Is it wrong not to use the Clutch ???

OrlandoFlBusa

Registered
I have been getting lazy lately.

Instead of using the clutch I will just let the RPMs get just right, flick the throttle and shift with my foot to go to third, fourth, and fifth.

Not using the clutch, and it just seems so right. lol

Am I doing any damage or is it all good ? I dont do it all the time, but have been doing it more and more lately.

It actually feels smoother shifting this way.

Not a problem. Do a trackday class session and they will teach you it is the way to ride. Use clutchless shifts after your in 2nd gear, do not use clutchless shifting on the 1-2 gear change or downshifts.

i dont think it messes it up...

I put over 10,000 miles on my aprilia rs50 6 speed, going all up and down the gears to get to the screaming 70mph! and nothing broke or warn down...

at full boogie I've been shifting clutchless for years and have never had any trans problems ever. Glad I don't ride a Husqvarna.

lol, true dat. clutchless here, no issues. the gearbox is meant to be shifted clutchless.

I do both. Always clutch 1st to 2nd, never clutch 5th to 6th, and always use the clutch downshifting. Lot of the time, use the clutch shifting both ways.

Part of the time, I upshift without the clutch. Much smoother. Did it all the time on my MX bike. Never had any problems with the gearbox.

id say its ok for a wet clutch..i wouldnt try it on a dry one like a ducati or husqvarna

btw i do this at the drag strip all the time..no problems and 30k miles

I don't use the clutch on any upshifts if I'm gassing it. If I'm driving normal city traffic it wont upshift cleanly. But, give it some gas and let up, she will shift cleanly and smoothly. I always use the clutch in downshifting. I learned it from this board. It works great!

Clutchless through 3 bikes and not a problem except for the dreaded 2nd gear problem on the 99 zx11

I use the clutch for the 1-2 shift and downshifting. Just preload the shift lever with a couple of pounds of force, then back off the gas for a fraction of a second. The bike will slip right into gear when you let off the gas. You don't even have to close the throttle much...just enough to unload the transmission.

Back