Internet connection?

05BusaLe

Too much time to kill and money to spend
Donating Member
Registered
I have DSL through my local phone company (Verizon) hooked up to a Linksys wireless acces point.
Now this is fast enough for me for what I do! I just hooked my laptop up to my cell (PDA) phone (also verizon) and I see that it is faster then my DSL?? What is that about?
I guess I will get rid of my DSL and just use the phone!
On another note yes I hacked the registry of the phone so verizon dont know I am using it as a USB modem so they wont charge me for it!

10MB RoadRunner. Not as good as my sister's 30MB FiOS, but oh well...

Hughs net.Have a satelite dish on roof just for the net.It's that or dialup where I'm at.
We use satellite too... Alaweb I think it is called.... it is cheaper than our local cable company deal.... But it goes out when it rains too hard
sad.gif

What speed is your verizon internet connection and how did you test? what speed is your DSL? heck yeah, use the faster cheaper solution! if you are a gamer, expect variable PINGs which will wreck your game. I think Sprint cell in my area is like 3mbps compared to my DSL 1.5mbps

What speed is your verizon internet connection and how did you test?  what speed is your DSL?  heck yeah, use the faster cheaper solution!  if you are a gamer, expect variable PINGs which will wreck your game.  I think Sprint cell in my area is like 3mbps compared to my DSL 1.5mbps
DSL 768kbps tested to 660kbps
USB modem 1.9mbps

Tested with www.dslreports.com

I have been hacking the crap out of this phone and was able to turn on the usb modem feature that verizon hides by not enabling it! Then through another reg hack I was able to hide the fact that I use it as a usb modem from verizon so they dont charge me $15 more per month!

That's a very basic ( and inexpensive) dsl connection.

You should be able to get FIOS where you are. 20mb down, 5 up.

I got the basic because posting on forums like this is the most online stuff I do.
I dont play games or anything like that!

I live in a co-op apartment complex where all the buildings are spread out over a big area, so verizon dont want to update this area they say it is not worth it to them?

DSL at home, and I have multiple computers on a wireless network. My laptop has a AT&T air card, its just as fast as the DSL.
beerchug.gif

Used to be the speed limit was imposed by the connection.. now connections are faster than the hard drives... my 50/5 rarely runs more than 1.8mps and my 100mps averages about 10mps in real traffic.

The other factor is that your download is limited by the slowest network in the path to your destination...

I got the basic because posting on forums like this is the most online stuff I do.
I dont play games or anything like that!

I live in a co-op apartment complex where all the buildings are spread out over a big area, so verizon dont want to update this area they say it is not worth it to them?
I gotcha,

Those type of complexes can be a PITA to rewire.

They'll get to it when there's enough money to be made in tv.

Cable. Costs less than DSL and it's much faster. I'm not at home at the moment so I can't run the check on speed but I recall seeing plenty of d/l stats which read as high as 700.

--Wag--

Back