Ok, I need a network guru, getting mad!

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
Ok guys I need help. I have a wireless network set up here at home. I have one computer that has the wireless adaptor, and I have two other computers that have wireless antennas. One works fine, but the other is giving me fits. I have WPA enabled and I can not find out what my network key is. Can anyone help me? I thought I knew, but I cant find it and the computer I am trying to connect to the network times out when I input what I think the key is. :banghead:

What brand router? Some of them you can login to the router and it will display your key. Worst case, just login to the router and change the key...then change it on your PCs

I have the wireless router hardwired to the main computer. The other two use a USB adaptor to connect to the network. One connects automatically, the other one asks me for the network key when trying to connect to the network. Where do I find the network key? Or, how can I turn this off?

from a dos prompt, run ipconfig /all and it will show your default gateway /dhcp server address.. usually 192.168.0.1 I believe. put that ip addy in your browser on a machine that is working and you should be able to log into it with the username/password you installed.

I could not log into the router. I had to reset the router and assign a new key. I have it going my way now, I was just afraid to reset the router. I wrote the key down this time. Thank you everyone!

Glad you got it going. Yep, if all else fails, reset it. LOL

You can always log into the router with a machine connected to it with a cable. Then you can access the administration pages where you can find the key. Just remember initial setup is best done with a machine physically connected to the router.

You can always log into the router with a machine connected to it with a cable. Then you can access the administration pages where you can find the key. Just remember initial setup is best done with a machine physically connected to the router.

Thank you. I could get to the log in page, but could not log in. Apparently, I changed the password..:whistle: So the only way to to do it was reset the router. I was just hoping there was another way.

I think the Linksys has the key printed on a label somewhere. Reference the user manual(lol), look at the mfg website for that model or call tech support for where to find the key w/o resetting the router.
Posted via Mobile Device

and fwiw, you definitely want to lock it down. I cant tell you how many "open" access points/wireless routers I've connected to to jump online for something. :whistle:

And change that login password... heck I've carved out my own IP space on the neighbor's router and locked him out before cuz he left it at the default :laugh: (and yeah, he knew I was messin with him)

That is toooooooooo funny, I am having exact issues now. My desktop works fine, but other 2 craptops wont connect. They show they are connected at great strength, but you can not connect to the internet. One is running vista and one is runnning XP. We can log onto the router either. It is a linksys as well. I have come to the conclusion that the router is StUpId!!!!!!!

That is toooooooooo funny, I am having exact issues now. My desktop works fine, but other 2 craptops wont connect. They show they are connected at great strength, but you can not connect to the internet. One is running vista and one is runnning XP. We can log onto the router either. It is a linksys as well. I have come to the conclusion that the router is StUpId!!!!!!!

With a Linksys router, you must be connected (wired) to that router in order to log into it. If you forget the user name & p/w then you'll have to reset it.
default user name is blank and the p/w is admin.

I've seen "vista" pc , seem like they are connected when they really are not.

FYI change our admin password in your router periodically, Dlink, Lynksys and such have the same access interface IP address to pull up the configurations screens 1XX.1JJ.X.X. some people have fun getting into this with a net stumbler and changing peoples setting within their WAP:whistle::whistle::whistle:but what do I know, it's not like I've done it to my neighbor or anything:whistle:

Back