised if a dump pipe could be CARB certified....let alone the rest of the system. muffler is a minor detail IMO....worse case, you bolt one on for the inspection....but if the system won't pass anyway, then you're in trouble regardless to the exhaust

clamp a muffler on the dump pipe for the inspection and remove it afterwards
wink.gif

there are a few builders out there that can get a turbo kit to pass the inspection
THE MOTORHEAD has built a few kits for cali

if they're passing in Cali I'm betting its because they "know someone" situation. Dump pipe awarded me a $94 ticket in less than 20 miles a few years back.....won't own another for personal usage.

thats one of the benifits to living in the south we can run what ever we want.and no one will bother us.you want to run your bigblock open header rail bug down the street noooo problem
smile.gif

yeah same here in ia. A friendly police officer pulled up next to me on the right side with my dump blasting him in the face of his open window and he just smiled.
cool.gif

Thanks for the help guys. It's looking more and more like I will have to run a full exhaust though due to Cali and Kansas state laws. From what I have read on it motorcycles are required by law to have mufflers in both states.

they aren't just supposed to have mufflers by law, they are supposed to have either stock mufflers or EPA/CARB regulation/certified mufflers. Its just a question of Db levels as far as the exhaust system goes. Has to meet or exceed the regulated levels for a stock bike of that year.

That is the real law....but if your system is relatively quiet, they won't care if its certified or not. States have been turning a blind eye to bike exhaust system for ages (its always been illegal)...but recently more states are starting to crack down on it, unfortunately mostly due to all the harley's running around at 2am with open straight pipes. Piss off enough people, and everyone pays.

EPA laws are very severe btw. $10K per offense. They consider an offense per COMPONENT that is altered. Thats aimed at business' though, not citizens.

<!--EDIT|Uncle Bob
Reason for Edit: None given...|1153618096 -->

Just checked the AMA website and the question I had is solved, I think, I just have to register it in Kansas and according to the AMA there is No Acoustical Criteria which is the same as Arkansas and Iowa as browning and fstbusa have said their states it is legal to run. Here is the AMA website if anyone else wants to look at it.... http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/laws.asp

Military has it's advantages sometimes.

EPA law is federal. Whether or not the state has ADDITIONAL laws on exhaust systems won't change that, but like I said, it doesn't matter much since most states don't follow EPA laws, let alone state laws.

has nothing to do with emissions testing.

the laws are convoluted and rarely enforced. I was just attempting to add some info to the thread, but everything I said can be safely ignored for the most part. Its a non-issue.

I think anything legal wise should be considered then it's up to the person if they want to follow the law or take a chance. If they aren't enforcing it now when will they start if at all. I appreciate the information nothing wrong with knowing more.

Any modification can result in a ticket here in California.  If your bike has Kansas plates, I'm not sure about the legality.

Very very few cops will write you for exhaust mods, undertail mods, etc...  But they can.  And they're more likely to write you if you get yourself noticed
wink.gif

It pays to know someone who knows a cop who'll sign off a fix it ticket.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1153854702 -->

Back