Is it just me

I am not rich, but I do pretty well and money wasn't really an object when I looked at streetbikes (I had been a dirtbiker/MX racer for over 20 years at that point). All my friends had Harleys, and I did give them some serious consideration. I borrowed an 03 Softail nighttrain from a friend for about a week - put probably 1000 miles on it.

It was ok - comfortable but lethargicall slow - I guarantee my KTM 525 dirtbike would have smoked it to 70. Everywhere I went people that I consider to know nothing about bikes or riding would comment on all the pretty chrome (yeah - my buddy chromed out his nighttrain - lol). It was just a status symbol and was sorta cool when everyone was staring at it. Then one day I'm out on this straight, smooth, uninhabited road and all I could think was "wouldn't it be nice to actually feel some horsepower."

I went and test rode a CBR954RR (decent bike for what it was) the next day. Bought it on the spot - no regrets.

All my Harley friends freaked out - why did I do this? What's wrong with me? You are going to lose so much money. WTF? The thing only cost $10k so it isn't THAT much money anyway. If I wanted an investment I'd buy gold coins - if I want a smooth, reliable, comfortable ride that will also scare the bejeezus out of me if I want it to I'll buy a "ricer".

Ah......I'm sorry what was question?
all_coholic.gif

Always remember each to his own. Also I think Dads become grumpier in their elder years.

There's no reasoning with the HD crowd. Very few see the light and can accept that there is a whole world of motorcycles out there.

Most HD'ers are stuck in the one way lane. It must suck to spend your whole life on one style/type of cycle.  I myself was a big HD guy up till 7-8 years ago. Mainly it was from the crowd i hung around. I started to listen carefully to what they said and why they wouldn't own a sportbike. Basicly it came down to them not having self control. Well, after a few years i realized i needed to check out these "death machines" for myself first hand.  I went to the dealer with an open mind to not compare any of the import machines to HD's.  

That's when i saw a leftover new Yamaha FZR1000 for the first time. I sat on it and was hooked, the beautiful full fairing body, the power, what a sexy machine.
While walking out i spotted a brochure for the then to be released 99' Busa.  The arrival date was a few months away. I was hooked and i wanted one.

I later went back over to the HD dealer and found that the same HD bikes that had my fancy a day or so earlier, no longer held much merit in my eyes.  That was the day i became...... a sportbiker, yet i had never ridden one.

The next few months slowly crept by. I stayed away for a week or so but then started going to Coleman's in Woodbridge day after day to see the new Busa.  The more i heard the "love it or hate it" comments, the more i wanted that bike.
I wanted a 99' Copper/Silver.  The new Busa finally arrived and i sat on it. Though at the time i could not afford it, i vowed to own a Busa one day and in early 04' i got mine. I am a Busa owner.
bowdown.gif
super.gif

Back