OK fellas, shifting, use clutch or no?

ogre

Call me Liberace!
Registered
I'm sure this topic has been absolutely beat to death, I have nothing specific to add, I use the clutch to leave from a stop, and that's pretty much it. Lightly roll off the throttle, kick it up into the next gear, back on the throttle. Now I've got a quickshifter, and it's even easier. Why do some folks use the clutch to go through the gears? Motorcycle transmissions have straight cut gears, you absolutely don't need to use the clutch. Change my mind.

I use the clutch the way it was intended to be used. Using the clutch or not using the clutch seems to only be a personal thing and I personally would not put any effort into changing your mind.

I have a speed shifter too but have it disconnected, I'm not using my bike for any purpose which the speed shifter does anything.

I use the clutch the way it was intended to be used. Using the clutch or not using the clutch seems to only be a personal thing and I personally would not put any effort into changing your mind.

I have a speed shifter too but have it disconnected, I'm not using my bike for any purpose which the speed shifter does anything.
it makes lazy riding better too, just set a reasonable throttle position and kick your way through the gears.

I've been clutchless up-shifting for years . . no issues at all.
My mate saw me doing it in a video I recorded of a ride, and he gave me sh*t about it , I just laughed and told him to try it someday, he may just enjoy it.
He's convinced it's hard on the gears, but we all know it's fine.
I NEVER downshift without the clutch,

I'm just so in the habit of using a clutch I would have to train myself and it would still feel weird...
I was the same way until I jus tried it one day and it felt so natural... I never went back to the clutch

For downshifting, I jus preload the shift linkage, let off the throttle, and let the motor find the sweet spot for rpm to allow the gear to slip in, usually its perfect, no high revs, jus smooth firm sure footed engagement...I get great engine braking that way also, never had any problems....

And to add to that downshifting technique I use

Its never from a wot run, ONLY cruising speeds

If I'm slowing from a wot run, I make sure its in the lower Rpms, say 4k or lower, again cruising, else downshift with clutch

Red bull???

Why the sad face mate???

Back