I'm thinking of buying a Busa....Question

Big_Willy

Registered
I am told that the Busa will run kinda Hot (not overheat), in stop and go traffic.......fan kicking in to cool down. And that they'll take a couple of seconds to start when the engine is hot. Do these sound normal for a Busa?

Thanks
Willy

I am told that the Busa will run kinda Hot (not overheat), in stop and go traffic.......fan kicking in to cool down. And that they'll take a couple of seconds to start when the engine is hot. Do these sound normal for a Busa?

Thanks
Willy

Well the answer is no sportbike likes stop & go traffic. Riding in it isn't any fun either IMO. But my Busa has never given me any problems when I have happened to get stuck in traffic. It has a lot of plastics on it that help keep the heat down and off the rider.

:welcome: to the org! Be sure to post up pics if you get a bike.

i have an 08, and yes in traffic the fans will kick on but once they do it never gets any hotter, it is normal operation, very common. I do believe the gen 1's (99-07) only have one fan to aid in cooling the engine, but i've never heard of it resulting in any type of damage from the engine getting to hot. I know on the gen 1's you can add another fan to help. Are you worried it'll get to hot and damage something?? These are great machines, don't let the rumors sway you from getting the busa...hope this helps..I know others will respond with their input and experience shortly.

Last edited:
Thanks Takeuon. Does your bike take a couple more turns of the starter to start after you've rode for a while?

Thanks
Willy

It gets hot, and yes the fan comes on. Nothing out of the ordinary for a sportbike in Texas summer though.

Thanks IRDEATH. No, I'm not worried about damage from heat. I just wanted to know if these are busa norms and that I'm not buying a bike with a heat problem.

Willy

Welcome to the oRg. My 05 has never given me any issues related to overheating or hard starting. :welcome:

Thanks Andy. I haven't even gotten my Busa yet and you guys already make me feel welcome. I've only been a member of this site for about 20 minutes and I think it's great!!!

Willy

Gen 1's do overheat in extended traffic, depending on the situation. Gen 2's are fine, that's why they added a second fan.

Never had a problem with my Gen I overheating, I dont think its even gotten hot, As a matter of fact My VTX fan kicks on more than the Busa.

As for starting, No problems here either.

===================================================================

eureka misty.jpg

I worry more about my clutch hand while stuck in traffic than I do the heat of the bike. Never had any starting problems, either. If I forget to move the "startup lever" for a cold start it might die, but once I do it right, everything is fine :laugh:

My 05 gets hot in traffic and the fan kicks on but no overheating trouble. i do plan to install a second fan just for kicks. But no they dont have heat problems. They get hot like any other high performance motor does in traffic

My 05 gets hot in traffic and the fan kicks on but no overheating trouble. i do plan to install a second fan just for kicks. But no they dont have heat problems. They get hot like any other high performance motor does in traffic

If it wasn't a problem, they wouldn't have added a second fan for the 2nd gen bikes.

Mine, and 2 of my friend's bikes will all overheat if in parade style traffic for 30 minutes in 90* weather. The newest bike is an 07 with less than 10k for milage, and it overheats in traffic just like mine.

It's the only real complaint I have about my bike, it does everything else exceptionally well. But to deny there is a problem with them is foolish, IMHO. Do a search, there are plenty of threads about other gen 1's overheating in traffic.

Again, it only shows up when it's 85+ outside and you're not moving for an extended period of time, but it does happen. Other sportbikes do not do it to the same magnitude of the gen 1's.

If it wasn't a problem, they wouldn't have added a second fan for the 2nd gen bikes.

Mine, and 2 of my friend's bikes will all overheat if in parade style traffic for 30 minutes in 90* weather. The newest bike is an 07 with less than 10k for milage, and it overheats in traffic just like mine.

It's the only real complaint I have about my bike, it does everything else exceptionally well. But to deny there is a problem with them is foolish, IMHO. Do a search, there are plenty of threads about other gen 1's overheating in traffic.

Again, it only shows up when it's 85+ outside and you're not moving for an extended period of time, but it does happen. Other sportbikes do not do it to the same magnitude of the gen 1's.

The GenII have slightly bigger motor and more horsepower so they are going to generate slightly more heat so the extra fan is added in precaution. Sorry your and your buddies have heating problems cause I ride all the time in traffic getting off base in 105 degree heat index and my fan comes on and off on occassion but its not a heating problem. Might want to drain you radiator and add some water wetter to it. Does the job well. And you might not have a heating "problem"

Thanks Takeuon. Does your bike take a couple more turns of the starter to start after you've rode for a while?
mine does. if i spend a lot of time sitting in traffic it will overheat in the summer, day or night. im talking like 45 minutes in 5 o clock gridlock. it will get so hot that i have to get off the seat and if i cut it off it will take 2-3 short attempts to start it back up.

Yup, in stop'n go traffic on hot days it feels like a blow torch on the right calf but once you get going the feeling dissipates right quick.

On my 06, the fan will cut on, the temp drops, the fan cuts off, but no overheating problems. If I cut it off for a few minutes while she's hot, I just crack the throttle a tad and she fires right up.

Back