Ok techies, help me out

TheWheelman

Registered
Ok, so, here is the story, there are two computers in my house, mine and my roommate's, we are on cable internet, the cable comes in to my roommates room, to the cable modem, there is an ethernet cable from the modem to the wireless router, and then an ethernet cable from the router to the ethernet card in his computer. I have a wireless card in my computer and am able to connect just fine, the set up of the hardware is not the problem. the problem is, that the wireless connection is not secure, and since his computer is on a hardline connection, he doesnt have a wireless card, and i cannot for the life of me figure out how to enable the WEP encryption for the connection, our network is just open to any a hole with a wireless card, so someone please help me to get this thing secured, i feel like a total dumbass, but when my roommate set up the connection, i wasnt there and he is not exactly computer savvy, so he just made it unsecured.

thanks for any help

-WHEELMAN

at least set up a password for now.
vader1.gif

WEP is the way to go, but it's setup is kinda tricky first time through, make certain you have the IP of your Router/Firewall and a hardline going to it first.

He he, locking yourself out of your own Wireless router is really embarrassing, ask me how I know.
laugh.gif

it is a D link router and the card in my computer is a D link as well the router is model DL-524 Wireless G

how do i get the ip of the router?

WEP is the way to go, but it's setup is kinda tricky first time through, make certain you have the IP of your Router/Firewall and a hardline going to it first.  

He he, locking yourself out of your own Wireless router is really embarrassing, ask me how I know.
laugh.gif
yeah, its tricky, hence my question, how the hell do you get it done, step by step

OK, nevermind ya'll, found the freakin router software, took 2 minutes, done deal wep encrypted my network, thanks for the input!

-WHEELMAN

Personally, if the card and router support it, I would use WPA instead of WEP. WEP is toooooo easy to hack. I've got all the toolz I need on my cell phone to hack into a WEP network.

Also, DISABLE (turn off) the SSID broadcast. This means that you'll be hiding the name of your wireless network.

For even more protection, after doing the above, restrict access to the wireless network to only YOUR MAC address (hardware address of your wireless card).

Personally, if the card and router support it, I would use WPA instead of WEP.  WEP is toooooo easy to hack.  I've got all the toolz I need on my cell phone to hack into a WEP network.

Also, DISABLE (turn off) the SSID broadcast.  This means that you'll be hiding the name of your wireless network.

For even more protection, after doing the above, restrict access to the wireless network to only YOUR MAC address (hardware address of your wireless card).
unfortunately our low cost network equiptment does not support wpa, but i can restrict the access to certain users hardware i believe.

-WHEELMAN

Personally, if the card and router support it, I would use WPA instead of WEP.  WEP is toooooo easy to hack.  I've got all the toolz I need on my cell phone to hack into a WEP network.

Also, DISABLE (turn off) the SSID broadcast.  This means that you'll be hiding the name of your wireless network.

+1

Restrict the wireless side to only allow MACs you list in the table.

limit MACs and number of allowable IPs to those meant to be there.
WEP will work for the most part...you ususally won't have to worry about being hacked if you aren't a "target".

As for your freind's ethernet tether, he just needs to shut the thing off when he isn't around.

Change the default starting IP and make sure the "wake on LAN" feature is disabled (many PCs have this).

Assign the IPs to each device and disable the DHCP.

Google the model number of the router you gave...there are several pages on setting it up.

DLink technical support and their online tutorials will help.

<!--EDIT|BusaCruise
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145414671 -->

In my neighborhood alone there must be half a dozen wireless networks that are unsecured. You could sit outside their houses with a laptop and surf the Internet on their connection for free, and probably access files on their PCs as well.

People need to be educated about this stuff when they buy wireless equipment.

Unfortunately, the stores that sell it to them don't seem to care (in fact, some of them can't/don't secure their wireless networks properly either!)

unfortunately our low cost network equiptment does not support wpa, but i can restrict the access to certain users hardware i believe.

-WHEELMAN
turn off SSID for sure... give me 3 minutes with my linux laptop and your wep is history... WEP is like having a glass front door in the ghetto..... It keeps the honest people out and thats about it......

WPA WPA2

Quoted for truth.

WEP is pretty easy to break, if somebody wants in bad enough. MAC filtering is helpful too, but again not impossible to fake. Basically, do the most you can tolerate. In the end, what you want is to make it more difficult to break into your system than anything you have is worth.

make it cost more (or take longer) to get in than the value of your files, and you're set. If you've got nothing important on your PC and you keep backups of your downloaded music then WEP should be enough to keep non-techie neighbors from leeching your 'net for free.

Back