No clutch shifting ?

If not done absolutely perfectly every time, you'll bend shift forks or round dogs off the gears.

Really? I only use the clutch for first gear, and when downshifting. Other than that, upshifts are all done clutchless, and it seems to shift much smoother this way. If I'm messing it up, I'll stop.

<!--EDIT|JDookie
Reason for Edit: None given...|1142974297 -->

I have never used the clutch on any bike I have ever had except for starting and down shifting. I have never had a problem. But everyone has a different opinion on this. So my advice is listen to all the comments and make your own decision from there.
smile.gif

Geeez ......U guys own the bike a good amount of time ? I'd love to see what the gear clusters look like after several thousand miles .
wow.gif

I have near 30k on my 03 and most is clutchless, still seems fine. probably not as good on the tranny, but sure is fun and more efficient on many occasions. it is something you can get good at. often, it's smoother than clutching

Geeez ......U guys own the bike a good amount of time ? I'd love to see what the gear clusters look like after several thousand miles .
wow.gif
Most big trucks only use the clutch to start, and they last over a million miles
smile.gif

It just has to be done correctly, that's all.

I NEVER use the clutch except for first and downshifing. Not bad for the trans in my opinion, It's all knowing when to shift. I've got my throttle control down enough to the point I can clutchless downshift... causes some people to look at me wierd sometimes
tounge.gif
It's kinda funny...

Proven experience with a 3-speed jeep of mine in the mud ....pushing it clutchless ...main gears are rounded off pretty good . Eventually tranny would start popping outta gear under heavy load . Shift forks wore out prematurely also .

Maybe things are different with the bike ? Who knows for sure .
tounge.gif

Geeez ......U guys own the bike a good amount of time ?  I'd love to see what the gear clusters look like after several thousand miles .  
wow.gif
Most big trucks only use the clutch to start, and they last over a million miles
smile.gif

It just has to be done correctly, that's all.
If done correctly, no problem. If not done correctly, you'll trash the transmission. It only take one missed cluchless shift to end up having the bike in the shop. If you don't totally unload the pressure on the transmission with the throttle, even if it shifts ok, you'll cause problems over a few thousand miles. The Busa is an expensive bike to learn this on is you don't already have the skills.

Up shifting clutchless is very easy. The trick is not to put lots of muscle onto the shift lever. The only thing your clutch does is to unload the tranny so you can shift. You can do the same with the clutch and not hurt the tranny at all. It's when you are hammering the tranny at WOT that you get into trouble. An air shifter will shift without the clutch. All it does is momentarily kill the engine so the tranny is unloaded. If you are hammering on the shifter, even if you are using your clutch, you can easily bend the forks.

Proven experience with a 3-speed jeep of mine in the mud ....pushing it clutchless ...main gears are rounded off pretty good . Eventually tranny would start popping outta gear under heavy load . Shift forks wore out prematurely also .

Maybe things are different with the bike ?  Who knows for sure .  

tounge.gif
Standard style on cars as opposed to Sequential on bikes... You won't hurt it unless you REALLY mess up... the only one it would be easy to mess up a shift with is the 1-2 shift, and that's cause it's really 1-n-2, which might cause the gear to slow a bit and snag... otherwise, it's one gear directly to the other, no inbetween.

The way I "speedshift" is I preload the shifter, and release the throttle JUST to the point that you can feel the transmission free up (so there's no load on the gear), at that point, the shift automatically happens.
smile.gif

Up shifting clutchless is very easy. The trick is not to put lots of muscle onto the shift lever. The only thing your clutch does is to unload the tranny so you can shift. You can do the same with the clutch and not hurt the tranny at all. It's when you are hammering the tranny at WOT that you get into trouble. An air shifter  will shift without the clutch. All it does is momentarily kill the engine so the tranny is unloaded. If you are hammering on the shifter, even if you are using your clutch, you can easily bend the forks.
Easier way of explaining what I said.

tounge.gif
Standard style on cars as opposed to Sequential on bikes...
It's in the technique. I can shift a standard transmission in a car without the clutch. Same principle, a bit less forgiving with the auto.

tounge.gif
Standard style on cars as opposed to Sequential on bikes...
It's in the technique.  I can shift a standard transmission in a car without the clutch.  Same principle, a bit less forgiving with the auto.
yep... I remember kids saying they could "speedshift" their cars (they just clutchless shift) they would claim it was a faster shift... for a car, no... for a bike, yes, quicker and smoother.

damn!....I use it to get roll'in from a dead stop and for down-shifting but...ya'll mean to tell me I'm spos'ed to use the clutch all the freaking time?
tounge.gif
laugh.gif

Back