DSL or CABLE

(RODIMUS @ Jun. 03 2007,10:10) Not trying to sound like a dipshit. But I know very little about DSL setup. Can I still use my router with DSL so I can still have all the computers in my house connected like I do now with cable?

Ya, I'd say that 99% of my internet use is just web browsing (Mostly Forums) or email. Once in a while I'll download something but not often.
If you are referring to the router and not the cable modem yes, for this case all routers are created equal and will work with cable or DSL
biggrin.gif

The modem (cable or DSL) takes the signal from the provider and converts it so you can use standard cat cabling for the network. so the routers will work for either

Doh, just reread your question and I think your asking about what bike.

Not to get off subject but I've got a '01 BMW RT-P (Expolice bike).

(RODIMUS @ Jun. 03 2007,12:32) For just basic surfing is it better to have a faster download or a faster upload?
For normal users you always want faster download times.

The only reason to be concerned with upload times is if you are doing a lot of uploading or allowing people to download data from your computer (such as if you had a file server)

Otherwise just for browsing upload speed isn't important. I mean you need it for sending out requests for data, and acknowledgment of received data, but that is pretty much about it

(RODIMUS @ Jun. 03 2007,14:37) What is your package ratting?
I am rated for max 3mb download. However I am at the very end of the DSL line.. almost outside of service boundary (well was, I will explain later) so my signal is about as week as you can get. I cant even get the 6mb package because of my distance.

However about a 1/2 a mile father away that "WAS" out of the service area, AT&T ran fiber optics to a local switch to service houses farther away and they have the ability to get fiber right to their house.

So if I were father away I would have the option for fiber and I could get ALLLLL the band width I wanted to pay for
biggrin.gif

Another thing to consider (which I just did) is, if you have a house that does not already have CAT5 or CAT 6 wired in it, then if they come out to install DSL have them run a new CAT5 cable to the room you want the main connection.

You can experience a lot of noise that will degrade your signal using standard old copper wire.

It is not a "requirement" and I had been using the standard house wiring for the last 5 years, but I wanted to tweak it out to get everything I could out of it. so the AT&T tech helped me run my own wire. I had the cat% spool and he ran it and made the connections for me, pretty cool guy

(Professor @ Jun. 02 2007,23:20) It is going to depend on your area.
+1. In my service area the cable may be a little faster but the downtime and pitiful service from Comcast (Adelphia) is enough to almost put some folks out of business who work from home.

I'm no fan of BellSouth/ATT but the 99.999 % uptime here makes all the difference. Also, I hear they're working on 25 mbps service too...
AAAssjani.gif

(RODIMUS @ Jun. 03 2007,14:32) Doh, just reread your question and I think your asking about what bike.

Not to get off subject but I've got a '01 BMW RT-P (Expolice bike).
my dad had the same bike x CHP bmw.
biggrin.gif

(RODIMUS @ Jun. 02 2007,20:00) Guess I should add this...

Here is what I'm thinking of getting
https://swot.sbc.com/swot....%20CART

The Charter I have now is 3.0Mbps
I have DSL @ 3 MB. My provider offers 6 MB DSL, but I don't need the extra speed for the $$$ they are asking. I'd do DSL over cable any day since the dedicated line isn't impacted by the number of people in the neighbohood on the cable with you. It is also more secure since you aren't line sharing in the neighborhood.

The down side is that you need to be less than 3,000 ft from the DSLAM (the multiplexer for your area) in order for it to work properly and maintain the advertized speed. The closer to the 3,000 foot limit, the less stable the connection. Some providers will do intallations further than 3,000 ft and hope you don't have a bunch of noticable problems.

Back