What would you do?

Got-Busa?

Donating Member
Registered
Reference my bike damage in this thread, what would you do?

I am 23 with a perfect record and NO claims "ever" on my insurance.  

Would you turn it into your insurance and have them pay; or would you just say screw it and pay for it out of your pocket?

I am trying to keep my insurance as cheap as possible and am thinking this will wreck my rates.  Does anyone know what my insurance will do since it wasn't my fault?  It would be the same as a rock breaking your car window, right!?!?  

File a claim or pay cash?
rock.gif

I estimate around $600-800 bucks worth of damage.

Josh
pirate.gif

<!--EDIT|Got-Busa?
Reason for Edit: None given...|1081198142 -->

Even if it's not your fault, my bet is on the rates going up...
mad.gif

If it were me, I'd just pay out-of-pocket and fix it yourself...

I dropped my Busa; my own fault...I probably could have submitted a claim and had insurance pay, but I figured the rates would just go up, so I opted to fix it myself...

IMHO...good luck...
smile.gif

Call your insurance and just ask a general ? about if it was not your fault will it raise my rates?

How much is your deductible it may be almost as much as the repair.

I had my VFR hit or drop while I was on vacation broke the plastics on one side but never found out who did it. I went through my insurance they said if it is not you fault than it does not raise you rates. I just had to pay the deductible and they took care of the rest.

I don't believe insurance companies that say accidents that are not your fault won't raise your rates. I think I would pay for it myself and leave the insurance company out of it.

I am under the impression that any accident where your incurance co pays, will raise your rates. If you hit something in the road (especially while passing) they will probably say it's your fault. If it is State Farm, they give you one freebie before raising your rates. 6-800, I vote for pay it yourself.

Good luck!

i agree that if you hit something and have insurance pay it they are going to raise your rates. In my situation the damage was cause by someone else so I was not at fault. That is the difference FAULT tell them that what hit you came off a truck on the frwy. I would get an estimate, I was suprised how much the repair came to almost $3000 for some broken fairings and a damaged muffler.

Whether it was your fault or not is irrelevant to your insurance company, unless someone else is responsible and you have their information. Some insurance companies do not change your rates for any comprehensive claim under $1000 and it is your only claim in a year. I say let insurance take care of it, that's what you pay them for. If they want to ball bust you over your first claim ever and under a $1000, then you will know to go looking elsewhere. This is important because if you do ever truly need them and they can't treat you properly on a small claim, what makes you think they will on a large one?
rock.gif

Why not call your insurance company and talk to someone there. I know at USAA Generally speaking they don't jack if if it's not your fault, that's why I am paying comprehensive... But your results may vary but it's still a question i would just ask the inurance company. They might surprise you.

I still would check with the insuance. If they say it will change your rates than fix it yourself if not let them pay for it. Insurance companys are all different and make up their own rules and vary from state to state.

Make sure when you talk (If) to the insurance company you get name rankd and serial number of who gives you the info.

An $800 repair would take an increase of $25 a month for almost 3 years to end up costing you more than the repair itself. Considering most insurance companies don't use your history for more than 3 years and if they did bump your rates it would not be for that long, why not submit the claim. Your talking about $800 gauranteed out of pocket vs. several if's, will they raise my rates at all?, if so by how much and for how long? I think calling them is still a good idea but don't let insurance company tactics terrorize you into paying for something that you already pay them for. IMO
smile.gif

Thanks for the help guys/gals!
wink.gif

I guess I'll give USAA a call with a WHAT IF scenario and see what they say.

Thanks again,

Josh
pirate.gif

I would talk to the insurance co. , you can ask about it without turning it in .

Back