is a bike ever the same after it has been wrecked?

BusaHaya402

Registered
just curious to see what ya'll think.........if you get into a serious accident and your bike has major damage, is it worth it to rebuild it? i personally think i would give the bike to insurance, or part it out, then go buy a brand new one, i dont think they can ever be the same again, something is always slightly off.........opinions and comments welcome............

After a serious accident....

for me the bike will never be the same, kinda hard to trust it after being all bent up.

probably all in my head, if its complteley repaired it should be as good, but I still wouldn't trust it as if it were new.

Personally I wouldn't ride a bike that has been in a major crash, no matter how well it was fixed. Something about that slight chance of a weak weld, or the structure of the metal changing from being bent and heated. Just my personal opinion, but Im not risking my @ss on someone's fix it project. I did have a 94 YZ250, that had the frame modded to accept 96 and newer plastics, and the frame was shortened and welded. Yah I had the welds inspected, and was told the welds were most likely stronger than the factory welds, but I always got a little nervous landing a 20 footer. Needless to say I sold the bike and made the new buyer aware of the frame mod, and he didnt seem to mind. Bending a sub frame and replacing was no biggie, just changed out a part, but when it comes down to the frame its self I would error on the side of caution. Especially on a Busa, wouldnt want to find out someone took a shortcut, had a bad day when fixing the bike, or any other factor that might give me a death wobble at speed.
wow.gif

Not sure I could ever get back on her again. Not only wondering what may still be wrong with it, but bad karma.

Depends on the kinda crash you are refering to.

If the crash was bad enough to bend like the Frame, forks, subframe, swing arm. Then no i would say umm time for new bike

But my bike has been down a couple of times worst damage one time was stator cover had a hole in it. upper fairing stay got tweaked and the plastic was scratched up

Then this last time i broke the clutch and crank case covers at the drag strip and bent the upper fairing stay again and i fixed it and have no worries about my bike

My turbo bike was a bike i bought wrecked all the plastic was trashed even the headlight and one of the handle bars. But everyhing else was in pefect alignment and ive fixed it and have no issues or worries

I would either replace all the damaged parts, frame etc. etc. or get a new bike
wink.gif

don't know yet...still rebuilding mine. I'll right a report as soon as I get back in the saddle.
wink.gif

Major damage no way...To much could be hidden...Buy back and part out would be the route to take...

don't know yet...still rebuilding mine. I'll right a report as soon as I get back in the saddle.
wink.gif
Back..?? You're never out of it Pacman..
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
Heheh....how I wish it was so!

I had a chance to ride last week Sunday...I was soooo looking forward to it. A friend of mine was gonna let me borrow his bike (a busa nonetheless!!!), but as soon as he came back from a warm-up ride, the battery crapped out.

I never felt so heartbroken in my life.
sad.gif
Well, except for the time after my crash.

biggrin.gif

If the crash is major... its always good to go in for a new bike!! thats the best bet
smile.gif

Well I might be wrong but I dont think you can bend an aluminum frame without it cracking....everthing else
can be checked out for straightness.

Id ride a previously wrecked bike as long as I was comfortable that the frame is sound.

Depends on the kinda crash you are refering to.

If the crash was bad enough to bend like the Frame, forks, subframe, swing arm. Then no i would say umm time for new bike

But my bike has been down a couple of times worst damage one time was stator cover had a hole in it. upper fairing stay got tweaked and the plastic was scratched up

Then this last time i broke the clutch and crank case covers at the drag strip and bent the upper fairing stay again and i fixed it and have no worries about my bike

My turbo bike was a bike i bought wrecked all the plastic was trashed even the headlight and one of the handle bars. But everyhing else was in pefect alignment and ive fixed it and have no issues or worries
dont forget the bichin grass wheel weights it came with!!
laugh.gif

Back