LED's in the Wheels!!!!!

the look is awesome but for what you can safely do in the fender or swingarm I woudl take versus something attached to the wheel that could possibly come off and get wrapped into the wheel or forks or whatever and lock your ass up at speed. No thanks!

anything late and great on this thread? I still received the same $1500 quote and i'm fiending for this look!!!!

I have tested them and you can do well over 150 with no problem. Mine is the blue and green is my brothers. Real easy to install we got the pucs from raw design and I got my leds from autozone. They have been on for a few years and I have had no problems with them and it didn't cost me 1500.00

1100.jpg

1096.jpg

1094.jpg

1030.jpg

921.jpg

1104.png

I made my own set of pucks from copper clad board. It's pretty much hidden compared to the Raw Design Cycle setup.

i see there hasnt been a reply on how to mount these leds inside the wheels.. I have done this myself and I can tell anyone interested that it is alot of work.. But if you want more info on how to do it just send me a message. I will come back on here in the next few days and post pics of the puc that goes inside the wheel spacer that powers the led's and how it all works. It is basically like a rotary tool motor, you solder brushes onto a copper pcb board thats cut to size for your specific bike and you run 12v power to it from your battery. Sounds crazy but ive had mine on now for about 8 months and they work.. even after a 600 mile trip to the dragons tail at 140mph + the setup is solid and secure.. I am adding pics on here now to show you guys

LED1.jpg

LED2.jpg

LED5.jpg

LEDFULL1.jpg

LEDFULL3.jpg

Here is a pic I have to show the piece inside the wheel that the puc sits against. The brushes contact this piece to provide the power to the lights and the wire you see coming off this one is what you attach to all the positive led wires. The negative led wires attach together and you ground to the wheel itself.
image-2344333870.jpg

image-12029625.jpg

image-2344333870.jpg

image-12029625.jpg

I created another thread with instructions. Did you custom make your pucs or did you buy them? My setup is all scratchbuilt

I gotta figure out how to do this cheaper. Its a good look to me.

You and me both D:beerchug:. I'm thinking about doing the LED thing maybe this summer. I'm in the Chicago area as well, we should link up for a ride and maybe grab a few other people.:poke:

I'm no electrician so I couldn't make mine from scratch without knowing how it all worked first. I bought the kit from xdcycle (worst experience ever) that spinwurx made, actually I ended up findin out spinwurx stole the idea from raw designs & they got caught. Needless to say the pucs I bought broke after a few miles and I ended up having to repair them myself which led to me changing the design a bit too. So the puc's on my wheels now are made from scratch but not like yours, I used pcb but not the hard clad that you used, mine is green flex board & I cut copper rings to fit. How do you run the one brush? I have 4 brushes on mine and can't see how one will keep contact ? What keeps the brushes pressure against the commutator ring? I'd like to know more on how you did yours. I can tell you where to get the pieces I used if you care to know.

I'm no electrician so I couldn't make mine from scratch without knowing how it all worked first. I bought the kit from xdcycle (worst experience ever) that spinwurx made, actually I ended up findin out spinwurx stole the idea from raw designs & they got caught. Needless to say the pucs I bought broke after a few miles and I ended up having to repair them myself which led to me changing the design a bit too. So the puc's on my wheels now are made from scratch but not like yours, I used pcb but not the hard clad that you used, mine is green flex board & I cut copper rings to fit. How do you run the one brush? I have 4 brushes on mine and can't see how one will keep contact ? What keeps the brushes pressure against the commutator ring? I'd like to know more on how you did yours. I can tell you where to get the pieces I used if you care to know.

I'm no electrician either lol

I used a pen spring to keep constant pressure on the carbon brush against the contact ring. I drill a small hole first through the puc enough for the carbon brush tail to pass through then I used a larger drill bit but didn't drill all the way through. I stopped just before it breaks through. The reason for that is so the pen spring has something to rest on.

Mind you my power puc setup is for a single colour. If you wanted to do multi-colour you would have to get the control box, take out the circuit board, hot glue the circuit board to waterproof it and then mount it inside of your wheel. Reason for that is because the control box is too big and won't fit in the hole. Also, it only needs one power source which would be the puc.

The Raw Design Cycles puc system is different. The downside to their system is you can SEE the contact ring because there are 4 rings and it looks like a small disc brake added onto your wheel. Each contact ring will control a colour and you can mount the control box anywhere.

My whole setup costed me less than $100 buying all materials and tools

Back