LED and general Wiring question

standiggity

Registered
Ok, so we have to hook up some LED turn signals and Bolt LEDs to illuminate the rear end of my friend's 636 ninja.  The bolt LEDs will need to be "daisychained" for lack of a better word.  To do this, I am assuming you would run the + line to the first one, then the ground to the next + line on the next LED, the the ground to the original ground for the tag lights.  Is this how it is supposed to be done?

Also, what's a good way to initially test LEDs when they arrive.. I've heard 9 volt battery?  

As Always, thanks for the help guys!!!

Yes, you are right. Google how to wire LEDS and you'll see. Wire in series or parallel. You have resistors built in your LED right? If you didn't the led wouldn't light up.

Resistors built in? Bought them off Ebay (led bolts and led turns). Shoudl I see the resistor inline on the wires?

watch out with the resistors i've been told that they put unnecessary load on the circuit (may overheat the wires)... dunno whether it's true or not but I've replaced my signal flasher with one of those 3 wire flashers that don't care about load (found in any auto stores for like $5).... when installed they will basically keep on flashing at same rate if a bulb is blown which is exactly what the circuit is like with LEDs. install took 5min, has been working perfectly with warnings as well!

as for the bolt LEDs I have those on my license place in parallel, they are rated for 12V so no worries there, just plug and play!

Hope this will help.

hello guys
im having a resistors over load right now. went out for a ride got home and my hump was smoking. when i bought the bike this winter it had leds as the blinker and brake lights in the rear. early this winter I install leds in the front blinkers and in stalled a flasher relay. now back to what i was saying i opened the hump and smoke was coming from a white little block that was jump on to the led wiring would this be my resistor. how would I correct this problem could i cut the resistors out sorry no pics i will get them tonight.

i have never ran the resistors and have never had a problem just get a quicker flash which i think is more visible

i have never ran the resistors and have never had a problem just get a quicker flash which i think is more visible
What he said!
thumb_up.gif

That would be your resistor. I'm running resistors on the flashers to correct the flash rate. You need to have the correct resistance and wattage on the resistor. You can remove the resistor, but without any light bulbs in the system I think your flash rate will be insane.

i do have a flasher relay i installed a couple of month ago the resistor was already in installed when i bought the bike for the back blinker now that i installed a flash relay could i cut the resistor out

you can bypass the OE flasher and install an IC flasher... that will allow you to remove the ceramic resistors (they are there to make the "thermal" flasher work).. hang on I will find the thread

i did do that you help me when i installed my front blinker but the rear blinker came with the bike and the resistor was there what could of caused the heat up you think when i installed the flasher relay in

blinker should have no effect on the resistor.. Probably just had the signals on longer than usual or something got on the resistor.. if you have the flasher installed already, you should be able to just cut the resistors out (should be in parallel, so no splicing needed)

yes i will take a pic of it in a little bit so you could tell me thanks that what i want to hear its my frist busa i enjoyed the ride to 48degrees today

hay02.JPG

Remove that before you take the bike out again. You doubled the wattage running through the resistor when you replaced the light bulbs with LEDs in the front. Without the front bulb adding resistance in the circuit, you are pumping about 30 watts through that resistor.

not to mention they heat shrinked the resistor... not a good idea...

Back