Is it just me

CrashBomb

Registered
Before I get on my soapbox I'd like to make it clear that due to consuming more than my share of a bottle of good single malt Scotch this is going to be generally opinionated and leaning toward an angry rant. I refuse to pepper things I'm writing with a bunch of annoying acronyms like IMHO or FWIW, YMMV, FGHQT, AMXBTZFFROGMTYP, I'm writing it...of course it's my opinion, deal with it.

Over the last day or two I've been discussing my winter rebuild plans for my bike with my dad. On more than one occasion he's said several things to the tune of, "It's stupid to spend that much money on *that kind* of bike."

At this point I should address several points. My father is 66 years old and of course he's completely dead set in his ways. He's spent his entire life in the saddle of a motorcycle of some sort. Dirt...street...everything, he's done it all and he's owned everything from old Honda 350Fours to his current ride...which will become clear in a moment. In spite of his vast experience he knows absolutely NOTHING (with a capital NO and also a capital THING) about sportbikes.

So after hearing things like, "well...it's your money, do what you want," I finally asked him exactly why he thought that spending any established amount of money on a specific bike was a waste. His response? "You'd never get that kind of money back if you sold it. Those kinds of bikes don't hold their value. They're not like a Harley."

I don't play favorites, I ride what I like and don't give a damn what anyone else thinks. I love both of my Harleys and wouldn't trade either of them for anything. But I seem to be one of the few who can accept them for what they are...namely NOT the greatest motorcycle in the known universe and all points beyond.

When I bought my Sportsters I knew and accepted the fact that they aren't fast, they ride and handle like an upside down pick up truck, and they (at least the ones of the generation I own) are hell to keep running. I don't let these things bother me as they are simply the price you pay to play your particular game of choice. Just like my Ducati, in my mind it's just about the most beautiful motorcycle ever created, and getting to be part of of that experience is worth the cost admission whether that cost is HD's laughable performance or Ducati's hellacious six thousand mile service intervals.

Why do the die hard HD guys not understand these things? It doesn't matter how many times you explain the world beyond their eyes to them, they just call anything that's not a Harley a wussy bike and then stick their fingers in their ears and go LALALALALALALA.

To someone as intelligent and worldly as my father I would think this simple concept would be easy to grasp. As a matter of fact he's only had a Harley for about the last ten years, before that he rode everything under the sun and loved every minute of it. It's like it's taken the Harley Davidson Motor Corp. less than a decade to completely poison his mind.

And they don't hold their value better than anything else, they're just so initially overpriced that they depreciate on a totally different and longer downward curve than other bikes. On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero. (You'll realize where that quote came from in a minute, just think about it. I didn't realize it at first either but then it dawned on me.)

I don't buy bikes as an investment anyway. I buy bikes because, much like my father, motorcycle and motorcycling have been a driving force in my life and will continue to be for as long as life permits. I ride what I like and buy for personal pleasure rather than intent to profit by reselling.

I'm just sick of the attitude. This is why I ride alone.

That is all. Good night...and good luck.

If it's your money, spend it how you like. And I never buy (or modify) anything for its resale value ... I do it for me. If you want his approval, sounds like you need to sell everything but the Harleys and spend all your money on chrome.

As for resale, I've heard that too, from my old Ducati dealer. But the reason why the Japanese bikes don't hold their value as well is because they update their technology every year ... so last year's bike isn't as light, as powerful, handles and stops a little slower, and doesn't have the newest bodywork. Unlike, say, Harley, where the style and performance are updated maybe every 5-10 years.

Stick with what you like, and be happy with it
cool.gif

I agree with ya. It's your bike and money. Do whatcha like, when ya like
I don't worry about popular opinion either. shoot for your happiness bro

Harley = Harley Ridden, Usually Pushed. It is solely my opinion That Harleys retain value through low mileage. That comes from the excessive amounts of "Down" time they incure. I have a co-worker who Sometimes rides his Heritage. He litterally has spent enough money on his bike just to keep it running, to purchase my bike twice over. Sure there are some really sweet looking rides, just I see the the maintance really ofsets the "True" value of the Harley.

