Lawmakers target Chinese Made Flags

Lycan

Emerging from slumber...
Donating Member
Registered
WASHINGTON (July 15) - The American flag has many labels: Stars and stripes. Old Glory. And sometimes, made in China.

Congress can't halt the flow of Chinese-made flags, but lawmakers can try to control where they are flown. The House declared Monday that any flag flown on federal property should be made in the U.S.A.
Congress declared in a non-binding resolution passed Monday that any flag flown on federal property -- like post offices and courthouses -- should be made in the U.S.A. Only U.S.-made flags fly over the nation's Capitol
"It's not a major problem facing the nation," admitted Rep. Bob Filner, D-Calif. "But it's an irritant."

Chinese-made flags seemed to pop up everywhere after the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks. People rushed to show their sense of patriotism by buying American flags, and U.S. manufacturers couldn't keep up with demand.

Foreign imports of American flags, worth around $1 million annually at the time, surged to nearly $52 million in the weeks that followed.

Then as demand subsided, lawmakers took action, requiring the Defense Department to buy American-made textiles and the Veterans Affairs Department to use American-made flags for burials.

And in the city where Congress meets, only U.S.-made flags fly over the nation's Capitol.

Still, more than 8,000 other federal buildings - courthouses, post offices, border stations, office buildings, among others - are under no such obligation.

Filner, chairman of the House Veterans Affairs Committee, wanted to force the government to buy only American-made flags. "But we were told that this mandatory stuff runs into trade agreements," the eight-term congressman said.

That is because the U.S. has gone to great pains to hammer out trade deals with other countries and can't impose new limits after the fact.

His solution was a nonbinding "sense of Congress" resolution that cleared the House on Monday. It doesn't have any teeth, he admitted, but it's a start.

In the meantime, state governments are beginning to weigh in. A new law in Minnesota says all flags sold in the state must be made in the U.S., with violations subject to a fine of up to $1,000 and jail time of up to 90 days. The industry says similar measures have cropped up in Pennsylvania, Ohio and Florida.

The country's flag makers can easily make enough flags for the government, said Michael Liberman, president of Valley Forge Flag Co. in Wyomissing, Pa.

"That would be a very, very small part of our domestic demand; there's no problem with that," he said. "Right after Sept. 11, the U.S. flag industry couldn't keep up with demand. But that only occurred for probably four or five months."

It's not just the government - several retail chains have decided to buy American-made flags. Liberman's company sells flags to Ace Hardware, Target and Lowe's. But he's had trouble selling flags to some retailers.

"Others have not had a problem selling flags saying they are made in China or made in Korea," he said. "We're constantly trying to convince them there is a difference in quality and usability."
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif

clap.gif

clap.gif

And one more for the Men and Women serving our great country

images.jpg

Congress can't halt the flow of Chinese-made flags, but lawmakers can try to control where they are flown. The House declared Monday that any flag flown on federal property should be made in the U.S.A.
Congress declared in a non-binding resolution passed Monday that any flag flown on federal property -- like post offices and courthouses -- should be made in the U.S.A. Only U.S.-made flags fly over the nation's Capitol

Looks like they made a step in the right direction though ...
thumb_up.gif

Who cares where flags been made.It has nothing to do with patriotism. Waste of time like they have nothing better to do.

If you ever come up against a controversy...
Just follow the money.
guns.gif

It always comes down to the money
cool.gif

What is the cost of a flag made in China vs a flag made in the USA?
I'll bet that most people would, at first glance, buy the cheaper one if given the choice. Just consider how much you spend at Walmart.
I totally agree with the concept, but we can't expect to charge top dollar for our product to support (union?) high wages and then go shop at BargainTown and ***** about Made in China.

Ad2.jpg

Who cares where flags been made.It has nothing to do with patriotism. Waste of time like they have nothing better to do.
wtf.gif
How can you honestly say that where a flag is made has nothing to do with patriotism?? I couldn't disagree more.

From Wikipedia:

Patriotism denotes positive and supportive attitudes to a 'fatherland' (Latin patria < Greek patris, Ã￾€Î±Ã￾„Ã￾￾ÃŽ¯Ã￾‚), by individuals and groups. The 'fatherland' (or 'motherland') can be a region or a city, but patriotism usually applies to a nation and/or a nation-state. Patriotism covers such attitudes as: pride in its achievements and culture, the desire to preserve its character and the basis of the culture, and identification with other members of the nation.

How can I take pride in flying a flag when that flag is a cheap production of a flag made in a country that usually opposes American beliefs and was most likely made by a 10 year old girl for a wage that neither you nor I would ever work for. The problem with this country today is that people come up with cop out excuses to justify flying such a flag.

ThumbsUp.gif
for lawmakers even considering this

It is more an irritant as the article said.

And I can see both sides. With the problems facing our country it seems a bit of a waste of time even if I agree with it.

I try to buy stuff made in the US when I can. US companies should get some kind of tax break or something so they can offer their products at a decreased price. That's why so many companies and individuals turn to foreign markets or foreign made items.

Remember we're capitalists! Money is the American god (not that I'm one much for religion of any sort).

hmmmmm nice priorities...

which is costing American's more:

- non USA Made flags
- ILLEGAL immigrants

Way to go, Government. Way to earn those $160,000 paychecks for accomplishing SOMETHING.

How can I take pride in flying a flag when that flag is a cheap production of a flag made in a country that usually opposes American beliefs and was most likely made by a 10 year old girl for a wage that neither you nor I would ever work for. The problem with this country today is that people come up with cop out excuses to justify flying such a flag.
I bet 99% of stuff you use is made in China, Don`t you think it`s a little unpatriotic?
Why you are NOT flying a flag on your Busa just like Harley riders do (with Chinese made flags BTW)
Why you are NOT riding an American made motorcycle? You ride Busa instead displaying Japs logo? Remember what they did at Pearl Harbor
rock.gif
?

Don`t you think you`ve been a little hypocritical here?

I can make a flag with piece of paper and crayons and it will mean more to me than factory made one. Our factory or Chinese factory, doesn`t matter.

I`d buy Made in USA product over foreign one in a heart beat.

My point is: It doesn`t matter where flag is made and how much it cost. It`s a symbol. Chinese made or not as symbol it serve it purpose.

next time i buy a flag i'm gonna buy one made here though. just seems silly to buy an American flag made in china

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Americans do.</span>

It has everything to do with patriotism.
The American Flag is the symbol of this nation.
The symbol of the nation should be made in that same nation that it represents.

If you don't care, that's your perogative.
I'm a 10 year military veteran and I only fly US made flags at my house.

I'll even tell you flat out I don't shop at Walmart either or Sam's Club.

hmmmmm nice priorities...

which is costing American's more:

- non USA Made flags
- ILLEGAL immigrants

Way to go, Government. Way to earn those $160,000 paychecks for accomplishing SOMETHING.
It's a start.

There's a 100 things that go across the Congress floor a day probably.
But I do agree, Illegals is a major issue. But I won't take this victory
away from them because of that.

i was under the impression that atleast our flag wasn't "outsourced" i guessed wrong!

Guys, guys, guys...my only point was, no matter the situations surrounding it it is still a good idea period.
Personally I choose to make sure that the flags I purchase ARE made in the USA....when so many have given so much to defend our freedoms, respecting them by waving an american flag made in the US is just the only way to respect them IMHO...that's just the way I roll, take a few seconds Like I do when you buy one, and make sure its made in the US, trust me that moment of conscious thought will touch you in your heart...if even for a moment
beerchug.gif

Back