Internet Connection

CorrodedAlien

Registered
OK... I have a standard DSL connection and have issues continually with it's speed. I am considering going to a Business Class connection, either Cable or another DSL.

I have asked customers around the country (and the UK) and it seems the SF Bay Area has some of the crappiest internet service providers around.

I am gainfully self (un)employeed and do remote computer work out of my house.

What are you using to surf?

Do you run a business on it as well or are you a cube dweller?

Bummer...

I've just got a 2mb line in, though most of my work is downloading rather than uploading.

Don't forget when the ISP quotes bandwidth, thats downstream to your PC.
Upstream can generally be only a quarter of your downstream.

Hence the A in ADSL (asymmetric).

I use comcast at 6Mb+. Their speed, uptime, and reliability blows away my old DSL line. I run a consulting business from my home office.

2.8 megabits per second

Communications 2.8 megabits per second
Storage 344.2 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 3 seconds
Subjective rating Great

Bellsouth DSL...

OBTW - I looked here and got a 603 for connection, 13 seconds for DL of a 1meg file, and some sh*tty upload speed.

Speed Test
I think that speed test site just sucks. I got like 812 and I've never seen my speed that low.

I'm in the sticks and we just got DSL out here last December. The guy that did the install used this site to test the speed:
http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

I average a little over 2200 using Chicago which is closest to me and around 1900 for California.
Upload is always 320 for me and being on DSL, I don't think anything can be done about that.

I just came from dial up to 1.5 meg DigiSpeed DSL so it seems fast to me
laugh.gif

4.5 megabits per second

Communications 4.5 megabits per second
Storage 549.1 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 1.9 seconds
Subjective rating Awesome
AAAssjani.gif

Try tweaking for speed at BroadbandReports.com. Follow the directions after the test.

My cablespeed is between 4600kb/sec and 5200kb/sec but upspeed is only around 600kb/sec

Before tweaking i was hovering around 3800kb/sec

<!--EDIT|Iced
Reason for Edit: None given...|1133325861 -->

I use optimum online (cable connection) this is what i was rated at.

Communications 4.1 megabits per second
Storage 506.2 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 2 seconds

Communications 4 megabits per second
Storage 487.6 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 2.1 seconds

Roadrunner in Florida ( Brighthouse which is Time Warner which is AOL )

Was just contemplating going to Verizon DSL and saving $240 a year. any Verizon DSL users?

i don't do nuffin constructive with my DSL.. but I'm very happy with it.

course i'm only about 200 yards from the little building with all the stuff in it.. I always hear that distance is very important in DSL.. I dunno.. i just know i'm happy.. no problems consistantly adequate speeds (I dunno the numbers.. I just know I can do what I want without alot of sitting aroudn waiting).

The place I work runs cable.. and i'm never been that impressed with that.. course they are splitting it, or routing,, or whatever you geeks say into about 8 different computers.. so I'm sure that doesn't help things. It's still adequate.. but my dsl kicks its ass most of the time. .. plus the cable goes down on occassion.. the dsl has never been down that I've noticed.

oh.. it's verizon dsl also if that matters..

and charter cable at work.

Yeah Man, I have allways had great success with the cable modem. Fat band width, never have outages, and relatively cheap. I think we are at 4gb up here in the NW as well. Super fast.

here in Sac, i got 1.2 megs, 6.8 sec for 1 MB file download, subjective rating good. Charter broadband, but i think my wireless router may slow me down just a touch. Still fast compared to the dial up I had at home for years...no
DSL available out where I am.

Communications 6.5 megabits per second
Storage 795 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 1.3 seconds

Cable.
biggrin.gif

cable... no tweaking..

Speed
2.2 megabits per second

Communications 2.2 megabits per second
Storage 271.5 kilobytes per second