Well I rode with a bunch of HD riders this weekend on a toy ride and actually got a comment from one of them stating he wouldn't be able to keep up with me if I lead the ride. No one made any negative comments to me about the sport bike I was surprised and expected to hear something.

i had a harley davidson vrod i bought it new, put around 24000 in it keep it one year sold it for 17500. it did not keep its value either. my brother in law had a fatboy, put over 31000 in it keep it one year sold it for 24000. he recouped some but lost his butt the same as me. my point is no bike keeps the value of the mods added to it. i have around 13 to 14 in this hayabusa, i would be lucky to get 9000 for it and its just 6 monts old. and i will keep doing mods. we got to spend money on something cause we aint taking it with us.

I say if you have the money to play with then go for it.

I say find a long strait road, slap him in the saddle, and say don't come back untill you've cracked 170mph!!!
wow.gif
If he takes your challenge, he will have an adrenline rush like he hasn't felt in decades. Then maybe he will "see the light".

Plan B: Show him what the HD's are selling for on ebay. If he thinks he has a 30k dollar HD with all the chrome, show him that ebay sells them all day long for 17k $.

(CrashBomb @ Nov. 19 2006,03:06) You'd never get that kind of money back if you sold it.
I had someone loosely tell me that a while back at a gas station. He too was on a Harley. I looked at him and asked him "what the f--k makes you think I'm going to sell it".

He didn't bother saying anything else.

My dad has the same thought process on bikes. He says that one day "I'll grow up and get a gentlemans bike" No matter how much i explain about HD he won't listen. He's not a rider by any means.

I think it's a generational thing plus some HD riders/lovers just do not understand the current technologies. They think they are hauling a$$ while doing 100 mph on the highway. They just don't get it. Heck, my V-twin Nomad has water cooled technology. HD guys just don't want to accept new designs, hence the failure of acceptance from hard-core HD people. That V-rod, for what it is, is far advanced than the "regular" HD.

IT'S YOUR 'DAD'! What do you expect? He's just a faulty human like the rest of us. I know, I know.... as kids they are our Gods, but in reality, they are just goofy people trying to live some kinda non-regrettable life.

Wanna start and interesting conversation with him, tell him what you are doing is something you always wanted to do before you die... then ask him if he has done everything he's wanted to before leaving the earth. No seriously!

(Rhythm @ Nov. 19 2006,09:27) I say if you have the money to play with then go for it.
+1 its your money ,your job , your bike ,your life ,your desires , your business ....... do what you want , if you are the one putting the $$$$ down everyone else can kiss the ole' browneye, if you like it thats all that matters its called individuality...... if it wasnt for that we would all be riding the same thing, thank god we dont ok we do for the most part but mine dont look like yours and yours dont look like mine and you know what they are both the coolest bikes in the world to "US"

I have no problem with my son doing mods to his busa. Us dads are not all brain dead.
biggrin.gif

(GSXcite @ Nov. 19 2006,21:37) I have no problem with my son doing mods to his busa. Us dads are not all brain dead.
biggrin.gif
thats not true ,according to my 23yro were all out of touch ,out of money ,out of reality and brain dead ......................................................................
he loves me though .

I think you expressed it best yourself in your last paragraph. Your father makes a point about not getting your money back out of the bike, but if you are not selling it and want to do the work, do it. But, on the other hand, a Busa hold it's value better than most sportsbikes, especially souped up ones.

I think I have more to say than anyone here. If you do not know I am 21 and have a 2006 busa, I go to a Harley Davidson technician training center that will eventually lead me to finish up with a major in business and during that process learn everything there is to know about bikes, cruiser and sportbike.

Now to get to the point. OH MY GOD, there are 3 people out of 200 or so that have sportbikes one being the electrical instructor. I would have to say that a majority of the people, about 95% are die hard HD fanatics, They believe that HD bikes are gods gift to man kind. the three bikes are my busa, a trashed out R1 that a kid does not take care of, and a zx12 that my instructor has. and i have to say the busa is glorious. But i do compliment and like harleys, they do have their own unique style and sound that is incredible.

