Is this true about the TRE?????

well then smitha, you are more knowledgeable than me about this, so I admit im wrong if thats the case. But I still dont understand why there would be separate maps for each gear, as ram air fuel enrichment could change based on speed.

trace your speedo signal, it goes from sensor directly to dash, never goes to the ecu, it has no idea how fast you are going, only what gear and what rpm to determine vehicle speed.

Kawasaki's do send the speedo signal to the ECU, suzuki's dont.

fisystem.jpg

wouldnt it just be based on speed? Ive just never heard of ANY vehicle requiring a different fuel map for every gear...and car ecus are much more complex than our bike ecu..just doesnt make sense to me.

The power commander reference was to show that when they modify our fuel tables, there is no separate maps for each gear.

Maybe I came off a bit strong but so many people repeat what they hear as their own experience when half of them never owned a tre or whatever the subject happens to be.

Power commander doesn't have any provisions for messing with fuel based on:

engine coolant temp
intake air temp
barometric pressure
intake air pressure

either, though they are all considered by ecu to come up with a final fuel pulse output, just like in cars. Most cars can't go 200 mph and have ram air that will increase engine hp either.

I had PC V and XTRE installed same time same day.
My bike went in and came out a diff animal.
I gained almost 25hp from these two as well as 4into1 and dyno tune.

I cant say whether XTRE is what makes me happy or not cuz as I mentioned above both were done same time but I can say I am happy all the way around.

Blais Cycle the shop who did work told me I can simply remove XTRE if I want to see how she runs without it but it does not look that simple to me as there are a few wires running to it and away from it.

Rashad , Smithabusa is the Rainman of stuff like these things. Listen to him, Bo knows !

Last edited:
interesting debate gentlemen, guy who tuned my 99 told me tre only altered timing , not fuel map , my thinking was that if it thinks its in 5th gear it will run 5th gear parameters

i know the 99 is not restricted top end but its a little sluggish low down

im still non the wiser so i just junked it :whistle:

wouldnt it just be based on speed? Ive just never heard of ANY vehicle requiring a different fuel map for every gear...and car ecus are much more complex than our bike ecu..just doesnt make sense to me.

Many cars do have gear based changes. Both in production and racing applications. You also have to remember there are not many cars making 130-160+ hp per liter (rear wheel) like we are seeing with some of the bikes. I can assure you formula 1 cars are all making changes per gear.
Some cars are using speed vs rpm calculations to get the info needed. If you look closely at the wiring diagram of a Gen I Busa, the speed sensor does not go to the ECU.

From what I gathered from the forums and what people say is
there's a TRE, which keeps the gears 5-5-5-5-5-5. A smart TRE, which is 1-2-3-4-5-5.
There's the gear indicators w/ the smart TRE's built in and have an on/off switch.
And then there's people who turn off the restriction parameter by flashing the ecu and it doesn't interfere w/ anything.

I'd vote for flashing the ecu. Go onto "BoostBySmith's" website. ECU Flashing

From what I gathered from the forums and what people say is
there's a TRE, which keeps the gears 5-5-5-5-5-5. A smart TRE, which is 1-2-3-4-5-5.
There's the gear indicators w/ the smart TRE's built in and have an on/off switch.
And then there's people who turn off the restriction parameter by flashing the ecu and it doesn't interfere w/ anything.

I'd vote for flashing the ecu. Go onto "BoostBySmith's" website. ECU Flashing

no sir, a smart tre is simply 5-n-5-5-5-5-5

I'm glad my bike doesn't adjust fuel and timming based on speed. My engine would get completely boogered up once I swap gears/sprockets.

Back