I'm thinking of buying a Busa....Question

If it's a gen 1, then yes. If you're sitting in traffic for a decent amount of time in high heat, yes, it will heat up. It's just the nature of the bike. Cheapest and easiest fix is to get something like water wetter or liquid ice. Add it to the coolant and it'll keep it a lot cooler.

As for the starting issue, yes, when it gets hot the it does increase the starter draw and it does make it a little harder to start; however, I've never had it not start. It's always started back up.
Posted via Mobile Device

I live in manhattan and my 07 busa is almost inoperable during heavy traffic during the daytime in the summer. Last year my cylinder head cracked (Suzuki replaced). This year i began to have overheating problems again while in heavy traffic coming back to the city from ocean city, maryland over memorial day weekend. It was probably 98 degrees that day and traffic was sllooow...moving but slow....15-25mph for miles. I began to overheat...3/4 and climbing so i had to shut her down. I checked my radiator level and it was slightly low so i topped it off. After that, the bike would get too hot in traffic even with the fan running 24/7 (i have a switch). So finally, i drove it from nyc to buffalo to a dealer i trust and they have checked everything on the bike and can not find anything wrong. They say everything is within spec. They did a leak down test cold and hot. The fan cycles properly....on and on and on. All that i know is, when i drive the bike in nyc traffic on a hot day i find myself lane splitting constantly to keep her cool. I'm befuddled. Needless to say, i will not be taking the busa back to the city. It will now sit in storage until i figure out what to do with it. I recently purchased a '98 honda superhawk for my city bike. It runs at completely normal temps in the traffic that the busa would get very hot in. This is just my experience with my busa. DON'T GET ME WRONG, I LOVE RIDING MY BUSA AND HAVE PUT SIGNIFICANT $$ INTO IT BECAUSE I LOVE IT. But since I have been riding it in heavy NYC traffic, it has been the biggest pain in my a**. I bought it new as a leftover in '08. It has 9,000 miles on it and has always been serviced properly and timely.

Last edited:
The GenII have slightly bigger motor and more horsepower so they are going to generate slightly more heat so the extra fan is added in precaution. Sorry your and your buddies have heating problems cause I ride all the time in traffic getting off base in 105 degree heat index and my fan comes on and off on occassion but its not a heating problem. Might want to drain you radiator and add some water wetter to it. Does the job well. And you might not have a heating "problem"
I have the same results with my 03, never overheats regardless of the conditions. It handles temps just like my cars, better than any other water-cooled bike I've ever owned :thumbsup:

I am told that the Busa will run kinda Hot (not overheat), in stop and go traffic.......fan kicking in to cool down. And that they'll take a couple of seconds to start when the engine is hot. Do these sound normal for a Busa?

Thanks
Willy

I live in Houston Tx.. And there is a lot of stop and go traffic.. (only worse is Dallas which I can't explain, NY and LA)... Either way, I have an 07 with 14.5k miles on her, has some battle damage and now a leak. In stop in go traffic she is extremely hot under my butt, but I hear the fan come on and she maintains at operating temp. Although my buttcheeks and manhood aren't happy, the bike isn't having any problems.

my bud and I have 08s with a few different mods. In stop and go traffic or running in extreme temps without sustaining any decent speed when we shut down and try to restart real soon his will give him fits. The difference? He has the rectifier relocated from under his bike to under the tail fairing. Since he's done this mod he's had trouble restarting when the bike is really hot.

my bud and I have 08s with a few different mods. In stop and go traffic or running in extreme temps without sustaining any decent speed when we shut down and try to restart real soon his will give him fits. The difference? He has the rectifier relocated from under his bike to under the tail fairing. Since he's done this mod he's had trouble restarting when the bike is really hot.

Probably isnt getting enough air to cool off....

Gen II has NO overheating issues. I'd be more concerned with the "rush of blood" issue, that is when the blood gets a trifle warm and excited. It tends to have consequences with your balance, that is, your bank balance.
Post 2008 bikes are just Super. So you need not be concerned about anything except whether you can control that right hand (on the throttle that is!). It's quite a story, in ANY GEAR and at ANY engine speed. Highly recommended.

LOL, nope. He says it kills his aerodynamics on the strip. (I think he's joking) And it looks ugly since he's torn off the lower wing a couple times. He's not as careful as me going over the bumps.:whistle:

LOL, nope. He says it kills his aerodynamics on the strip. (I think he's joking) And it looks ugly since he's torn off the lower wing a couple times. He's not as careful as me going over the bumps.:whistle:

??? ...... :laugh: well hopefully it doesnt cause anything else to go wrong!

The GenII have slightly bigger motor and more horsepower so they are going to generate slightly more heat so the extra fan is added in precaution. Sorry your and your buddies have heating problems cause I ride all the time in traffic getting off base in 105 degree heat index and my fan comes on and off on occassion but its not a heating problem. Might want to drain you radiator and add some water wetter to it. Does the job well. And you might not have a heating "problem"

I did the water wetter to my 05 LE and never had any issues. My 08's do much better...

Another rider here with NO overheating problems whatsoever, in all conditions. 09 Gen II. Gets hot on the legs sometimes though...

Back