Is it wrong not to use the Clutch ???

I only use the clutch to stop and start for over 600k miles without ever having a problem. Oh, wait, that is in a Freightliner, never mind. :whistle:

I don't know how true it is.. but considering the horsepower we are dealing with... my mechanic said that the transmission in the Busa was pretty much bulletproof.... I dont clutch unless I really am in an RPM curve that wouldn't be a good no-clutch choice. Ive geared in other bikes that way and it seems the Busa is even more accepting of it... hope that helps...
OH.. and since I'm female I did read the instructions :p even the manual says you can gear without a clutch...
Happy Riding and just don't out run Santa :)

Not a problem. Do a trackday class session and they will teach you it is the way to ride. Use clutchless shifts after your in 2nd gear, do not use clutchless shifting on the 1-2 gear change or downshifts.

Now you have me curious. Why not use a clutchless shift from 1 to 2?

There is a reason they put clutches on cars and m/c's... no problem if you are a racer, as you can rebuild between races. For daily riding.. use the damn clutch!

Not a problem. Do a trackday class session and they will teach you it is the way to ride. Use clutchless shifts after your in 2nd gear, do not use clutchless shifting on the 1-2 gear change or downshifts.

Why not on 1->2 shift?

id say its ok for a wet clutch..i wouldnt try it on a dry one like a ducati or husqvarna

btw i do this at the drag strip all the time..no problems and 30k miles

have to disagree, dry vs wet clutch wouldn't matter, as you're NOT USING IT.:laugh:

There is a reason they put clutches on cars and m/c's... no problem if you are a racer, as you can rebuild between races. For daily riding.. use the damn clutch!

think about it guys, the gears are straight cut instead of helical cut, they're meant to be shifted without the clutch.

Last edited:
Why not on 1->2 shift?

It is possible but the 1-2 is a longer distance to cover because it passes over the neutral and it is easy to mess up on the 1-2 clutchless shift.

These bikes have a history of 2nd gear going bad over time. So if you get into a few bad 1-2 clutchless shifts your getting closer to that dreaded 2nd gear problem.

I just choose to clutch the 1-2 and clutchless the rest of the way up.

It is possible but the 1-2 is a longer distance to cover because it passes over the neutral and it is easy to mess up on the 1-2 clutchless shift.

These bikes have a history of 2nd gear going bad over time. So if you get into a few bad 1-2 clutchless shifts your getting closer to that dreaded 2nd gear problem.

I just choose to clutch the 1-2 and clutchless the rest of the way up.

OK. Thanks.

Maybe they only meant for us to use the clutch for downshifting? :rofl:

Actually, Zuke seems to have put a lot of work into building a hydraulic clutch to make it easy to use. Must be there for something besides finding neutral.

you say that like its common sense but I have no clue what your talking about?:rofl:

straight cut gears:
cikk286_tolokerekesvalto.jpg

helical cut gears, notice the slant, how they mesh together?
gear-helical1.jpg

straight cut gears can be shifted without a clutch, they simply slip together when load is removed. they have more clearance, and tend to stay lubricated better than helical cut gears. these are the reasons they're used in racing transmissions, it's also why they whine.

helical cut gears are up to 30% stronger (that's right) because there is more material meshing together, however, they don't like to shift without a clutch. and they have a tendency to heat up under heavy heavy use, but they don't whine. clear as mud? go ahead, ask me about turbine efficiency...

helical cut gears are up to 30% stronger (that's right) because there is more material meshing together, however, they don't like to shift without a clutch. and they have a tendency to heat up under heavy heavy use, but they don't whine. clear as mud? go ahead, ask me about turbine efficiency...[/QUOTE]

What about turbine efficiency?

This is all the manual has. I think the part about what to do if you drink your brake fluid instead of your beer is probably more important. :laugh:

clutch.jpg

Hey you guys, thanks for all the replies to my question.

Glad to see that so many people use the same technique.

I will continue to upshift from second gear on with no clutch !!!

... and Ill continue to feel good about it. lol

The cut of the gear shouldnt have anything to do with shifting since you are not moving the gears. When you shift you are moving the dog rings and sliders. The gears are constantly meshing and therefore not moving around. Gearing, shift throw and synchros make for a clutchless shift.

so do you want to start with compressor mapping, or volumetric efficiency? i really think a foundation in the latter is important before you go into the former:moon:

Did this all the time in a half ton truck I owned and once on accident on the bike. Guess it's about to become the new normal.

Back