router as a bridge

Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
Anybody know how to use a wireless router as a bridge?

I've got an extra wireless router pluged into my computer but I lack a wireless
card to tap into my other wireless router. Hate to blow 50 bucks on a card,
if I can get the router to act as a wireless networking card.

You have to be using a specific model to run as a bridge.. Dlink and netgear both make some pretty cheap ones.. You will have to have some device to use as a wireless card though... I know what your talking about and as far as I know that would be almost impossible... You need to get a 30.00 usb wireless stick..

You have to be using a specific model to run as a bridge.. Dlink and netgear both make some pretty cheap ones.. You will have to have some device to use as a wireless card though... I know what your talking about and as far as I know that would be almost impossible... You need to get a 30.00 usb wireless stick..

If you have a Micro Center near you, they sell 802.11n USB sticks for about $15.

I have two of 'em and they work great.

If you have a Micro Center near you, they sell 802.11n USB sticks for about $15.

I have two of 'em and they work great.

I bought a netgear at walmart the other day to use when I go onsite to do repairs... 30.00 for a G not too bad..

yeah your probably right...I was messing around with it the other day and FINALLY
figured it would just be easier to fork over the cash.

What's wrong with a CAT5 cable? Maybe I don't understand what you're trying to do.???

I just re-read your post. So correct me if i am wrong. You are cabled into one wireless router and you want that router to connect to your other wireless router wirelessly because you do not have a wireless card on your computer?

If i understand the scenerio correct then all you have to do is see if the router you are plugged into can act as an Access point. linksys/cisco and i think belkin home routers will do that. Find the settings to prevent the router from acting as a DHCP server and it should pass all requests for an IP addy to your other wireless router.

So now your attached router is acting as an access point and anything connected to it wired or wirelessly will have access to your network. Poof! wireless card!

Hope i made sense.

Back