K9 First service

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
Bought this bike in January and did the first service today, at 1128 miles.

I did everything to the book, but really the bike only needed an oil change, as even the chain free play was still in specification, although at the upper limit. My serial number was in the recall as well, so I did the clutch service, but must say all my spring guide bolts were tight and slightly above actual torque specs when loosening, due to bind. The cover gasket is a high quality gasket, I had a spare, but did not need it.

I use to work for Mercedes Benz as an Automotive Engineer, a long, long time ago, so I have worked on lots of expensive toys. Must say, the Busa really impresses me in terms of how it is engineered, especially taking care of the finer technical details. Only complaint is the plastics, but once you have the hang of it, it's OK.

One thing I wish to share with other riders is that my box became a bit tight here towards the end. Had to shift it like I mean it, otherwise a few false neutrals between 5 and 6. After the service, it is as smooth as a baby's butt, even the clunking on down-shifts is totally different. Only thing that could have changed this is the oil change. My oil originally filled at the factory probably changed a bit in viscosity, with time and oxidation. Upon changing the oil, it was relatively clean, but there was a very slight sludge film evident.

Without getting into another oil thread, I would suggest that riders with clunky gear shifts take an oil sample and send it for analysis. I always wonder how we know that what is written on the container as the specification is exactly what we find inside.

Happy riding:thumbsup:

Busa.jpg

I agree with the plastics are a pain until you have taken them offf a couple of times. The inside panels by the radiator seem to not stay together as good after a couple of times apart. I also don't like the removal of the rear wheel...need more hands. They could of designed the caliper slot better...:whistle:

Back