Is this true about the TRE?????

braingetter

Registered
Whats up org, man i have been grinding real hard trying to modify my bike to satisfy my endless needs. I am in the process of customizing my bike, its an 01 with alot of mods i learned from here : fairing screens,kickstand mod, small airbox mod, and undertail mod. I just purchased neons,extended sliders, an undertail off ebay (looks like top gun), smoked turn signals,side mirrors with leds on outside for turn signals, rear seat cowl hump, and is currently at my boyz paint shop getting kandy blue.. I got this latest item from ebay and I know it cuts out the govenor by keeping it in the 5th, but read what they are advertising about the torque in 1,2,and 3rd gears.. Is this true? I got it dirt cheap... here it is....

"Eliminates the "Cold Engine Feeling" that Suzukis have on the lower gears.

Removes the Factory Speed Governor.

It changes the timing map of the ECU to give the best performance from your bike.

Increases Horsepower, torque and throttle response.

Suzuki has deliberately programmed the ECM for less than maximal torque in the first three gears. Presumably, this is done to protect the rider from the full power! What they've done is to "retard" the timing, or make the spark occur TOO LATE, on purpose, so that maximal torque is NOT acheived.

The "TRE" removes this "retarding", to set the ignition spark back to the place where it will give maximal torque, just before top dead center. Thus you have "eliminated the timing retard" -- the "TRE' mod. With this mod you will notice more power possible in gears 1, 2, and 3. You'll notice SMOOTHER performance of the bike without all that jerking and engine braking in those lower gears.

Will only ship to the US.

Hayabusa TRE Timing Retard Eliminator GSXR 1300 : eBay Motors (item 270567459167 end time Apr-26-10 14:45:53 PDT)

yes it eliminates the timing retard and disables the speed limiter but it sets the bike in the 5th gear fuel map for all gears.

I had heard the first 4 gears were retarded and 6th is limited and thats why they keep it in 5th with the TRE because its the only one that is set right.
You will hear mixed reviews from people who can read. Some say its screws it up, give less power and torque and blah blah blah . . . This may be true but seat of the pants feel (No dyno proof) I felt a bigger gain from the TRE than I did from the power commander and I also gained an average of about 5 miles per gallon. I ran an 8th mile on my 07 with K&N air filter and TRE in 6.9 something, however, it would have been better but it my first and only time down a dragstrip and my take off was horrible I think 1.8 was my best 60 ft. time. Very slow I know :( but it was not due to the TRE everything I have experienced has been nothing but good :thumbsup:

Having the ecu only use the 5th gear map for all the gears is not the best solution to get around the speed limiter AND retain the bikes performance in all of its gears. A better solution is the TRE that only fools the ecu to think it's in 5th with it's actually in 6th. The best in my opinion is to use the ecu editor to eliminate the speed restriction.

There's a reason why you bought that critter cheap. I have three or four of them in my tool box that I would have given you.

the common misconception is that 1-4 gears are retarded ignition, well they are, but only at part throttle low rpm, not at wide open throttle etc, so put it on and you end up richer in the lower gears due to 5th gear ram air compensated fueling, and believe brock has shown data to support it slows down 1/4 mile e/t with it.

With that said lots of people love them, I am for sure not one of those people.

im really getting tired of people saying "it uses the fifth gear map and thats bad"... have ANY of you owned a power commander?? There is NO separate map for each gear.

My 12 second GTP had no specific map for each gear, and my buddies 9 second mustang didnt either..

Fueling is based on rpm and tps... no more no less... So much false info..

Wow......
Posted via Mobile Device

what does a power commander have to do with how a suzuki ecu functions?

Last edited:
Here is what the ecu has for gear based ram air compensation, our bikes have ram air, 6th gear at redline requires more fuel than 1st gear at redline, how else would suzuki compensate for this besides gear based fueling?

ramair-2.jpg

im really getting tired of people saying "it uses the fifth gear map and thats bad"... have ANY of you owned a power commander?? There is NO separate map for each gear.

My 12 second GTP had no specific map for each gear, and my buddies 9 second mustang didnt either..

Fueling is based on rpm and tps... no more no less... So much false info..

you are incorrect as well on rpm and tps only, suzuki's run vacuum based fueling with tps < 10%.

wouldnt it just be based on speed? Ive just never heard of ANY vehicle requiring a different fuel map for every gear...and car ecus are much more complex than our bike ecu..just doesnt make sense to me.

The power commander reference was to show that when they modify our fuel tables, there is no separate maps for each gear.

Maybe I came off a bit strong but so many people repeat what they hear as their own experience when half of them never owned a tre or whatever the subject happens to be.

well then smitha, you are more knowledgeable than me about this, so I admit im wrong if thats the case. But I still dont understand why there would be separate maps for each gear, as ram air fuel enrichment could change based on speed.

Back