Insurance

BredForBusaz

Registered
Hey.  Im a new member to this board but I've been here a lot. I'm trying to get a relatively new GSX-R 1000. I dont have any street riding experience. I'm wondering if you could give me any ideas about what insurance would be like. And i know i should get a smaller first bike so you dont need to tell me. Im the type that's gonna go for it anyways.

P.S Im and 18 yr old male...(yea i know its not pretty)

<!--EDIT|BredForBusaz
Reason for Edit: None given...|1090549145 -->

good luck-- you need it
smile.gif

Uh...How old are you???Single???Gender???What's your driving history like???
evil.gif

Unless you got a trick up your sleeve I would imagine in CA. that the insurance would cost you more per month than a bike note at 4 yrs...
evil.gif

My advice is to get something that you can straight up pay cash for and get liability....or.....buy a bike that does not say GSXR on the side. Anything else and your gonna be paying a house payment every month if you can get insured.

....well...maybe not a Cali house payment

Good luck! Been there done that so I kinda know how you feel.

Dan

Yea im assuming it would cost more than the bike. And yea im in cali. I wouldn't mind paying 250 a month. Its my only expense at this point. I am going to school to be an aviation maintenance tech. Basically an aircraft mechanic. And i Work. I want a bike to ride between those two things and home. Im just wondering if you think i could get something for around 250 a month.

I'm 22... My insurance agen laughed at me when I was looking at GSXR's and R6's... I had the MSF class and a clean record with 1 year of riding experienceI ended up with a Bandit 1200S and my ins is less then $700/yr... and that's full coverage 100/300/100 with a $500 deductable. I'll will tell you that this bike is a handful. I would recommend learning on something with 600-750 cc's and little or no plastic. Plastic is expensive if you even tip it over. Best of luck to you. Keep us posted.

Your best bet in State Farm insurance. You can't have more than one ticket with them, so you are good to go there. They rate bike across the board on displacement for the most part, so it's likely your best bet. If it's not an option, try Progressive.

I used to sell bikes for a few years. I would never put a new street rider into a 'Busa or GSXR1000 (or 750 for that matter). I'd strongly suggest an MSF course, track days at Willow Springs and a decent "disposable" CBR600F2/3 or R6 for a season before moving into the 'Busa or GSXRYZFCBRZX1000+
cool.gif

That's just my opinion of course. By the way, guys who ride dirt 1st are usually the best street-rides. I think it's because they already understand counter-steering.:blush:

Insuring a 1000 is going to be pricey, Seriously pricey... I would consider looking at a used 600 something... and remember tell the Insurance folks that your 600cc is actually a 599cc... But really starting on a 1000 is going to be expensive, and a little extra hazardous... I wouldn't recommend it...

90% of time as a new rider you will never miss the performance difference between the two and the 600 should be easier to insure.

My .02

Perfect learners bike that is still a hoot and has a huge after market? Suzuki SV650... Cool, well respected bike, with a large aftermarket... means you can have a ton of fun without getting hurt in the wallet or on the road...

good suggestion on the sv, great bike....

he's trying got get a 1000 not a busa, but still good freakin luck
biggrin.gif

I think your right...i was thought about it and im convinced i need a 600. I think its going to be the gixxer 600. Hopefully insurance will be better for that.

Age and driving record make the biggest difference next is the size of the bike as in CC's. I would check out some 600's there alot cheeper to buy and insure. The new 600's are faster than the 1000's were 10 years ago. Good luck wear your gear and ride safe.

Back