Buying Back A Salvaged Bike

SIGSAUER

Registered
OK ,so I posted this thread about my bike accident: https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/acci...rst-accident-several-pictures-scene-gear.html Several pictures in it which might help some of you to give me some advice.

The dealer said the damage is cosmetic but due to overall repair cost to value of the bike the insurance wants to total it. The damage is all the front fairings, headlight, magneto cover, brake lever, and some scrapes on the left exhaust.

They are offering me the bike back for $1300.00 which seems like a good deal. I have to submit my aftermarket receipts to see how much additional I will get for the total value and I'm not sure if they will subtract these if I buy the bike back. I should know more by early next week.

Right now the overall cost that they are giving me isn't as high as I would have liked but it's not unfair either.

Now if I buy the bike back I'm thinking I could sell the aftermarket parts pretty easy but I'm curious what you all think I could get for it with stock exhaust in it's current damaged form and stock parts put back on it. Someone could track it pretty easy with just plastics, new brake lever, and a magneto cover. I have the OEM windscreen to put back on it. Oh there is also a tiny dent in the tank.

Just curious what you guys think I should do. I think I could profit more by buying and selling the bike but I would have to wait longer to replace it and I'd really like to get back on the road preferably on a 08 Hayabusa.

Any help with my decision would be appreciated.

What are they going to give you for your bike? That doesn't look like too bad of a fix. Might need a couple fairing stays two fairings. The cover still holds oil I wouldn't worry about it too much. You should be able to get just the pipe. See what they give you and maybe fix this one and sell it? You will probably end up further ahead..........

They said the forks are fine and there is no frame damage. This would have to be a buy and take your chances though if I didn't fix it to test myself.

The magneto cover was ground through so it would need to be replaced.

I'm actually thinking I'd like to make a quick profit and see if I can sell it as is so that I could replace it ASAP.

If I were to remove all the aftermarket parts and replace the old ones, would $2500.00 be a fair price to ask in it's current condition?

Parts to go with it would be an additonal set of OEM rearsets almost new
Stock Windscreen
Rear Seat Cowl and Grab Rail

I'm also thinking that I could sell as is with the aftermarket parts for $3500.00

Included after market parts would be:

Givi Hard Case with Top mount rack
Gear Indicator with accessory harness by Smith
Throttlemeister small marks on left bar end
Tobin Seat
M4 Exhaust small mark and dent on left exhaust near tip
Bagster Tank Cover and bag
Galfer SS Braided front lines + 2" inew in box

So what do you guys think are these fair prices that would move the bike quickly without fixing it up?

If I did get some front plastics and fix it up for the track what would be fair?

Last edited:
i would lift the tank and remove the side fairings. Check the neck welds real good, i would even go to napa and get a aluminum crack dye. It is a dye that you put on frames and use a ultraviolet light to check for cracks. You might be suprised at what you find. If you need help putting it back together lemme know, wouldnt be the first crash i fixed :)

I would definitely pull the fairings. It's amazing what you can find underneath.

if the motor is good? grab it $1300 is nothing.. I think motors start at $2000 and go as much as $3500? (you may want to check this) that makes any other parts pure profit..

If its ridable, confirm the notion that it is cosemetic damage by pregressively testing the braking acceleration and cornering. If it feels normal it more than likely is...

Also, I would do as recommended above and give it a good overall inspection for visual damage before you do ride testing!

If you planning on selling the bike,you might want to check the local salvage laws. They might make it hard to sell. Insurance company's frown on salvaged title for the most part too.

Seems like you could make the money back parting it out at least.

you could and probably would make more parting it out but then you get to deal with strange people coming to your house. $1300.00 is a pretty good buyback for a bike you check out this link or salavage bikes and cars and whatever they are pretty much all over the country just to give you an idea Copart as to if your getting a good deal on the buyback or not. If you want a salvage bid run to verify they aren't screwin you let me know. I can do that stuff :laugh:

if the motor is good? grab it $1300 is nothing.. I think motors start at $2000 and go as much as $3500? (you may want to check this) that makes any other parts pure profit..

Yeah I was thinking the same thing about just turning my profit real quick on the engine.

If it aint hurt,$1300 would make a cheap drag bike:laugh:

I thought the same thing except track bike but then I'd actually be delaying my next bike purchase longer which I don't want to do.

The notion of dealing with tons of people to sell and especially parting it out doesn't sounds appealing to me either. I've been lucky with my 3 other bikes I sold it was usually the first buyers that took them. Not sure I'd be so lucky with this one.

I'd be really suprised if there is frame damage at that speed. The fairings are off it now and from I can tell it looks perfect underneath.

Bluehaya,
I'm in N. Nevada by Reno

This decision is driving me nutty as I need to have an answer before the weekends over. The easiest quickest route would be letting them keep it. Financially though I'd be ahead if I bought it back but I don't know if I want to delay my next bike purchase especially since the weather is going to change soon.

Last edited:
buy it back.
part it out, sell the mods and OEM parts.

you still havent shown their offer, but if its atleast a good 70% of what you bought it for i'd take it and buy back, just to part out.

alot of that stuff goes for a lot, thats all extra cash in YOUR pocket at the end of the strip and sell session. Like they were saying, the engine alone can go for in excess of 2 grand.
I would definitely take a totaled bike over a lemon- once you have dumped once it never feels the same, even the smallest falls can cause it.

take the blue book, buy your bike back, part it out and sell it. soooooo worth it.

Appreciate everyone's help.

I think I've made of my mind. I'm going to buy it back as long as they don't try to subtract the aftermarket parts from the value after they advise what they are giving for the extra parts on the bike.

I figure just selling my aftermarket parts alone will net me the bikes value for what they are trying to sell it to me for and then I can decide what I will do with it from there.

Thanks

Appreciate everyone's help.

I think I've made up my mind. I'm going to buy it back as long as they don't try to subtract the aftermarket parts from the value after they advise what they are giving for the extra parts on the bike.

I figure just selling my aftermarket parts alone will net me the bikes value for what they are trying to sell it to me for and then I can decide what I will do with it from there.

Thanks

they should give you the full value because most of the parts replace factory stuff that is needed for the bikes operation and in more or less a factory location.

they should give you the full value because most of the parts replace factory stuff that is needed for the bikes operation and in more or less a factory location.

I agree unfortunately I only have about 1/2 to 3/4 of the receipts for the stuff on the bike. I'm going to fax them copies of what the other stuff cost so I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed. They will also cover my helmet but the lady I spoke to said she would have to verify that they will cover the gloves.

So far the adjusters and everyone I have spoke to at State Farm have been very courteous and professional. I'm just hoping that it stays that way when they decide to write me a check.

Back