Ok computer gurus, give me your opinion.

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
I have a wireless router connected to the cable modem. I can only connect so many devices to the router before something else gets kicked off. How can I connect multiple devices without booting something off the network? I have 4 computers, a printer, and 2 xboxes connected. Do I need two routers? But then wouldnt I have to have another cable modem?

If any of those devices are wired and close together you could hook up a small switch. Or, you could hook the switch up just behind the router where the network cables go into the router, does that make sense? Another option would be to get a router that can support larger number of devices.

Small Switch

Netgear - FS105NA - 5 Port 10/100Mbps Network Switch at TigerDirect.com

Be careful when upgrading to N, some devices will not operate on the wireless router unless it is backward compatible with G/B. Also, going to an N router will not make any difference unless it can support more devices than his current configuration.

Shoot me a PM if I confused you, maybe I can draw a better picture of what I am talking about. It is easy though, just need to figure out the route you want to take.

I don't understand the limitation. What kind of router do you have now I'd like to look at the specs?

You shouldn't be limited to the number of devices. I have run over 30 devices on a wireless G router before without issue.

Now, if you were trying to download video from all of them at the same time..it would probably time out somebody, but shouldn't kick them off the network...

P.S. The more that you can hardwire to the router, the better.

Hmm, this is all too confusing. I can set it up, but I am not sure how it all works.

Ok well you should have my number so give me a call.. ill be up for a while today. In case you don't have it here it is. 432-847-9588 hope you have the router model so we can figure it out for ya.

Lav has the skills. He can certainly fix your problem.

P.S. Make sure you encrypt wirless, turn off SSID broadcast and MAC filter all the devices you want to allow on your wireless network to keep your neighbors off it....

I had not thought to check the number of devices allowed by your router. For example, on my Linksys I can specify a maximum of 1, 2, etc devices to be able to connect via wireless. You may want to get into the management console of your router and see about increasing the maximum allowed devices. Another good point was mentioned, the more devices you can connect via cable the better.

Somethings not right, most wireless access points can support 250 users. Did you setup a guest account and limit the number of users?

I know my Linksys defaults to 4 wireless users unless you change it. Although, it is about 8 years old now, but still works like a champ. It may be as simple as changing a number in the management section.

I know my Linksys defaults to 4 wireless users unless you change it. Although, it is about 8 years old now, but still works like a champ. It may be as simple as changing a number in the management section.

Oh, I know what you did; when you set up DHCP on your router, you only allowed for a certain number of addresses, and that's why....you just need to up the number of addresses it will allow.

Remember one thing that signal comming in will be shared by all your devices, but it sounds like you are looking to setip a small home network therefore you have lots more devices to add. A switch sounds like a good way to get more wired devices on your network and a good N/G router for multiple wireless devices.

Oh, I know what you did; when you set up DHCP on your router, you only allowed for a certain number of addresses, and that's why....you just need to up the number of addresses it will allow.

This would be my guess too. Some where under DHCP reservations you probably have a number of 4 or 5. If you change that to 10 you'll be safe.

From a router stand point you should be able to address 254 devices before you need to add a second access point. Not saying you would want to do that will a home router though. :beerchug:

If you have any problems finding the setting send me a PM. I can walk you through turning on web enabled access and then I can take a look at it for you remotely.

Back