I get responses from everyone that ranges from.

1. HD's are so much better made than those Jap bikes
2. Why dont you sell that rice burner and get a Harley
3. Why dont you get a mans bike
4. My bike pushes 105 horse, and 93lbs torque. (usually from guys that know nothing about Sportbikes)
5. Those crotch rockets are so cheap, I mean look the body, it is made out of plastic.
6. I will not work on that bike, they are not worth it.

My responses

1. Actually, sportbikes are made just as well if not better than Harleys with advancing technology. My bike needs to be functional and stable at speeds up to 200mph. Try not to be upset that you spend 2 times more on yours than I did mine.

2. I prefer the agressive riding style of sportbikes. I used to race in motocross so I am more comfortable being in a position that I feel i can control. If you look at MX races or any type of motorcycle race that involves tight manuevering or fast reaction times, you will notice that riders are up front on the bike, leaning over putting more weight on the front end. It is all control, and with stupid cagers out there, even worse in this college town, i need to be alert. I also like the performance of it, Once you realize what it feels like to go a 1/4 mile in 10 seconds or less, and reach speeds up to 200 mph, you will not know what i am talking about. crusiers are not my style.

3. That is a dumb question. define, a mans bike. it is a different description for everyone, but i bet you are thinking a mans bike is loud, fast, and is beautiful and looks incredible. if you are thinking that then there is no difference between mine and yours. except that i paid 10 grand less than you and that i respect peoples decision on their riding style. i will ride with anyone, i ride motorcycles. i dont care what people have, i am happy they have two wheels to ride on.

4. Wow thats pretty good, have you done any mods to it. (their response is, yeah k&n, vance & hines, big bore..etc. why?) that pretty darn good for a harley, (yeah i bet you wish you could get those numbers) mmmmk, you really know nothing do you, you just spend probably 5 grand on those mods, i bought mine stock and off the floor i push 98.3lbs torque and 151 rwhp. and i paid 10 grand less than you. oh yeah, you think it is exciting that you can go 130, i hit 180 all the time.

5. yeah the sides are made out of plastic, but with high speed, you need air flow, aerodynamics, weight reduction. that plasitic helps me ride smoother. my bike is made just as well as yours, you say its cheap. your bike is made for the same price as mine. except you paid 10 grand more for a logo. Harleys are even in service more than they are riden, so i would stop talking if i were you.

6. these bikes are made to perform, they have such specific tolerances, and tuning requirements that if you learned how to work on these a harley would be a walk in the park. if harley made a new bike and they had two choices, either work on the engine and make it better or throw more chrome on and make it sound better, they would go after the second. they think if the engine runs it doesnt need work. so get off your high horse.

there are others but i am tired and cant think of them.

my dad even rides a harley and everytime he walks by mine he says its a sharp looking bike. he has a road king and i love riding with him cause he just loves to ride.

if i missed something or something is confusing let me know. i am half asleep.

my dad has rode his whole life here and there, dirt and street, and has spent his fair share of time in the hospital from it, while he didn't like me getting a bike the likes of the Busa, he never once argued the point in fact he was the one who wanted to see it first when I got back with it, My Mom didn't like it either but when she saw it instead of giving me crap she just said at least you got the right colors, blue and silver she is a Cowboys fan pretty cool parents they rock
super.gif

(CrashBomb @ Nov. 19 2006,02:06) I don't buy bikes as an investment anyway. I buy bikes because, much like my father, motorcycle and motorcycling have been a driving force in my life and will continue to be for as long as life permits. I ride what I like and buy for personal pleasure rather than intent to profit by reselling.
That's my feeling on this subjuect as well. I ride for the thrill and freedom, and to this day nothing has matched the Busa. There are much investments, fiscally speaking, than motorcycles, of any make.

Back