It Sucks to be Me

Rob'sBus

Registered
I did the unthinkable on Saturday...I lowsided the Busa on her right side. I'm ok but my Busa baby is not. Scraped up the right side fairing, a little scrape on the front nose section near the right side fairing, broke the right brake lever, scraped the right mirror and put a quarter size scrape on the right exhaust past the point where it bolts on. That's the only damage as far as I can tell. I can't even look at her without getting teary eyed. Anyway, I want to fix her but I don't just want to go to the nearest dealer and pay top price for the parts. Anyone know of a good place to go to order the parts I've listed? Thanks for your help.

I would suggest repair and repaint on the plastics, did that on my Son's TL when he lowsided it last year, and people cannot believe I did it all in my garage using spray paint cans for base, color and clear coats. Got the urethane paints (factory colors) from Color-Rite paint. www.color-rite.com

Used bondo and fiberglass to make the repairs.

YMMV

Good Luck in either case, and glad to hear YOU are OK !

Sorry to hear about the 'Busa. All the options listed are good and you may check allpromotorsports.com for plastics and parts411.com for the mirror.

Glad you're okay , that's most important ... good luck with getting the Busa back to brand new !

Glad you're ok! Could have been a LOT worse. You were able to come here and post about it.
wink.gif
I was thinkin' like that, too, on Sunday after I dropped Da' Train in the driveway. Sucks to be me, I thought... Then we worked a sport bike crash Monday and the rider had to be life flighted out due to SERIOUS injuries. Then all of a sudden it ROCKED to be me, with my rashed paint, scuffed metal bits, and only two pulled/sore muscles (one in arm and my right hamstring) that have all but healed already.
biggrin.gif

We had a guy on a V65 Magnum hit a deer this morning, too. I'm off tomorrow and Thursday this week and I'm almost afraid to ride!
drooling3.gif
I'm gonna though, I hope.
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

I would suggest repair and repaint on the plastics, did that on my Son's TL when he lowsided it last year, and people cannot believe I did it all in my garage using spray paint cans for base, color and clear coats. Got the urethane paints (factory colors) from Color-Rite paint. www.color-rite.com

Used bondo and fiberglass to make the repairs.

YMMV

Good Luck in either case, and glad to hear YOU are OK !
geekenstein, I have 2 paint jobs to do, an 03 sv1ks copper and and an 03gsxr1k silver, both bikes have complete rashed lower right panels and the noses are rashed on the right, everything sandable. prolly sand and paint the panels and blend the noses? whats your thoughts using the cans from color right, are they good for blending and do you have any tips for a first timer using the cans?

Glad you OK...Don't know about the repairs...Might be a good time to paint entire bike if you had that on your mind...
evil.gif

Thanks to all for the replies. I'm trying to put together a master list of parts needed so I can price the repairs out. You know, I used to read the posts on here that said "everyone's going to go down sometime . . ." and I just shook my head and thought, "Not Me." It's amazing how quickly you can be humbled. I'm just glad I was able to walk away with a few scratches and a bruised ego. Some are not so lucky.

whats your thoughts using the cans from color right, are they good for blending and do you have any tips for a first timer using the cans?[/QUOTE]
Blending with original colors is fine, as long as the existing color hasn't faded from sunlight exposure too much. What I did was masked off the area I didn't want to hit, then sanded and prepped the area I did need to paint, then when all prepping was done, remask and leave about 1/8 inch of the existing paint on and lightly sand with fine paper that 1/8 inch area, that will take the clear coat out, leaving the masking applied. Then go through the steps of paint, base and color coats, then off comes the masking and remask again leaving another 1/8 inch area of the original paint (now we are up to 1/4 inch of original paint unmasked) and that is when you shoot the clear over it all.

The main prepping is make sure it is VERY clean prior to painting, and also want to be in a fairly dustfree environment. What I did was plastic tarp my entire upstairs (not used) bathroom and used that as my paint booth.

You will end up with a line where the new and old paint meet, that can be sanded off carefully and re cleared again. Use 600 or higher grit sandpaper for that. I didn't do that because the line wasn't that noticeable.

HTH

Damn Rob!!! Are you OK? I missed your post a few weeks ago I guess....I was wondering why I hadn't seen you out lately.

Let me know what I can do to help out your repairs, if you need to pay for parts, fine, but don't pay those guys for installation of anything. I'll come over to help out and get her back together.

I should have my front fairing hopefully by today, too.

Call me!!

Dan

Back